Good 4K gaming monitor that also scales well to 1440p

Hello all,

So I might be going for a 4K monitor in 3 or 4 months (I am still living in the 1080p era).

To go with it I will go for a double GPU setup but because of the issues that sometimes arise from running an SLI/XFIRE setup I want to have the option to scale back to 1440p so I run just one GPU and still have performance and quality.

I mainly game and I know 4K monitors are expensive and I am ready for that but I have got very little knowledge of the 4k gaming monitor market so can you give me some suggestions on monitors that are out, or coming out soon, that fit my criteria?

I will do my own research on them later!

Thank you all in advance!

4K can't scale well to 1440p, they will all scale the same.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

They all scale the same (not very well) but get the Acer Predator G-Sync 4k or a FreeSync equivalent. 

Hello all,

So I might be going for a 4K monitor in 3 or 4 months (I am still living in the 1080p era).

To go with it I will go for a double GPU setup but because of the issues that sometimes arise from running an SLI/XFIRE setup I want to have the option to scale back to 1440p so I run just one GPU and still have performance and quality.

I mainly game and I know 4K monitors are expensive and I am ready for that but I have got very little knowledge of the 4k gaming monitor market so can you give me some suggestions on monitors that are out, or coming out soon, that fit my criteria?

I will do my own research on them later!

Thank you all in advance!

If you are running a single 780ti or sli two of them you would be fine for pretty much any game at 4k. We will also see what AMD comes out with and go from there, but it should most likely be similar. 

In terms of monitors to recommend I would recommend that if you have the money get an ips or ips like pannel. 

Finally Computex is currently happening in Taipei Taiwan, so I expect that there will be many more monitors and potentially graphics cards release at this time, so come back and ask again when you are closer to actually buying this monitor and graphics card(s) to go with it.

:)xD9_9:D:PB|

4K can't scale well to 1440p, they will all scale the same.

They all scale the same (not very well) but get the Acer Predator G-Sync 4k or a FreeSync equivalent. 

Scaling actually depends on the monitor. Some will be sharper than others. Check #8 here.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

The Dell P2715Q seems to be the best at handling scaling right now. Other monitors such as the PB279Q or the 28" 4K TN monitors (including Acer G-SYNC model) don't handle it as well.

I really don't see a problem to have a 1080p monitor, or consider it is outdated.

Heyyo,

I really don't see a problem to have a 1080p monitor, or consider it is outdated.

1080P is still fine but lots of current games use deferred shading which in turn means that MSAA is not possible and can cause pixelation.

Another notable difference with 2560x1440 and 3840x2160 resolutions is the amount of detail. Textures do look a lot better in 4k as they are rendered closer to their native resolutions for games with high detail textures. It's quite impressive how even some older titles can look better by using a 4K monitor.

Of course, the downside to 4K is the performance sacrifice as it is a fairly new standard and current GPU hardware to run it with good detail settings while maintaining a playable framerate is still out of the average gamer's budget.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

Scaling actually depends on the monitor. Some will be sharper than others. Check #8 here.

The Dell P2715Q seems to be the best at handling scaling right now. Other monitors such as the PB279Q or the 28" 4K TN monitors (including Acer G-SYNC model) don't handle it as well.

will still look bad.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I don't think there's any problem or that it is outdated.

But I will have the money for such an upgrade soon and since i'll upgrade and i'll do a big investment I might as well buy a monitor that will last me at least for 4 years (like all my monitors did). I still have a 60hz 1080p monitor and it is pretty good but the future lies in higher resolutions and I think I will go straight at 4k. 

Thank you very much!

Will take a close look at it.

But I am leaning for 32"/34" at least.

Might be worse for the down scaling though...

Some interesting monitors have been announced at Computex, I will surely be looking at reviews once they come out!

Thanks everyone for the interesting and useful discussion, keep it up!!!

If you are running a single 780ti or sli two of them you would be fine for pretty much any game at 4k. We will also see what AMD comes out with and go from there, but it should most likely be similar. 

In terms of monitors to recommend I would recommend that if you have the money get an ips or ips like pannel. 

Finally Computex is currently happening in Taipei Taiwan, so I expect that there will be many more monitors and potentially graphics cards release at this time, so come back and ask again when you are closer to actually buying this monitor and graphics card(s) to go with it.

I am still waiting on the Amd releases to make up my mind on the GPU side and that decision might influence the display choice too, that's the reason I want to have several options.

But for now I am leaning towards 2 x 980ti.

Yes i will most certainly go with IPS.

I will pay attention to new releases but I want to start doing some research now so I understand the specs and technologies so that, when new releases come, I can make an evaluation and decision.

Thank you!