Is the screen tearing or stuttering really a problem on non G-Sync monitors? (Also: What frames does G-Sync support?)

Vozella
Go to solution Solved by Drakeblade,

(I use a regular monitor at home, though I have used several G-sync at CES and a few at work. I'm waiting for a 500$ IPS 1440p 144hz G-Sync, because that's what I value the upgrade at.)

I notice it, I wouldn't consider it a serious problem. More of a nuisance that can simply be solved with money. Though I've noticed from working at a Lan Center/Computer repair store for the last 4+ years, 95% of people that come in never seem to notice any and if they due it is quickly shuffled out of their brain by their death or a grenade to remember it for long. The people spending the money to upgrade are also usually the people more vocal. It really just depends perceptive you are of the issues and how much they bother you as a person.

Stutter, caused by FPS dips is noticeable by most. Stutter caused by FPS exceeding the hz of the monitor is less noticeable by most.

This is one of those issues that I'd classify as only applicable to most if you are downgrading!!! Most people don't have issues what they use is the best they have used, heck mostly because they don't relies its something fixable or because their brains just expect a certain level of tearing and just relate too poor "computer magic".

Example, Just this weekend, my friend with a 40inch 1080p monitor couldn't see the pixel difference to my 24" 1080p. To me it was glaring, and I found his obviously worse. But from his perspective he couldn't see the details to look for. I'd say with 99% certainty if our position's were switched that he would think the same and so would I. (Who likes admitting an aspect of their 40" 400$ TV is worse then a 24" $120 Monitor also.)

I believe the same rule applies here. If you go from a 120/144hz monitor with or without G-sync a 60hz will show its pains. Increased motion blur, Frames that last longer so both stutters and tears are more obvious. But going the other way from 60 to 144hz, unless shown side by side, most people see more of the same thing, or only slight improvements. Until thrown back to slower/older tech. 

Onto your question on Frame support.

I'm pretty sure G-Sync runs from 30fps+ (Capped at Screen's 60,75,144 etc.hz still) as long as you stay above 30fps and everything supports G-Sync you should be good, or at least every G-Sync monitor I have read works like this.

From what I've read of Freesync on the other hand, it seems to depends on the monitor. Some seem to start at 30+, others seem to have a sweat spot example: from 45-90hz. It is strange and probably will become standard 30+ on most within a generation or two. Though I'd be sure to check with any Freesync monitors you are looking to buy.

I can honestly say in the 4+ years of dealing with customers, I've had less then 10 people complain about screen tearing. The only one I can specifically remember was a gamer who we sold a used cheapo monitor to while his nicer one was shipping.

I have a question for people who use regular monitors without G-Sync. 

Is the screen tearing or stuttering really a problem?

I've never witnessed these problems while gaming but people seem to make a big deal about it saying how they can never go back to a regular monitor.

I can't believe them. There's no way it's that bad. I don't even see it.

Also, since I'm making a post, I want to ask: What frames does G-Sync support? I heard Freesync only supports certain framerates. Is this the case with G-Sync?

I see it all the time, but I really don't care. It's not an experience ruiner for me.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Frequent stuttering makes the game unplayable imo, which occurs when your framerate is lower than your monitor's refresh rate. Tearing occurs when the opposite is happening. How much you will get will vary from game to game, in some it can make the game unplayable imo. 

Stuttering also can cause eye strain, which I get when it stutters and it affects my eyes to the point it tears up.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I have a 120hz monitor and I run vsync to keep it at 120 ( or I set it to 90 in games like gta )

Otherwise I find tearing pretty unnoticeable at higher fps in games ( cs:go or other are fine )

Tearing is most present in sub 60hz situations .

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

i am someone who is really precise with limiting games to the FPS i want them to be:

- most games just run at 60 (vsync)

- sims 3 is locked at 30 because dem stutters at 60... (f you EA...)

- minecraft is set to 80 or 140 fps, because those numbers magically turn into 60... (dont ask, it works.)

- etc.

to sum it up, the last time i saw stuttering was a broken minecraft world, and the last time i saw tearing was when i was benching 678fps in hl2:lost coast.

i am someone who is really precise with limiting games to the FPS i want them to be:

- most games just run at 60 (vsync)

- sims 3 is locked at 30 because dem stutters at 60... (f you EA...)

- minecraft is set to 80 or 140 fps, because those numbers magically turn into 60... (dont ask, it works.)

- etc.

to sum it up, the last time i saw stuttering was a broken minecraft world, and the last time i saw tearing was when i was benching 678fps in hl2:lost coast.

I would never be able to deal with the input latency that comes with that? Do you not feel a difference at all?

I would never be able to deal with the input latency that comes with that? Do you not feel a difference at all?

i'm not claiming to be a twitch-speed gamer at any stretch of the imagination, but i never feel any input latency.

besides, running your game higher than your monitor's refresh rate isnt really doing any good for latency. (it doesnt do bad either tho.)

(I use a regular monitor at home, though I have used several G-sync at CES and a few at work. I'm waiting for a 500$ IPS 1440p 144hz G-Sync, because that's what I value the upgrade at.)

I notice it, I wouldn't consider it a serious problem. More of a nuisance that can simply be solved with money. Though I've noticed from working at a Lan Center/Computer repair store for the last 4+ years, 95% of people that come in never seem to notice any and if they due it is quickly shuffled out of their brain by their death or a grenade to remember it for long. The people spending the money to upgrade are also usually the people more vocal. It really just depends perceptive you are of the issues and how much they bother you as a person.

Stutter, caused by FPS dips is noticeable by most. Stutter caused by FPS exceeding the hz of the monitor is less noticeable by most.

This is one of those issues that I'd classify as only applicable to most if you are downgrading!!! Most people don't have issues what they use is the best they have used, heck mostly because they don't relies its something fixable or because their brains just expect a certain level of tearing and just relate too poor "computer magic".

Example, Just this weekend, my friend with a 40inch 1080p monitor couldn't see the pixel difference to my 24" 1080p. To me it was glaring, and I found his obviously worse. But from his perspective he couldn't see the details to look for. I'd say with 99% certainty if our position's were switched that he would think the same and so would I. (Who likes admitting an aspect of their 40" 400$ TV is worse then a 24" $120 Monitor also.)

I believe the same rule applies here. If you go from a 120/144hz monitor with or without G-sync a 60hz will show its pains. Increased motion blur, Frames that last longer so both stutters and tears are more obvious. But going the other way from 60 to 144hz, unless shown side by side, most people see more of the same thing, or only slight improvements. Until thrown back to slower/older tech. 

I'm pretty sure G-Sync runs from 30fps+ (Capped at Screen's 60,75,144 etc.hz still) as long as you stay above 30fps and everything supports G-Sync you should be good, or at least every G-Sync monitor I have read works like this.

From what I've read of Freesync on the other hand, it seems to depends on the monitor. Some seem to start at 30+, others seem to have a sweat spot example: from 45-90hz. It is strange and probably will become standard 30+ on most within a generation or two. Though I'd be sure to check with any Freesync monitors you are looking to buy.

I can honestly say in the 4+ years of dealing with customers, I've had less then 10 people complain about screen tearing. The only one I can specifically remember was a gamer who we sold a used cheapo monitor to while his nicer one was shipping.

Thank you for taking the time to write this. I apreciate it.