HOW TO CHEAPLY AND EASILY UPGRADE AN OLDER DESKTOP

Kaiju_Jaeger

I am here asking for some help on how to easily and cheaply improve a really old desktop that i have so i can actually be used any help is appreciated.

i would say no more than like $500 to $600 maybe 7 at the most

and as far as spec on the pc as of right now it is like a 2005 Dell Dimension 2520 desktop pc everything stock

and as far as spec on the pc as of right now it is like a 2005 Dell Dimension 2520 desktop pc everything stock

Honestly mate, It would be better to get a new pc instead of upgrading that old thing. Unless you just want to install linux. (which i don't really consider an upgrade). Most likely, nothing in there is salvagable

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Coolermaster hyper 212 evo push+pull

Powercolor 7950 pcs+ @1100 mhz core 1400mhz mem

Coolermaster haf 912 advanced 120mm rear, 200mm top 200mm front

Corsair vengeance 2x4gb 1600 MHZ

Windows 8 64bit

Silverstone essentials 500w ST50F-ES

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

well here is the situation i have my own pc i use for myself the purpose for the other pc was to have that the rest of my family like my parents could use

If you're spending 600-700 dollars just make a brand new desktop with Linux

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8

since you are spending 600$ u could just get a new pc which would be way better 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1iH4v

500 $ with windows. Ill do a linux one if you want

If I were you I would take Genecidallic's build and spend the $200 that he was under to upgrade it even better. If you want to stay on the low end of your budget than go with the build above, if you want more performance I would sugest some upgrades with the build above. 

Intel 3570K - MSI GTX 660Ti 3GB OC Edition - 16GB Corsair LP RAM - ASRock Extreme4 Motherboard - Corsair HX850 - Adata Premier Pro SP900 120GB SSD with Windows 7 - Seagate Barracuda 1TD HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler - CM Storm Enforcer Case - Macbook Pro Early 2011 Laptop

Thanks Genecidalic  and i am a windows person so this system would be great thanks again

I've also compiled a system on pcpartpicker, http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1iHRI

Its more expensive then Genecidalic's build but is a lot beefier

I noticed that some of the promos are expiring soon so if you dont get around to buying it in 2 days you could remove the hyper 212 from the build

CPU: i5 2500K @ 4.2GHZ, GPU: AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2X4GB) 1600MHZ, Mobo: Asus P8Z77M, Chassis: Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass editionStorage: Seagate 1TB + Samsung 2TB In RAID 0 + Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Sound Card: Asus Xonar DS, Mouse: Steelseries Sensei, Keyboard: CM Storm Quick Fire Pro, Monitor: BenQ G2410HD + Samsung SA1900

Thanks Genecidalic  and i am a windows person so this system would be great thanks again

No problem and also if you have a little extra to spend you could easily upgrade your graphics card or go for 8gb of ram

is it identical to the E520? i cant find anything about a 2520, if so, I'd buy a Q6600 and a 7790, an 8 GB ram kit and throw a copy of Mint or Fedora on it.

Buy an SSD.

My Build  CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955@4.1@Ghz Mobo: Asus M5A99x Evo R2.0 GPU: Asus 7870T @1.25GHz Core 5.5GHz Mem Ram: Kingston HyperX@ 1600 9-9-9-24 CPU Cooler: H80 Push/Pull Noctua NF-P12  SSD: Samsung 128GB 840 PRO HDD: Mix of drives which add up to 5.6TB SoundCard: Asus xonar DGX PSU: Corsair HX650 + alchemy cables Case: R3 with the rest of the fans being fractel fans.

Im A Snake.....

Honestly mate, It would be better to get a new pc instead of upgrading that old thing. Unless you just want to install linux. (which i don't really consider an upgrade). Most likely, nothing in there is salvagable

Yeah I agree, don't really see the point in upgrading. Maybe save up a little more and get a new computer instead.

CPU: i5 4670K, Mobo: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB, GPU: Asus 280X, Case: Fractal Design XLR2, SSD: 840 evo 120GB, HDD: 2x 1TB Seagate, PSU: Corsair RM750, Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo

Hey guys... I have this awesome tutorial on how to disable CAPS LOCK.

1. Press the key "CAPS LOCK" to disable CAPS LOCK when it's on.

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

If this computer is for you parents and only for web browsing and word processing, you really don't need to spend much. Take Genecidalic's parts and trade out the 7770 for a cheaper low power and low consumption card. I'm not very good with AMD processors but that one also might be a bit too much (not sure tho!). Also you can salvage some things from the old computer such as the HDD. Then use that money you saved for an SSD (a cheap&small one for cache or if possible enough for the full OS. An SSD is probably the best purchase you can make to a computer feel faster.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Build this instead, it's under 500$ with windows 8

You need to post the permalink and not the url.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

well here is the situation i have my own pc i use for myself the purpose for the other pc was to have that the rest of my family like my parents could use

What will they use the system for?

Btw, you have to quote a post or else the person won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.