Looking for guitar info

FruitBasketSilex

I am wondering if anyone here knows much about guitars, i'm looking for passive pickups that produce a nice heavy sound. I need three in total, H/S/S.

(A guide on how to install them would be nice too....)

trying to make my old guitar sound less terrible.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

I am wondering if anyone here knows much about guitars, i'm looking for passive pickups that produce a nice heavy sound. I need three in total, H/S/S.

What type of guitar do you have ?

It is realy important that your guitar it self sounds good.

An pickup just shape the sound a little. So if you have a realy crapy sounding guitar a good pickup wont make it sound good.

I have got a lot of guitars and gear an also tested what you want. I jamed an realy good pickup in an awfull guitar to hear what i would sound like. But i happend as i said. The sound was a little bit thicker but still realy crappy

What type of guitar do you have ?

It is realy important that your guitar it self sounds good.

An pickup just shape the sound a little. So if you have a realy crapy sounding guitar a good pickup wont make it sound good.

I have got a lot of guitars and gear an also tested what you want. I jamed an realy good pickup in an awfull guitar to hear what i would sound like. But i happend as i said. The sound was a little bit thicker but still realy crappy

It's some silvertone one, I just really don't want to shell out alot of money for a great guitar, just looking for a 100$ or so upgrade for it.

It's currently at my sisters getting a paintjob.

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Google and YouTube are your friends. Tonnes of tutorials out there and reviews and sound demos and all that. Also, I disagree with the guy above me. Compared to acoustic guitars, the woods and construction of an electric have way less of an impact on your tones compared to amps and pickups. If you like the way your old guitar plays, then it's fine sticking nice pickups in there. Wilkinson make some prettty damn good stuff for not many pennies

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

Google and YouTube are your friends. Tonnes of tutorials out there and reviews and sound demos and all that. Also, I disagree with the guy above me. Compared to acoustic guitars, the woods and construction of an electric have way less of an impact on your tones compared to amps and pickups. If you like the way your old guitar plays, then it's fine sticking nice pickups in there. Wilkinson make some prettty damn good stuff for not many pennies

That's what I thought, I have some experience with guitars, can you reccomend any specific pickups? To get an idea of the sound I like, I really like EMG 81s and 85(?)s, but they're active.

Spoiler

Do you know if bareknuckle juggernauts are passive or not?

Spoiler

That's what I thought, I have some experience with guitars, can you reccomend any specific pickups? To get an idea of the sound I like, I really like EMG 81s and 85(?)s, but they're active.

What kind of playing/tones are you after? I've only really done research looking for pickups to play prog metal, so I'm not the best to ask which is why I said google is your friend

Do you know if bareknuckle juggernauts are passive or not?

They are passive and a single juggernaut humbucker is way out of your price range

What kind of playing/tones are you after? I've only really done research looking for pickups to play prog metal, so I'm not the best to ask which is why I said google is your friend

I don't even know what program metal is. xD

Spoiler

They are passive and a single juggernaut humbucker is way out of your price range

How much are they? (USD)

Spoiler

I don't even know what program metal is. xD

Progressive metal. 'djent' fall under that umbrella. Bands like periphery, intervals, thankyou scientist, red seas fire. The bareknuckle juggernaut is Misha Mansoor of Periphery's signature pickup

Look at Seymour Duncan SH-6, or SH-4. I have a SH-4JB in the neck and a Gibson PAF replica in the bridge of my Les Paul. (9+ Years musical experience) 

How much are they? (USD)

They're 114 pounds in the UK and they're made in the UK too. So convert to US dollars and add on some more for shipping and import tax and all that rubbish

Look at Seymour Duncan SH-6, or SH-4. I have a SH-4JB in the neck and a Gibson PAF replica in the bridge of my Les Paul. (9+ Years musical experience)

How do they sound? I'll have to look up sound demos in a bit.

Spoiler

They're 114 pounds in the UK and they're made in the UK too. So convert to US dollars and add on some more for shipping and import tax and all that rubbish

Found some for 174$ using google shopping, doesn't seem to bad, other places should have them cheaper, knowing google shopping.

Spoiler

How do they sound? I'll have to look up sound demos in a bit.

The SH-6 is very heavy and very high output. The SH-4 is less heavy, less output but still by no means low output. And as for the PAF it is about as low output as you can get from a Humbucker. I typically play Single Coils (I am a blues, Alt, Classic Rock Player), My main guitar is either my 1962 Silvertone (Sears and Roebuck) with P90s (Phat Cats) or my 2012 Custom Shop Telecaster with custom fender single coils. 

The SH-6 is very heavy and very high output. The SH-4 is less heavy, less output but still by no means low output. And as for the PAF it is about as low output as you can get from a Humbucker. I typically play Single Coils (I am a blues, Alt, Classic Rock Player), My main guitar is either my 1962 Silvertone (Sears and Roebuck) with P90s (Phat Cats) or my 2012 Custom Shop Telecaster with custom fender single coils. 

I just had the idea of mixing some heavier sounding humbucker with two good single coils that have more of a Jack White sound to them, think that would mix well/reccomendations?

Spoiler

I just had the idea of mixing some heavier sounding humbucker with two good single coils that have more of a Jack White sound to them, think that would mix well/reccomendations?

Depending on your guitars mounting it may be hard to put a single coil in it.  And three pickups personally messes me up, cause you have a pickup lingering where you pick. If you want the Jack White sound for the White Stripes you want some P90s, His signature Airline 2P had single coils (That looked like humbuckers) and so did his Kay. If you want the Racounterus sound, his Gretsch has filtertron pickups and for a more modern sound, you want some TV Jones Pickups (Like what he has in his blue tele)

Do you have a picture of the guitar?

Do you have a picture of the guitar?

Probably somewhere, it is H/S/S (bridge/mid/neck)

Give me some time, I've got a job interview then I can get you a picture.

Spoiler

Personally, I'd recommend getting a better guitar. Essencially what you are wanting to do is put a corvette engine in a 1992 ford taurus body. Get a schecter, even their low cost models are made really well and sound great for the price

Intel Core i7-4790K // Corsair H100i // MSI Z97A-GAMING 6 // 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133Mhz (Red) // OCZ ARC 100 120GB SSD // 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD // 2x Asus GTX 970 STRIX(2-Way SLI) // Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) // Corsair RM 1000W // Asus DVD/CD Writer // Windows 8.1

Personally, I'd recommend getting a better guitar. Essencially what you are wanting to do is put a corvette engine in a 1992 ford taurus body. Get a schecter, even their low cost models are made really well and sound great for the price

I like the Ford Taurus.

And (I know little about cars) wouldn't that make the Taurus fast then?

Spoiler

It ain't for racing ;-)

Intel Core i7-4790K // Corsair H100i // MSI Z97A-GAMING 6 // 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133Mhz (Red) // OCZ ARC 100 120GB SSD // 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD // 2x Asus GTX 970 STRIX(2-Way SLI) // Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) // Corsair RM 1000W // Asus DVD/CD Writer // Windows 8.1

Probably somewhere, it is H/S/S (bridge/mid/neck)

Give me some time, I've got a job interview then I can get you a picture.

Ok, if it is a H-S-S that would be perfect. I'll cal up my cousin (Nashville Musician, he is on his third album) he is a amazing guitarist and see what he thinks also!

Ok, if it is a H-S-S that would be perfect. I'll cal up my cousin (Nashville Musician, he is on his third album) he is a amazing guitarist and see what he thinks also!

Sweet, would love professional help! (Heh)

I want to make this guitar into a more kickass one before I get more into guitars. Thanks for your hell so far, man, really appreciate it.

Spoiler