Do I need EK backplate or can I use whats on my GPU.

I am planning on water cooling soon and I was wondering if I could use the backplate that came with my ASUS GTX 980 Strix with an EK water block?

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

I think there is the possibility of issues, but hit up EKWB on twitter on their website they should know it

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

I dont think you can use a backplate with the water block. Isnt the water block also the back plate around the entire pcb? 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

I wouldn't, EK blocks come with screws made so that it is impossible to over tighten (I.E. you will strip the threads before over tightening) If you introduce the original backplate it will change the distance the screws travel while tightening and will make it possible to over tighten and possibly break the GPU die. 

The backplate sold by EK comes with new screws that are longer to take the new backplate into account.

I think there is the possibility of issues, but hit up EKWB on twitter on their website they should know it

I think ill do just that, Thank you.

I dont think you can use a backplate with the water block. Isnt the water block also the back plate around the entire pcb? 

Nope. There are back plates sold by EK for specific cards so the water block only sits on the crucial components on the top of the card.

I wouldn't, EK blocks come with screws made so that it is impossible to over tighten (I.E. you will strip the threads before over tightening) If you introduce the original backplate it will change the distance the screws travel while tightening and will make it possible to over tighten and possibly break the GPU die. 

The backplate sold by EK comes with new screws that are longer to take the new backplate into account.

Good to know. That's really disappointing if I have to buy a backplate because the brushed aluminium backplate on the strix is stunning.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

I think ill do just that, Thank you.

Nope. There are back plates sold by EK for specific cards so the water block only sits on the crucial components on the top of the card.

Good to know. That's really disappointing if I have to buy a backplate because the brushed aluminium backplate on the strix is stunning.

Did not know. Thanks

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

Your current backplate won't fit the block, at least that's what they say for the block's I've looked at. The Backplates aren't necessary but certainly make the card look better and it does give some rigidity to a very heavy top of the card. I went with their full cover Acetal+Nickel block and black backplate. Look's great and performs even better. Never goes above 46 degrees even with a massive overclock.

Custom Loop

4790K - Titan X - 16GB Vengeance 1866 - Asus Vii Hero - EVGA G2 850w - Samsung Evo 500gb - Corsair 760T - ROG SWIFT

With this style of backplate (with the threaded standoffs), I don't think you can re-use your backplate.

Backplates like EVGA can be modded to be re-use since they don't have threaded standoffs.