Planar magnetic cans, worth it?

smdMario

Hey guys

I have a pair of semheisers hd558 and i enjoy them quite a lot, i saw at Mexico ebay a pair of HIFIMAN HE400 at a good price and since i have never tried planar magnetic cans i was wondering if the hifiman were a step up from my senheiser hd 558 for openback cans?

Absolutely. Planars have much lower distortion and better bass extension and impact, among other things. Most would agree that the HE400 are a step up from the HD558.

HE-400 is a very well regarded headphone, basically it's the entry level planar magnetic headphone. If you like your treble a bit forward, buy it and you should be happy with it

I could list down a ton of reasons to go for planar magnetic cans, but I'd probably be going off topic.

So, yeah, HE-400 are very well regarded, so go for it.

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

As always, 'worth it' or not is subjective, subject dependent. 

Biggest drawback is the weight. Almost every planars weigh about twice as much, maybe more, compared to dynamics. As for HE-400 specifically, the sound is much better when used with the velour pad, but their velour is hard as a rock. And HE-400 needs a pretty big, stable amount of current, what even something like xonar DG can't provide. 

For me it's worth it, even if sacrificing a certain degree of comfortability. For others, comfortability might comes first.

Ok so i got these puppies (HE-400) and boy they need a lot of juice to power up!, but hot diggity they are good, the base is clearly superior and the sound stage perception is even better, i guess planar magnetic is indeed worth every penny. The blue color also was a win :D. Thank you guys a lot!!!

Ok so i got these puppies (HE-400) and boy they need a lot of juice to power up!, but hot diggity they are good, the base is clearly superior and the sound stage perception is even better, i guess planar magnetic is indeed worth every penny. The blue color also was a win :D. Thank you guys a lot!!!

Awesome choice :D

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.