Yet another build plan any tweaks you would make?

H4RRYxj

Hey guys hope every one is doing well this is as the title says, another build plan. I'm due to come into some cash from a traffic incident about a year and a half ago, and my plan is with some of the cash to build a pc that will make up for the fact i have been exhausting my existing build to death for the last 5 years. So this will be my second time building a full system ( multiple upgrades have been carried out however on my old donkey of a pc) Before i rattle of the parts list. My experience with building  pcs, i would like to think is above newb but i acknowledge i don't know every thing (or i wouldn't be here asking for help =D ). I did want to stay clear of liquid cooling but im starting to think this may be needed at least on the cpu if i want to keep the system nice and cool.  

The amount at my disposal for this PC can increase if i see the need but i am trying to keep it around £2000. as i will need to invest in a new monitor (currently on a first gen 1080p monitor which is almost dead). so i  guess with out further adue here is the proposed build as it stands at the moment.

Parts List.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor     Intel Core i7 5820k  

CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  NZXT Kraken x61
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver Ceramique 2 Tri-Linear 25g Thermal Paste  
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard //Z97 (Need looking into)
Memory: Kingston FURY 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5 Solid State Drive  
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card   EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply   /OR/ EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Fan Controller  
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case

Total: £1845.62  £1738.18 (first figure did not include case)

Aims And Usage For the System
Mostly be used for gaming and  little bits of video creating. The system when built  will be attached to a 1440p monitor (yet to be decided on) until i can justify the need of a 4k monitor.

Future
as time progresses the move up to an sli config of two gtx980ti's will be the aim. And then i will hopefully make the jump to some 4k gaming in the future.

Worries - The reason im mainly here.

So i have never had the pleasure of installing any sort of liquid cooling devices before. How reliable are they? am i risking to much to fate if they fail. The CPU will be the only item being cooled this way.  Do i need to also purchase the liquids or do they come generally included with the radiators ect ? I only ask this as my research seems to just lead me to o my pc leaked im done kind of pages and it does worry me a little as this to me is a lot of money that i don't want to see thrown away. 

Questions
So will the Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler be a decent choice in liquid cooling in preformance and reliability? 
Is it easily installed onto the selected mobo ?
Any alterations to be made to accommodate the cooler?

Is it benifical to have 2 x 8gb ram sticks or 4x4gb is there any thing other than the amount of ram slots taken up ?? 

Many thanks to all who have imput into the build so far managed to save me a good small fortune.

I would recommend the NZXT Kraken x61. It has a much lower leakage rate than that of the H100i.

And are you sure you need the 5930k? Won't a 5820k be able to support SLI just fine?

The Rig: NZXT H440 M3 (Green and Black) (Ncase M1 coming soon!!) | Intel Core i5-4690k x BeQuiet PureRock Slim | EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC  | ASUS H81i Plus | 12GB EVGA SSC @ 1600MHz | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Sandisk Ultra II 480GB | Corsair SF 450| LG 29" Ultrawide | CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid TKL | Corsair M65 Black Sennheiser HD 558 (MOD) | Audio-Technica ATR 2500

out of the two cpus i thought whilst i had the cash why not go for the 5930k but if its over kill im always happy to save a few quid. Awesome i will look into the kraken now cheers for the response.

out of the two cpus i thought whilst i had the cash why not go for the 5930k but if its over kill im always happy to save a few quid. Awesome i will look into the kraken now cheers for the response.

No problem! It's just that about literally the only difference between the 5820k and 5930k is the amount of PCI-E lanes (only effecting 3-ish way SLI setups). They will perform the exact same.

The Rig: NZXT H440 M3 (Green and Black) (Ncase M1 coming soon!!) | Intel Core i5-4690k x BeQuiet PureRock Slim | EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC  | ASUS H81i Plus | 12GB EVGA SSC @ 1600MHz | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Sandisk Ultra II 480GB | Corsair SF 450| LG 29" Ultrawide | CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid TKL | Corsair M65 Black Sennheiser HD 558 (MOD) | Audio-Technica ATR 2500

No problem! It's just that about literally the only difference between the 5820k and 5930k is the amount of PCI-E lanes (only effecting 3-ish way SLI setups). They will perform the exact same.

thank you very much for that advice my intentions will be maximum stretch to two way sli so i will amend that in the build. Looking into it i see what you mean very similar and you may of just saved me £100 =D. that could be used to distracting the misses to a day out as the parts arrive lol.

The system usage described in the OP doesn't really suggest that an X99 build would be optimal. Nor can I see a reason for 32GB of memory.

Consider a Z97 build using an i7-4790K cpu.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($325.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($64.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus GRYPHON Z97 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($159.99 @ Mwave)
Memory: PNY XLR8 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($97.06 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5"; Solid State Drive  ($357.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($503.80 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($93.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1693.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-01 22:28 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

The system usage described in the OP doesn't really suggest that an X99 build would be optimal. Nor can I see a reason for 32GB of memory.

Consider a Z97 build using an i7-4790K cpu.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($325.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($64.75 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Asus GRYPHON Z97 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($159.99 @ Mwave)

Memory: PNY XLR8 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($97.06 @ Amazon)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5"; Solid State Drive  ($357.99 @ Best Buy)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($503.80 @ Newegg)

Case: Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($93.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $1693.56

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-01 22:28 EDT-0400

Ram response

The main reason for the large ram amount is just due to me wanting to feel comfortable knowing i wont need to upgrade or buy any more ram a few months down the line. I dont want to say future proof as you never know whats round the corner. But my last "gaming pc LOL" only had 6gb of ram now i got by on that but this pc for me is not about just getting by. that is my mentality. I don't want to sound spoilt or like a child but for the first time money is not an issue for this build to much and not the other day i was considering the titan x just for the hell off it.

Mobo changes

The mobo you have chosen the micro Atx gryphon 797 although a decent board its a micro atx due to the size will it not have issues over heat from when it becomes over crowded with 2 gtx 980ti im no expert but surly a bigger surface area of the Eatx or just standard atx's are they not going to give me a cooler surface or at least the space to act if heat does become an issue down the line. I did however after some research drop the the rampage v mobo when i realized that was over kill to a massive extent

PSU

The suggested 650w althougth a fair suggestion for now as i will only for the next few month be running a single card will quickly become obsolete and need to be replace and that just seems pointless waste of money i might as well have the system ready for sli upon build day so i am not chucking money at it for the sake of it. 

Cpu

i am on the bench about changing this to a i7-4790k due to your suggestion but i do like the idea of having 6 cores over the 4 cores the 4790k offers. please correct me if im wrong in thinking that as time goes on games will be able to use all 6 cores and surely that would then make me kick my self for not buying the 6 cores (i7-5820k) in the futre . But the over clocking that is achieved by the 4790 is amazing. i will have to look into it.

Graphics card 

i see the change from the 980 ti to a 980 i will be sticking to the 980 ti this is out of personal preference i was originally going to take a titan x but realized sli 980ti will give me hopefully a nice steady 4k gaming experience when the time comes and will obviously out preform the 980 

Thank you for posting a lot to think about from this though i will look at a 2133 clock speed ram over the opposed 2666 to save some cash there.  And research more into the 4790k line of cpus to see if it is going to be right for me. 

980ti sli

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor (£269.94 @ Aria PC)

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 113.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£46.98 @ Novatech)

Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard (£159.99 @ Amazon UK)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£113.83 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£127.99 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£38.34 @ Aria PC)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) (£548.99 @ Amazon UK)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) (£548.99 @ Amazon UK)

Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£52.98 @ Scan.co.uk)

Power Supply: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£118.92 @ Scan.co.uk)

Total: £2026.95

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-02 16:30 BST+0100

980ti sli

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor (£269.94 @ Aria PC)

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 113.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£46.98 @ Novatech)

Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard (£159.99 @ Amazon UK)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£113.83 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£127.99 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£38.34 @ Aria PC)

Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£52.98 @ Scan.co.uk)

Power Supply: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£118.92 @ Scan.co.uk)

Total: £2026.95

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-02 16:30 BST+0100

cheers for posting raised a few changes i might implement into the build being the following.

Mobo

the motherboard you suggested does seem like a nice choice and seems to have a good read up on it plus saves me £10 there abouts which is allways nice to see =D another note is the all black colour scheme is definatly a winner in looks in my opinion at least. so i will look into getting hold of one of these.

Cpu cooler

This is one i have looked at but with my newbieness in CLC coolers im am hesistant to cheap out on the cooler just becuase of the thinking that lower cost they have saved on part quality some where and i feel it would be tempting fate. How ever i will look into this part as if it is  on par with sound build qulaity might save some more cash i could put into a new mouse or keyboard.

Case

I have seen this case on parts picker and i am tempted by it the only thing that makes me hesitate is the fact its listed as a mid tower now will this cause me any issues when it comes to fitting a radiator of lets say the Kraken x61 that is 280mm (size from part pickers)  in it and the fact it is a smaller case will it cause any major temp differences to a full size tower of similar design ? 

PSU

This is an interesting one i am leaning towards your suggestion how ever could any one clarify the following is the output stats attached to the two decives on part picker now with these is there any thing i need to know about when choosing one over the other? 

I have noticed the 1000w supply does have an extra few PCIe 6+2 connection ports which i guess its better to have spare than to need some so with all being well with the out put i will definitely change this in the design.

@H4RRYxj,

I do think 32GB of memory is beyond overkill for a mostly gaming system. But if that is what makes you comfortable, go for it.

Regardless of the chipset solution, I would suggest using motherboard fan headers and software to control the fans instead of a fan controller. (The build suggestion below includes a case with a PWM fan hub that enables a single PWM (4-pin) fan header to control up to 12 fans.)

If you intend to have an aggressive overclock then an AIO cooler like the Kraken X61 suggested by @CharlieR1 is a very good choice. These are sealed units so all that has to be done is attach the included fans and then mount the assembly. Typically the cpu block has a pre-applied thermal paste patch. Mounting is no more difficult than mounting an air cooler with the added step of attaching the radiator & fan assembly to the case.

AIO are quite reliable these days. But they do have limited life spans. Generally the length of the warranty, (3 - 5 years), although they have not been around long enough to gauge just how durable various models will be.

I have been reviewing reviews of the GTX 980 Ti, now that it has been released. An excellent choice of gpu I think. I would suggest going with a cooling solution like the EVGA ACX 2.0. Should provide better cooling and quieter operation.

It is my opinion that buying hardware today based on where one thinks software might be in three or four years is not a good idea. In general games tend to be fairly conservative in their cpu usage, usually performing better with faster computes rather than more execution threads. An i7 has 8 execution threads which I expect will be more than enough for several years to come. GPU resources make a far bigger impact in gaming performance.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£249.98 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£100.51 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Asus Z97 PRO GAMER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£106.73 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£176.64 @ More Computers)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5"; Solid State Drive  (£245.94 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card  (£599.94 @ Aria PC)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case  (£104.87 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£99.98 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1684.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-02 16:58 BST+0100

I have noticed the 1000w supply does have an extra few PCIe 6+2 connection ports which i guess its better to have spare than to need some so with all being well with the out put i will definitely change this in the design.

Do you really plan to get 3 gpu? I suspect by the time you might contemplate a third gpu, tech will have moved well beyond current levels and you will find it more cost effective to replace the gpus with something entirely new and much more powerful.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

cheers for posting raised a few changes i might implement into the build being the following.

Mobo

the motherboard you suggested does seem like a nice choice and seems to have a good read up on it plus saves me £10 there abouts which is allways nice to see =D another note is the all black colour scheme is definatly a winner in looks in my opinion at least. so i will look into getting hold of one of these.

Cpu cooler

This is one i have looked at but with my newbieness in CLC coolers im am hesistant to cheap out on the cooler just becuase of the thinking that lower cost they have saved on part quality some where and i feel it would be tempting fate. How ever i will look into this part as if it is on par with sound build qulaity might save some more cash i could put into a new mouse or keyboard.

Case

I have seen this case on parts picker and i am tempted by it the only thing that makes me hesitate is the fact its listed as a mid tower now will this cause me any issues when it comes to fitting a radiator of lets say the Kraken x61 that is 280mm (size from part pickers) in it and the fact it is a smaller case will it cause any major temp differences to a full size tower of similar design ?

PSU

This is an interesting one i am leaning towards your suggestion how ever could any one clarify the following is the output stats attached to the two decives on part picker now with these is there any thing i need to know about when choosing one over the other?

I have noticed the 1000w supply does have an extra few PCIe 6+2 connection ports which i guess its better to have spare than to need some so with all being well with the out put i will definitely change this in the design.

The cpu cooler is of high quality and a recommended product (check out reviews)

The psu is good too

About the case? - best looking and best quality for not going too much above the budget

You can surely get a bigger better one but only if you want too

The case can be improved upon - agreed

@brob

thank you for responding. 

I have noticed i may be a tad stubborn on the idea of the 32gb of ram and will probably settle for the 16gb. (heck if i have managed to get by with 6gbs gaming on im sure i can get by on 16gb. (Newb alert is the 32gb of ram ever going to actually help me in gaming over the 16gb?)

I will definitely take an hour or two tomorrow to look more deeply into whether its me wanting the x99 over the need for it (5.30 hour bus journey tomorrow to enjoy and will give me something to do =D ) Now will the fact i am only ever going to be able to have a 2 way sli affect the choice of my motherboard dramatically ?  

Thank you very much for the case selection this is one big headache im having worrying if it will all fit and if the fans will work on this i will definitely have a look at the case if it follows some of phantexs other styling i have seen over the past week im sure i will love the look of it and snap it up  just looked at it and i have to say it looks perfect not to over the top but enough style to catch the eye love it. =D.

I watched a few install and reviews of the Kraken today and did notice they come with pre-applied paste. ( my question is how long is the life span of standard paste will i have to clean it of periodically or is it mostly once its on im done? )

with the fan controller i was starting to wonder if that was needed after seeing the software available that can do the job just as good and wont need powering or cost me £20 so i will remove that i think as i could do with out ( i think i liked just the idea of it more than the practicality of it if that makes sense)

with the graphics card i would definatly consider the acx model the only reson that one is there was at the time of the configuring the list that was the only one to pop up so i will have a relook at the branding cooler soulotions you have suggested.

But again Brob thank you very much for your advice and will rectify a few parts of the build. and look into the motherboard and cpu tomorrow on the coach... (oh why did i put my motorbike into the shop for work on it... its a 3.20 hour drive if i drove down.... gotta love public transport lol) 

Take into account that the 1000W G2 model does not have the hybrid fan mode with the eco mode switch.

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W