Dualshock 4 on PC

theereal

Can you use the PS4's Dualshock 4 controller on PC? (Windows 8.1)? please share any links :)

TLDR: Yes.

If you just want to use it as a controller, plug it in with a usb cable if you don't mind wired, or enable bluetooth pairing for a wireless experience. It'll be detected as a generic windows controller by the OS.

If you want some extra features, like using the touchpad as a mouse you'll have to get custom (fan-made) drivers.

Drivers

Inputmapper. As far as I understand a community-made continuation of DS4Windows. From all the reviews I'm reading, seems to be the better, latest and most robust driver.

Personally the one I discovered first, but seemingly a bit outdated(?) and made by a single person.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Yup, I use InputMapper

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Yes. Just plug it in if you want wired, or enable bluetooth pairing for wireless. It'll be detected as a generic windows controller. If you want to use the touchpad as a mouse you'll have to get custom (fan-made) drivers.

Nothing gets detected when i plug it in.

Yup, I use InputMapper

Once this is installed i can just open up a game that is compatible with the controller and start playing or?

Once this is installed i can just open up a game that is compatible with the controller and start playing or?

Because you don't have it this (above) happens.

Install it, let it detect and install the controller and you are good to go

Ok, thanks :)

Weird, my pc just detected it naturally, as a generic controller. Anyway, I updated my post with links and extra information.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

By default its supported by windows as a directinput device, so it does work but you will likely run into some issues as not all games offer controller support outside of xinput. A couple of ways to get around that is to use x360ce or one of the variations of ds4tool or ds4windows.

Can i use a PS4 controller on GTA San Andreas? (downloaded from Steam)

Don't know if it supports it and I don't have it, try it out.

you know if the controller is working properly if its led is shining (you can turn it off btw)

you know if the controller is working properly if its led is shining (you can turn it off btw)

Huh, it still isnt being detected, like if you plug in something new it will pop up a little message in the lower right corner, that doesent happen O.o

You should be, and if it (very unlikely) doesn't support controller input, map the DS4 buttons to simulate key presses using inputmapper and off you go.

Huh, it still isnt being detected, like if you plug in something new it will pop up a little message in the lower right corner, that doesent happen O.o

Weird. What hardware are you using? Are you sure the cable is properly inserted (on both ends)? Try another USB port?

Can i use a standard PS4 controller?

Weird. What hardware are you using? Are you sure the cable is properly inserted (on both ends)? Try another USB port?

What do you mean? There are no other versions

Yes. I'm using the one that came with my console.

Yes. I'm using the one that came with my console.

What do you mean? There are no other versions

Well, its not getting detected, not even with different usb ports.

Well, its not getting detected, not even with different usb ports.

Welp, I really don't have any more ideas except that it's maybe DOA? Does it work with your console? Try it with another PC? Try pairing it with bluetooth (press share+PS button until the light start flickering, then pair from the windows settings menu)?

Welp, I really don't have any more ideas except that it's maybe DOA? Does it work with your console? Try it with another PC? Try pairing it with bluetooth (long press option+PS button until the light start flickering, then pair from the windows settings menu)?

Hmmm, i think ill just keep searching the web, gotta be a solution out there somewhere, anyways, thanks for all the help, much appriciated :))

Keep us updated when/if you find one. Good luck.

Just to satisfy my personal curiosity, can you try pairing it with bluetooth? (Also, does it actually work with the console? Does the lightbar even light up when you press PS Home button?)

PS: TRY ANOTHER USB CABLE. It's one of the most obvious problems - could it be that it's broken?

I may have to try inputmapper.

I'm still using DS4 tool as I found it to use less resources than DS4Windows and still works with every game I've played.

Is your PS4 opened ? If it is used on the PS4, it won't be detected by the PC.