Google Nexus 4 - Contacts do not remian stored

Go to solution Solved by CouchSloth,

Do you have stock android if so which version?

Yeah its stock 4.2.2 and beside adding a couple of Apps from the Google play store nothing has really been changed.

I decided to try something. I went back in to settings and restored the phone to the factory setup, given I have only had it since Friday. I then signed back in to my Google account during the start up and voila! all my contacts from my Google account (originally exported from my phone) synced back to my phone and for over a few hours now haven't disappeared. Even if I manually force  a sync. If this indeed does resolve my issue then it would appear for some reason that during the original sync with my Google account, where the contacts were on my phone and not in my Google account, went awry and instead of adding extra contacts they were removed. Strange, but fingers crossed this has fixed it.

One interesting comment over at the Android forums stated that one person with a similar issue actually ended up returning her phone for a replacement and after which she did not have the same problem. Maybe it was the fact the new phone was at factory default settings that it worked, similar to my resolution.

Thanks for all those who read this thread and made suggestions. I'll probably post back in a week if this resolution sticks.

Hi All,

Yesterday I took delivery of my new Nexus 4 mobile phone. I am re-using a current SIM from my old phone. The problem I have is whenever I add new contacts either manually entering then directly into contacts on the phone or importing them from my SIM card, shortly after they are added they disappear. Now I have manually entered two contacts and they have remianed on the phone but several attempts at either entering the contacts manually or importing from the SIM card continues to see them disappear. Sometimes I notice they disappear within a few seconds or last night I imported all my SIM contacts and changed a couple of names and whilst they seemed to remain in the phone memory, this morning they have disappeared again. All except the very first two I entered.

Does anyone with this phone experienced this same problem and know the reason why? I had created a Google account that I used when I first set up the phone. Could this have anything to do with my problem? Although I had already setup the account before I entered the first two contact they have worked.

Any help much appreciated. I am a first time Android user.

I'm not to sure on this as I haven't experienced any similar problems.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

With my Nexus i just save all my contacts to my google account then i have no problems if i change ROM or do anything like that.

My Build  CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955@4.1@Ghz Mobo: Asus M5A99x Evo R2.0 GPU: Asus 7870T @1.25GHz Core 5.5GHz Mem Ram: Kingston HyperX@ 1600 9-9-9-24 CPU Cooler: H80 Push/Pull Noctua NF-P12  SSD: Samsung 128GB 840 PRO HDD: Mix of drives which add up to 5.6TB SoundCard: Asus xonar DGX PSU: Corsair HX650 + alchemy cables Case: R3 with the rest of the fans being fractel fans.

Im A Snake.....

What seems pointless?...or are your just critiquing your own comment?

oh, sorry. When I looked at the thread there was nothing there, causing me to believe it was pointless.

Maybe the cloud syncing is overriding your contacts?

oh, sorry. When I looked at the thread there was nothing there, causing me to believe it was pointless.

Ok then I apologize too. I did press the TAB key whilst entering text to get a paragraph indent and then managed to save the post when all it said was HI.So no harm done.

Maybe the cloud syncing is overriding your contacts?

I have read on Android forums that this is a wide spread problem with various possible causes.Today I did a test. I turned off my mobile data connection. I imported the SIM contacts and they remained in the phone for a few hours. I then re-enabled data and then forced Google to sync. As I was seeing the spinning wheel notification to say sync was in progress I quickly switch to my contacts list. I could see the contacts disappearing one at a time. lol

So yes it is a SYNC problem with Google.

Now, I have confirmed that my Google contacts list is correct and up to date and matches exactly with what I import from my SIM card into my phone, so I don't know what it is about Google account Sync that is removing all the contacts.

Its easy to quickly import all the contacts from my SIm, but there are several contacts I want to changed and can't as they keep disapearing from my phone. I have wondered if there was an option to import contacts from my Google account to see if that fixes the problem, but I guess that is what Sync is for.

It's still strange as to why the first two contacts I manually entered in the phone don't disappear.

All my contacts are on my Google Account, try syncing them with that, its extremely useful 

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

All my contacts are on my Google Account, try syncing them with that, its extremely useful 

Yeah doesn't seem to be any different. When my contacts started to disappear one thing I did was export my contacts to a VCF file from the phone and then imported that list into my Google contacts. My contact list does not change in Google, but still disappear in my phone. In the Android forums a lot is said about what contact list they are listed in. I have mine under 'My Contacts'.

As the only two contacts that are persistant in the phone were manually entered I am seriously thinking of just entering them all manually. Seems to circumvent what Sync is supposed to be able to do correctly.

Yeah doesn't seem to be any different. When my contacts started to disappear one thing I did was export my contacts to a VCF file from the phone and then imported that list into my Google contacts. My contact list does not change in Google, but still disappear in my phone. In the Android forums a lot is said about what contact list they are listed in. I have mine under 'My Contacts'.

As the only two contacts that are persistant in the phone were manually entered I am seriously thinking of just entering them all manually. Seems to circumvent what Sync is supposed to be able to do correctly.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

Yeah its stock 4.2.2 and beside adding a couple of Apps from the Google play store nothing has really been changed.

I decided to try something. I went back in to settings and restored the phone to the factory setup, given I have only had it since Friday. I then signed back in to my Google account during the start up and voila! all my contacts from my Google account (originally exported from my phone) synced back to my phone and for over a few hours now haven't disappeared. Even if I manually force  a sync. If this indeed does resolve my issue then it would appear for some reason that during the original sync with my Google account, where the contacts were on my phone and not in my Google account, went awry and instead of adding extra contacts they were removed. Strange, but fingers crossed this has fixed it.

One interesting comment over at the Android forums stated that one person with a similar issue actually ended up returning her phone for a replacement and after which she did not have the same problem. Maybe it was the fact the new phone was at factory default settings that it worked, similar to my resolution.

Thanks for all those who read this thread and made suggestions. I'll probably post back in a week if this resolution sticks.

Well that was definitely the solution. My contacts have not disappeared again.