Setting up

isaWtFB.png

Hey,

I decided to start folding but have two questions.

My CPU is refusing to start to fold. Its running at 100% but it has not yet given me a prediction on my PPD or an ETA. It has been running for a good 20 minutes now. The CPU is a 1100T at  stock. Is this normal and should I just wait it out?

Secondly, is my PPD for my GPU normal? Should I be expecting more? (7970 @ 1010MHz giving 4429 PPD).

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

For the CPU wait some more, it takes time until it gives you an ETA and PPD

If you want more PPD for the GPU, use the client-type beta  flag ( if you do that, do let the current WU end )

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

For the CPU wait some more, it takes time until it gives you an ETA and PPD

If you want more PPD for the GPU, use the client-type beta flag ( if you do that, do let the current WU end )

client-type advanced now :)

To the OP, there's a guide how to do that in the sticky, you should read through it for more general info.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

client-type advanced now :)

To the OP, there's a guide how to do that in the sticky, you should read through it for more general info.

Oh when did they change that? until 3-4 days ago it was beta

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

CPU has finally given me a PPD and ETA.

CBzMiVF.png

Is this PPD high or low compared with other CPUs?

I have a lot of thermal headroom (44C at load, 21C ambient). Would it be worth overclocking from 3.3 to ~4.0GHz? As a very rough estimate how much % increase in my PPD could I expect?

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

At 4.5Ghz my 3770k is getting 11092 PPD although I too only just got started 4 or 5 minutes ago

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

PPD from when i had that CPU i think was around 9K ( probably less ) depending on the WU, if you want to go to 4GHz itll be a bit faster, ( maybe i had it running at 4 when i was getting 9k PPD ) but the CPU will be running at 50Cish+ ( at least for me it was ) and didnt feel comfortable leaving that all day

EDIT: It'll probably be more than 50c with the max safe temp being 62 for these chips

Thanks!

Lastly, is that any F@H thermal throttling option?

As in, when the temp goes above #, the folding will be paused or slowed down until the temp reaches a reasonable level? I feel uncomfortable leaving this running while I am away from the PC.

Just had my first crash because of folding. -_-

This is why I stopped folding last time. Hopefully it doesn't carry on.

Crashing when folding is usually due to overclock or temps... FAH is VERY picky, especially on GPU overclocks. Run HWMonitor and keep and eye on temps and run everything at stock to test.

For your setup, the CPU will add a bit, but the main generator will be your GPU. Read the FAQ, and add the client-type advanced Flag to the GPU slot.

There is no thermal monitor for FAH - typically if your system gets to hot, it should start to throttling down, but folding will keep stressing the system. :) Not always a good combo.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Since the FAQ was written there was a client update I think. Is this correct?

NAXWBS9.png

Is there a way to limit GPU usage %?

Thanks!

Lastly, is that any F@H thermal throttling option?

As in, when the temp goes above #, the folding will be paused or slowed down until the temp reaches a reasonable level? I feel uncomfortable leaving this running while I am away from the PC.

Just had my first crash because of folding. -_-

This is why I stopped folding last time. Hopefully it doesn't carry on.

you can download coretemp and set a max temp, if that temp passes the pc will shutdown or whatever, but be careful since the 1090/1100T will not show the correct temp there, itll be around 15c lower than what Asus ProbeIt shows, so if coretemp shows you 50C, probeit will be at 65 which is the real temp!

you can download coretemp and set a max temp, if that temp passes the pc will shutdown or whatever, but be careful since the 1090/1100T will not show the correct temp there, itll be around 15c lower than what Asus ProbeIt shows, so if coretemp shows you 50C, probeit will be at 65 which is the real temp!

I'm more concerned about my GPU temp as that's around 71C while folding.

Since the FAQ was written there was a client update I think. Is this correct?

Is there a way to limit GPU usage %?

That is the "expert" section, so no - typically only add things there that apply to global settings. Click on the "slots" tab. Then you can add flags in there for specific slots - add the client-type to the GPU slot, and change it from beta to advanced.

Core17 has been more from beta stage to advanced stage...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

There is no way to limit usage directly per slot. Pande group has taken a LOT of suggestions for the updated client, and I would assume when release it will have a lot more granular control. This new version 7 was pushed out to make it much easier for typically users to get up and folding, hence a web page to control now, single slider, etc.

I would expect the next version to have a lot more customization options.

One thing some people do for GPU temps - undervolt/underclock it a bit for Folding, then temps should be a bit lower...

Thanks.

I am still confused as to where to add the beta flag. Should i put it here? : Still says "Expert Only".

oIjzQzq.png

I'm more concerned about my GPU temp as that's around 71C while folding.

Oh thats normal, my 680 runs about 75 when folding so i wouldnt be worried at all!

Thanks.

I am still confused as to where to add the beta flag. Should i put it here? : Still says "Expert Only".

oIjzQzq.png

Double click where it says GPU on the picture on right, then itll say Name : ( here add : client-type)  and then value: (here add : advanced ( as someone corrected me before ))

Double click where it says GPU on the picture on right, then itll say Name : ( here add : client-type)  and then value: (here add : advanced ( as someone corrected me before ))

Double clicking the GPU slot pops up the window on the left.

Should I put the keyvalue in the "Extra slot options (expert only)" box?

Double clicking the GPU slot pops up the window on the left.

Should I put the keyvalue in the "Extra slot options (expert only)" box?

Yeah sorry, click where it says Add but double click on the GPU and not CPU as you had done for that picture, that flag is only for the GPU

The reason they label it "expert" is because if you put the wrong flag, or mispell one, you can pause, delete or otherwise bork your folding. :)

Just make sure it is all spelled correct, and you are good to go.

Yeah sorry, click where it says Add but double click on the GPU and not CPU as you had done for that picture, that flag is only for the GPU

I see. I can't type in the fields though when I go to add the "flag".

I see. I can't type in the fields though when I go to add the "flag".

Hold up, give me two seconds and ill upload some pictures

When you see this, click on add on the bottom

QN4Iywf.png

This will pop up

uu1Kx6Z.png

And then type in this

XBddAH7.png

If you did these and something doesnt work/goes wrong then ive no clue :P

Okay, I restarted the client and it worked.

Thanks!

Finally got a new WU.

That PPD. :D

FuYNNFh.png