Good free anti virus software?

Jay123

Title pretty much says it all. Has anyone got some recommendations of some free software?

"An Excellent Signature"

I'm sure everyone will have their own personal preference when it comes to AV solutions. I currently use a paid option, Webroot purely because it only cost me a few quid in a recent promotion and uses such a tiny footprint.

For free MSE seems popular - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/security-essentials-download

To compliment that I'd recommend Malwarebytes and/or Emsisoft - http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/ or http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/

Can't go wrong with Microsoft Security Essentials. It doesn't perform the best in virus detention "benchmarks" (lack of a better term), but it still performs well, and doesn't take much resources. You need a legitimate version of Windows to install it though.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/secu...urity/mse.aspx

If you are running Windows, Microsoft Security Essentials is the way to go, in my view.

Thanks guys, I've used MWbytes is the past so I think I'll get that and MSE.

"An Excellent Signature"

I have been using the beta of ESET Smart Security 6 for the past 200+ days, just go to http://www.eset.com/us/beta/v6/ and install it, then after the 100 day beta reinstall it ;) Works great and I have been getting friends to do it as well.

I've used Avast before, was okay, now I don't even use AV's anymore.

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

I use Avast - it is compatible with windows 8 and to make sure I am secure enough - Comodo Firewall. It also works on windows 8 jsut fine.

Wouldn't recommend MSE anymore, recently it hasn't picked up some pretty big viruses. Avast does very well, free and non-intrusive, been using it for a long time and i've had no issues.

I am using AVG 2013 (feeling strange now) :D

i haven't used a AV in a long time. but if i was to choose it would go with Microsoft Essentials. or just run Malwarebytes once in a while.

Using AVAST FREE for a couple years, great software, gets regular updates.

All of you are wrong.. the best free antivir is you brain... by using your brain, and not downloading all sh1t you can find you will be virus free...

But you should be aware of FUD things which are crypted ;) so try Malewarebytes anti maleware and then u dont rly need anything else..

A good virus is not detected by any antivir so why make your pc slower when it does NOT keep yous afe against those?

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

MSE + Malwarebytes is golden! :)

i5 2500K - Asrock Extreme4 Gen3 - G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB- Asus GTX660 Ti - Crucial M4 256Gb

McAfee anything - CPU spikes are just the pits. Other than the fact that the man is a fugitive.....

MSE for me.

Stuff I try to use;

AMD FX 8350 4.3Ghz, Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Motherboard, 2x Asus HD6850, 8BG Kingston Hyper X RAM, Hyper X 120Gb SSD, Corsair GS800 PSU, Cooler Master HAF922 Case and my branes.

Not using one myself, but I would recommend MSE or AVG. Have had too many problems with people who have Avast, but then again my "People I know who have Avast" to "People I know who use something else" ratio makes my view a bit biased.

I personally use Avast. The free version will be sufficient.

Might want to check with your IPS mine gives me Norton 360 for free on like 4 computers

I love Norton can turn it off when need and catches nearly everything and has a very low footprint but you wanted free AVG isnt too bad use on peoples computer who I take all their virus off (just friends and family) that along with MWbits some people find it annoying I personnel did when I had it on my PC its really up to you OP just try one out for a week if you don't like it uninstall it and try a different one

I have Comcast in case you where wondering

Avast free is one of the best free AV. Most of the time viruses need some interaction from user so if you use PC carefuly and think with head then any AV will be enough :)

Passionate indie android developer

MSE and safe surfing (this applies to any A/V).

Note: Windows 8 has MSE already included in the OS. Microsoft renamed it, Windows Defender (no not the same Windows Defender from Windows 7 and Vista).

As soon as an A/V software becomes popular, the suckier it gets. Why? When an A/V is popular, it encourages virus maker to try to find ways to circumvent the A/V detection algorithm. But also getting a rare one that one is interested in, is also not good, as it might actually suck. So that is why Windows 8 Windows Defender won't be good soon. So was it stupid for Microsoft to include MSE in Windows 8? No. The goal of Microsoft so provide SOMETHING. Most users have expired trial A/V that came with their computer, and don't bother upgrading, as you have to pay, and don't know about free solutions. So while it hurts Microsoft A/V solution effectiveness, it's better than nothing, or worst, the illusion of having an A/V, but doesn't work as it is expired.

I have to recommend against AVG, for the simple fact that its components take AGES to start with WIndows. This makes WIndows start much slower. And I don't mean the login to your account part. I mean when the BIOS/UEFI start the boot of Windows to the login (if any) screen. This includes any A/V that does this... so I am looking at you Norton.

I believe that an A/V should be invisible to the user at all times, unless there is virus detection. MSE (and Windows Defender in Windows 8) does that.

MSE is bad when we talk about file detection.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

This is the only site that you can trust. 99% Other tests, benchmarks etc. are subjective or changed in purpose of marketing.

File detection test Latest tests. MSE file detection result is one of the worst.

More tests you get on their site.

My favorite is Kaspersky IS. One of the best file detection, very few false alarms.

On Netbook i use Comodo Firewall (its free) and its enought. I know what I am browsing on internet, I disabled autoruns from removable devices and thats all I need because every virus today is going to connect on the internet and when it does, you recive message then you can delete yourself :)

You should try a free version of Bitdefender.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.