How bad is voltage dips for computers?

orangecat

Just a minute ago the power went off for a second and when it came back on i noticed the light where dimmer for a few seconds so i assumed the power was not it's full 110-120v that it should be. i know most power supplies can run down into the low 90v range but I was wondering if the system is on and the mains voltage dips low enough could it damage your hardware? i assume no because nearly all PSU's have undervoltage protection but that doesn't mean it's 100% safe.

Just a minute ago the power went off for a second and when it came back on i noticed the light where dimmer for a few seconds so i assumed the power was not it's full 110-120v that it should be. i know most power supplies can run down into the low 90v range but I was wondering if the system is on and the mains voltage dips low enough could it damage your hardware? i assume no because nearly all PSU's have undervoltage protection but that doesn't mean it's 100% safe.

Dips are not something to worry about, it is when you get spikes is when shit breaks

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

The PSU will turn off if the input is out of its operable range, so the PSU will turn off before it does very much.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Like others have said, the PSU will shut off before any damage occurs. Actually, depending on your mains in your house, they will shut off even before that.

But buy a surge protector if you really are worried.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

A good PSU will save your ass, But a brown out can be worse for your system as a spike will usually blow a trip / fuse and is considered more dangerous and was protected against for longer in PSU's generally.

It all depends on what your using and if the fail-safes work correctly.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

As long as you have a good quality PSU, it'll automatically shut off if power input or output goes outside of safe margins. 

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan