Samsung 840 Pro SSD Refresh?

So, the Samsung 840 EVO SSD's are to be released next month.

This SSD is meant to sit in between the 840 and the 840 Pro.

Do you think there is any possibility that Samsung will release a refresh to the 840 Pro line as well?

These are my thoughts:

For

• The EVO is 3 bit per cell storage, whereas the Pro is 2 bit per cell. There is an advantage for 2 bit per cell, and the Evo may beat the Pro using 3 bit per cell.
  • The EVO nearly matches (or beats) the Pro in raw statistics. (for example, more than double the 4K reads)here
  • Other SSD brands are starting to produce faster, more reliable SSD's than the Pro.
  • The Pro is due for a refresh.

Against

• Samsung have just had their annual SSD conference thingy
  • The Pro still performs exceptionally well
  • The Pro could be reduced in price

That's all that comes to mind at the moment, got anything else?

P.S. Look at that shiny goodness...

post-29357-0-65584000-1374403181.jpg

If it's not plastic like the 840, i want one.

Good news. I want to see more chrome/black parts.

For
  • The EVO is 3 bit per cell storage, whereas the Pro is 2 bit per cell. There is an obvious advantage over 2 bit per cell.
  • The EVO nearly matches (or beats) the Pro in raw statistics. (for example, more than double the 4K reads)here
  • Other SSD brands are starting to produce faster, more reliable SSD's than the Pro.
  • The Pro is due for a refresh.

MLC is way more reliable than TLC, and normaly faster...so how could TLC be an advantage? It's cheaper to make for samsung, but do you see a 30% price difference to other cheaper MLC drives? i don't. So the "advantage" is more money for samsung.

There is no drive out faster than a 840Pro, and there is a simple reason for that! Sata3 is maxed out, there isn't really a way to get much faster if you stick to Sata3.

MLC is way more reliable than TLC, and normaly faster...

Ahh sorry, looks like I need to clarify. I'm saying that with the EVO being 3 bit per cell Samsung has a big gap they can fill, probably making a much faster version of the Pro, using the techniques from the EVO. 

But yeah, Sata 3 is maxed out. I guess we'll probably be waiting for Sata 4/Sata Express...

If it's not plastic like the 840, i want one.

Good news. I want to see more chrome/black parts.

That's gonna look amazing in any build. 

Ahh sorry, looks like I need to clarify. I'm saying that with the EVO being 3 bit per cell Samsung has a big gap they can fill, probably making a much faster version of the Pro, using the techniques from the EVO. 

But yeah, Sata 3 is maxed out. I guess we'll probably be waiting for Sata 4/Sata Express...

SATA 3 is in no way maxed out. Just look at these real world tests. http://www.ssdreview.com/review/compare/ocz-revodrive-x2-240gb-pci-e-0,samsung-serie-840-250gb-25-inch-dxt06b0q,plextor-px-m5p-256gb-25-inch-102,102,104,105/

This would be better suited in the Tech News forum.

Really glad that there will finally be a suitable consumer-grade 1TB SSD.

Really glad that there will finally be a suitable consumer-grade 1TB SSD.

Does the Crucial M500 960 GB count? :P

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Does the Crucial M500 960 GB count? :P

That product sacrifices speed for space, I believe. This new Samsung SSD gives you best of both worlds.

That product sacrifices speed for space, I believe. This new Samsung SSD gives you best of both worlds.

How many SSD's does Crucial have? 2 iirc?

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

The evo is replacing the 840 from what I have read. Prices will stay the same but preformance for writes will go up slightly and there will be bigger drives available.

I dont think they will refresh the 840 Pro just yet seeing as its still pretty much the best SSD out there.

My Build  CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955@4.1@Ghz Mobo: Asus M5A99x Evo R2.0 GPU: Asus 7870T @1.25GHz Core 5.5GHz Mem Ram: Kingston HyperX@ 1600 9-9-9-24 CPU Cooler: H80 Push/Pull Noctua NF-P12  SSD: Samsung 128GB 840 PRO HDD: Mix of drives which add up to 5.6TB SoundCard: Asus xonar DGX PSU: Corsair HX650 + alchemy cables Case: R3 with the rest of the fans being fractel fans.

Im A Snake.....

I dont think they will refresh the 840 Pro just yet seeing as its still pretty much the best SSD out there.

Consumer wise it has one of the best (if not the best) sequential speeds. I dont know how ever how the random speends are or what the preformance ends up looking like after a sustained load.

I assumed someone had made a post about these, considering they were announced about three days ago. But I'll go check, and make a post if someone else hasn't already.