Over clocking and psu questions

yoshiii

Hello

I have a i7 4790k, 16gb DDR3 ram, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 mb. Have a GTX 660 but will change to a GTX 970 or 980ti.

I have a about 5 year old Scythe Kamariki 4 750 watt psu. The voltages seem fine on it.

I want to over clock.   Should I change out the psu for a new one or should I be fine?

If it seems fine why not, i would upgrade sometime soonish. Whats the gpu, doubt you will be anywhere close to 750 watts with single gpu.

If it seems fine why not, i would upgrade sometime soonish. Whats the gpu, doubt you will be anywhere close to 750 watts with single gpu.

I forgot to add, I mean I will over clock the CPU not gpu.

Added other parts to my system to such as the gpu.

I could not find a review on this exact psu and thus I can't make the recommendation that you overclock with this.  It does not mean you can't and I did find one review of a Scythe Kamariki 4 psu that was of lower wattage but they could get much more out of it than it said it could put out.  It also was what I would call an 80+ rated psu.  However I also found a review of Scythe Kamariki 4 650 watt psu that really struggled to just meet the basic performance requirements of what the psu was intended to do.  So good luck to you OP and if you overclock with that psu.  Here is hoping it goes well for you.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I forgot to add, I mean I will over clock the CPU not gpu.

Added other parts to my system to such as the gpu.

should be fine still, i couldn't find any reviews of this psu also. Chances are it doesn't still put out 750 watts, a cpu oc won't add that much more strain. But it is getting up in age so keep a eye on it and get rid of the oc if you notice anything strange.

should be fine still, i couldn't find any reviews of this psu also. Chances are it doesn't still put out 750 watts, a cpu oc won't add that much more strain. But it is getting up in age so keep a eye on it and get rid of the oc if you notice anything strange.

Would the system kicking on and off {sleep} every 15 mins or so with inactivity {not being used}  and it later shutting off be anything to do with the psu or could my os settings be messed up?

Would the system kicking on and off {sleep} every 15 mins or so with inactivity {not being used} and it later shutting off be anything to do with the psu or could my os settings be messed up?

it could be a little of both, im not sure if this has the low power modes. Honestly my monitor won't come back on after sleep, tried with 2 different pcs. Have you tried hibernate?

it could be a little of both, im not sure if this has the low power modes. Honestly my monitor won't come back on after sleep, tried with 2 different pcs. Have you tried hibernate?

I havent set anything.  I just built the system last week and havent changed anything in the os.

I havent set anything. I just built the system last week and havent changed anything in the os.

i think its called c states in bios. A pc doing nothing doesnt comsume to much power,still more than sleep but, not bad less than some light bulbs.

i think its called c states in bios. A pc doing nothing doesnt comsume to much power,still more than sleep but, not bad less than some light bulbs.

ok,

Was just concerned about the pc spinning up and shutting down in sleep over and over than shutting down.

What would be the strange things you said to watch out for with the psu?

ok,

Was just concerned about the pc spinning up and shutting down in sleep over and over than shutting down.

What would be the strange things you said to watch out for with the psu?

yes, if it wasn't connected with sleep mode i would be. Does it act strange underload? A dying psu will most likey give you blue screens, shutdowns, sometimes usb ports will disconnect. When it outright shuts off during load or gaming then its probably psu. Waking up from sleep and going back to sleep sounds like either a unsupported feature or something else minor.

yes, if it wasn't connected with sleep mode i would be. Does it act strange underload? A dying psu will most likey give you blue screens, shutdowns, sometimes usb ports will disconnect. When it outright shuts off during load or gaming then its probably psu. Waking up from sleep and going back to sleep sounds like either a unsupported feature or something else minor.

The old system that I had the psu acted strange

I had the psu in a Old Dell XPS 420.  It had the GTX 660, a overclocked q6600 to 3ghz.   It was in that system for almost five years.  The system was on for almost 16hours aday everyday for about 4 years.

The usb ports went out in that, some of them, and it woud blue screen or crash sometimes.  I thought it was because I only had 4gb of ram and had too many web pages opened.

Now that system wont work with the same psu or another one.

The old system that I had the psu acted strange

I had the psu in a Old Dell XPS 420. It had the GTX 660, a overclocked q6600 to 3ghz. It was in that system for almost five years. The system was on for almost 16hours aday everyday for about 4 years.

The usb ports went out in that, some of them, and it woud blue screen or crash sometimes. I thought it was because I only had 4gb of ram and had too many web pages opened.

Now that system wont work with the same psu or another one.

motherboard could of died. It is working and voltage seemed ok you said so i wouldn't worry to much and think about getting a new psu sometime in the next yearish, just to go along with the new system. If it does go and blow up it can take parts with it. Just kinda recommend a 550 watt evga psu to someone, 70 usd isn't bad for piece of mind.

motherboard could of died. It is working and voltage seemed ok you said so i wouldn't worry to much and think about getting a new psu sometime in the next yearish, just to go along with the new system. If it does go and blow up it can take parts with it. Just kinda recommend a 550 watt evga psu to someone, 70 usd isn't bad for piece of mindgS

Since I will over clock, and I am adding a GTX 970 or 980ti, more ssd's and hdd's, a liquid cooler and more case fans and led stripps, maybe I should change out the psu especially if it isn't getting its full 750watts. Don't want to lose this new system.