Making Windows 7 USB from DVD ISO

warmmilk
Go to solution Solved by R4STABAN,

I have a Windows 7 DVD (retail) that I made an ISO of using Burnaware.  I downloaded the "Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool" to make a boot USB drive, but when I select the ISO it says its not a valid ISO file (screenshot below).  any ideas on where to go from here?  My next build isn't going to have a CD drive and I don't have any spares laying around...

post-7022-0-39593900-1374341099.jpg

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Use universal usb installer it's better than any other program.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

That didn't work either...  It says it finished, but all it really did was format the usb drive and and put a couple meaningless files on there total of 101kb.  as far as I can tell my system is still reading it like a regular usb drive.  I tried booting from it just for fun but that didn't work...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

I tried imgburn before also and got the same result.  I found the thread below asking where to download the win7 file, downloaded one of those and it worked.

thanks for all the help.  I think I've done it before the way NRG posted, but I couldn't find the link for some reason this time when I googled it, I'm pretty use that would have worked for me

I tried imgburn before also and got the same result.  I found the thread below asking where to download the win7 file, downloaded one of those and it worked.

thanks for all the help.  I think I've done it before the way NRG posted, but I couldn't find the link for some reason this time when I googled it, I'm pretty use that would have worked for me

Strange, I used imgBurn all the time, with different version of Windows and always worked using Microsoft tool.

Ive had this problem alot. Some times it worked other times it didnt.

Finally i just did some searching and found grub4dos and made an external drive specifically for installing windows and other things like ram testing. With grub4dos you can just boot directly from the iso. You just put the iso on the drive and edit a file so grub can load it and it will work as if you got the dvd in the drive or just a usb drive with the files from the iso on it. Works great and never fails. I even installed windows xp from it on an ancient athlon xp 2000+. No problems at all.

Theres a ton of guides out there on how to make windows 7 work with it.

Being able to install windows 2000 is something a want to be able to do with it. Cant figure that out.. But i doubt anyone here would want to do that :p

I have no signature

That didn't work either...  It says it finished, but all it really did was format the usb drive and and put a couple meaningless files on there total of 101kb.  as far as I can tell my system is still reading it like a regular usb drive.  I tried booting from it just for fun but that didn't work...

Make sure you have usb booting enable in the bios, it might be label something like boot for other device. The windows usb won't show up as a dvd and open auto play in windows btw only linux does from my knowledge. 

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!