B/W Personal workstation (Log)

Cancelled build - Waiting until another year

Reserved for pics

seems nice but if it is a workstation you might aswell look into buying a xeon e3-1231 v3 :) it is quad core with HT and base clock at 3.4 ghz boost 3.8 ghz so you get pretty similar to stock 4690k and even tho you loose oc'ing you get HT for the same price as a 4690k and i htink the xeon would be better value for a workstation then :) 

seems nice but if it is a workstation you might aswell look into buying a xeon e3-1231 v3 :) it is quad core with HT and base clock at 3.4 ghz boost 3.8 ghz so you get pretty similar to stock 4690k and even tho you loose oc'ing you get HT for the same price as a 4690k and i htink the xeon would be better value for a workstation then :)

I already have a z97 mobo.

There's too much emphasis placed on calling a system a workstation, server or gaming rig. My comment is more practical - CPU choice in your case might be less important than amount of storage and memory for most "workstation" applications - even non pro grade software is going to consume that 120GB SSD pretty quick, let alone adding any large game apps.

Zeus: Dual Xeon E5-2695v3 | 128GB DDR4 ECC | Asus Z10PE-D16 WS | 2-way SLI EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 | Corsair AX1200i | Fractal Design Define XL R2 | Das KB & Razor Chroma mouse

Yoda: HP DL380p Gen8 | Dual Xeon E5-2697v2 | 256GB DDR3 ECC | Dual Nvidia Tesla K40c | Dual 1200w PSU | 3X 146GB 15K SAS 2.5" HDD | CentOS 7 | Headless

There's too much emphasis placed on calling a system a workstation, server or gaming rig. My comment is more practical - CPU choice in your case might be less important than amount of storage and memory for most "workstation" applications - even non pro grade software is going to consume that 120GB SSD pretty quick, let alone adding any large game apps.

Well I'm not doing business grade work but I do stuff like Photoshop and video production. My build doesn't need to be overpowered therefore I can afford it earlier.

• 1 month later...

Can you make the color "automatic" so day theme users can read this?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Try to go for a R9 390 as it is as powerful and has more VRAM than the GTX 970

Also change the color on automatic (Day theme user here)