Good free anti virus software?

Jay123

why not use the AVG payed version!! just google for the key:p that's what i did.. and the same key works for all versions of AVG.. if u want it i can post it here

=

I've been using AVG (Free Edition) Since early 2008. Too keep it short: Never had a Virus since.

An opinion far away from your own can only be seen as madness.

Microsoft Security Essentials is a great anti virus and completely free! ;)

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Yes I would definitely recommend using Avast along with Anti Malwarebytes. I work for a computer repair company and they've been using it for years without any problems.:)

Have you checked with your ISP to see if they provide you with free anti-virus software? I have Comcast and they provide me with Norton 360 for free on all the computers in my house.

i5 3570K - MSI GD65 z77 - 660ti 2gb SLI - Kingston HyperX Blu 8gb (4x2gb) - Corsair H100i - Corsair 500r - Corsair HX 850w - Kingston HyperX 120gb SSD

I recently ditched Avast in favor of MSE. Avast was becoming too spammy, asking me to participate in surveys and having me register online to continue getting service.

The real protection comes from my use of NoScript and AdBlock, though.

In Canada, milk comes in bags.

AVG has kept me bug free. Effect on BIOS/bootup times is minimal for me.

MSE #1 Hands down

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

I use Avast - it is compatible with windows 8 and to make sure I am secure enough - Comodo Firewall. It also works on windows 8 jsut fine.
Here is the Win8 of Comodo

http://antivirus.comodo.com/windows-8/

Corsair 500r White - Sabertooth 990FX - FX8150 @ 4.6Ghz - Gskill Sniper 1866 - XFX Double D 7970

Creative Recon3D Fatal1ty - OCZ Vertex3 120GB - WD Black 2TB - Ultra X4 Modular 850w PSU

I use Sophos Endpoint Security now as I have access to about 800+ licences, but I have used many different brands of AV from Kaspersky to AVG to Avast to Avira and Even LANDesk (Which uses the Kaspersky engine) and i have always noticed that they all have different flaws some bog the system down when loading or scanning, some take forever to initiate when the pc is first loading and even some that completely make the system unusable.

LANDesk and Sophos are enterprise edition AV's and even they have their flaws. LANDesk at the moment is making some of our user’s pc's completely freeze and not wanting to update correctly, whereas Sophos doesn't seem to have many issues at all, it even comes with a firewall it also updates every hour and with a bit of tinkering you can get your system as secure as possible.

At the end of the day it is personal preference and you will not know until you try them all and see which one fits best for your environment.

Thats my opinion :D

If you are running Windows, Microsoft Security Essentials is the way to go, in my view.
Thats if its genuine windows (just sayin) try Avast i also hearded AVG is good

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

I am a fan of Avast aswell :D, MSE users smh :P

• i5 3570k @ 4.6ghz
  • Gigabyte z77
  • 8gb Corsair Vengeance
  • Galaxy GTX 670 OC
  • 120gb Patriot Pyro SE
  • 2TB WD Green

Using MSE with windows firewall can be a problem. You really should replace windows firewall if you're not willing to set outbound rules.

Title pretty much says it all. Has anyone got some recommendations of some free software?

AVG Anti virus is good for me. When you are using free anti virus , most of them are fairly equal in performance.

I run AVAST. It has saved my butt a few times. Its pretty light weight. Im using the free verison by the way. I also install the free version of Malwarebytes. Just as a back up.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

If you are running Windows, Microsoft Security Essentials is the way to go, in my view.
no, it will run fine on a les then legal copy of windos.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

I used Avast since forever, after installing windows8 i forgot doing it and guess what? i got a virus in about 4 days (even though i did not download ANYTHING but basic drivers and other trusted software, from trusted websites).

So:

i recommend avast, it does not slow your system down that much (or not at all if your system is not over 3 years old) and provides good protection, also you can turn of all of the notifications if you want.

MSE recently got slated for not have full protection...

I switched over from MSE to Avast! and haven't had any problems :)