Build a mechanical keyboard

TheGeeker

Good summer project? I want a keyboard with reds for wasd, blue for letter keys, brown num pad and brown top numbers with blue f keys. How hard would this be? I am failry good with a solder and could figure it out. Any one know how much and where to get all the things? 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

i dont think you can do that

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

Even if you would be able to mix keys, it would piss you off very fast, imagine you wanna type WASD, which is used kinda often, and those keys feel different

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

i dont think you can do that

Of course you can!

I think it would be interesting, but it would kind of suck for typing.

Cherry should make like an MX Rainbow switch, that's adjustable. Have the feel of an MX Green or the feel of an MX Red whenever you want.

The switches can be bought from WASD Keybords for $1.50 a piece and the PCB/case from ErgoDox or something.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Of course you can!

I think it would be interesting, but it would kind of suck for typing.

Cherry should make like an MX Rainbow switch, that's adjustable. Have the weight of an MX Green, or the feel of an MX Red whenever you want.

ah, i thought he ment that he was going to build a new mechanical keyboard from the ground up

probably because of the title

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

Even if you would be able to mix keys, it would piss you off very fast, imagine you wanna type WASD, which is used kinda often, and those keys feel different

Il do all letter keys blue, num pad brown rest red. space bar brown as well

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

ah, i thought he ment that he was going to build a new mechanical keyboard from the ground up

probably because of the title

It would take some time, but you could do that too. Nothing is impossibru :D

The switches can be bought from WASD Keybords for $1.50 a piece and the PCB/case from ErgoDox or something.

Can I use this as a base? http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/mechanical-keyboard/wasd-v2-104-key-barebones-mechanical-keyboard.html

Good summer project? I want a keyboard with reds for wasd, blue for letter keys, brown num pad and brown top numbers with blue f keys. How hard would this be? I am failry good with a solder and could figure it out. Any one know how much and where to get all the things? 

yes you can do it, DIY mechanical keyboards aren't unusual, but I wouldn't mix up the switches within the main block, as it would make typing completely unnatural feeling.

you would have to purchase a case and PCB for a custom keyboard, then buy all of your switches seperately, assemble it and solder.

it would be cheaper just to get a red keyswitch keyboard for gaming and a blue keyswitch keyboard for typing. it would be quite expensive to build your own keyboard from a kit.

honestly I much prefer just a blue keyswitch keyboard. the only time I prefer red is in a game where you hold down keys like in a FPS or MMO, and that's only a little bit. for games like LoL, which is most of what I play, blue is much nicer.