[Mini-News]: NYC high school bomb threats were done to impress gamers

Bouzoo

well kids make 911 prank calls so lets just ignore 911 calls from kids and your argument is people make fake bomb calls so lets just ignore bomb calls

No, that's not my argument. My argument is that people who really do make bombs to hurt people don't call them in because it would be against the very nature of what they're trying to achieve.

I know nothing about US system, but if he was a minor can he go to jail (for 15 years)?

As a bomb threat it can be classified as terrorism and he can be put in for life without a trial or bail.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

As a bomb threat it can be classified as terrorism and he can be put in for life without a trial or bail.

Which is rediculas, he made a very dumb choice but that is not a reason to ruin someone's life.

Which is rediculas, he made a very dumb choice but that is not a reason to ruin someone's life.

Its worse too, there's one guy that's in for posting a sarcastic comment regarding the Sandy Hook shooting on a league of legends community facebook page.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Its worse too, there's one guy that's in for posting a sarcastic comment regarding the Sandy Hook shooting on a league of legends community facebook page.

Wow, they really have nothing better to do or they can't actually do their jobs well. 

Should we not just stop taking bomb threats seriously? It seems that the only times there actually is a bomb there has been no threat phoned in what so ever.

and when a bomb goes off and hurts people or kills them what is the response. "Sorry too many people called wolf, we ignored the call and did nothing.
Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

No, that's not my argument. My argument is that people who really do make bombs to hurt people don't call them in because it would be against the very nature of what they're trying to achieve.

About 30 years of telephoned-in bomb threats that resulted in many dead civilians, destroyed cars, bridges and buildings in the UK and Northern Ireland disagree with you.

Why don't you do some reading up on the "IRA".

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

"The bomb has been planted"

xD

Inb4ninjadefuse

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

and when a bomb goes off and hurts people or kills them what is the response. "Sorry too many people called wolf, we ignored the call and did nothing.

Read my earlier posts. I have addressed this exact question at least 3 times now.

About 30 years of telephoned-in bomb threats that resulted in many dead civilians, destroyed cars, bridges and buildings in the UK and Northern Ireland disagree with you.

Why don't you do some reading up on the "IRA".

No comment on the IRA, that whole thing was a massively fucked up situation that is thankfully (mostly) over now, isolated to the UK and Northern Ireland. I am mainly talking about the US as an example here.

Read my earlier posts. I have addressed this exact question at least 3 times now.

No comment on the IRA, that whole thing was a massively fucked up situation that is thankfully (mostly) over now, isolated to the UK and Northern Ireland. I am mainly talking about the US as an example here.

The problem is that your suggestion we ignore the unpredictable. Bombs in general are a rarity and if and when they do go off they do damage. The people who actually set them are typically in some way crazy or are so caught up in their cause they have forgotten all "logic" and will do illogical things which is why they are dangerous. You have no idea if John Doe is going to actually call about the bomb he planted or not. You have no idea if he will detonate it when the bus is unloading or when their is minimal people. We do not know what someone is going to do when they are willing to murder, therefore you can't ignore threats. 

I'm not saying that most threats aren't hollow and that they do disrupt lives. But then so do Fire Drills and False alarms. But as a Society we have grown to accept these and work them into how we go about are days. Schools however are a interesting place for potential threats, NO ONE wants to respond to or hear about another Sandy Hook. Which is why whenever there is a threat they take it seriously. 

So there are crazy unpredictable people in the world (few) in numbers but some have a capability to carry out disaster. If Someone wants to complain about having their day disrupted because a threat may or may not be real (and I will agree here it is rare that its Genuine) then I hope that one day their arrogance catches up to them. Because frankly I would rather stand out on a field for a few hours than have hear and think about planned attack on a school, transit system you name it. 

You truly are the "Devils Advocate" aren't you. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

The problem is that your suggestion we ignore the unpredictable. Bombs in general are a rarity and if and when they do go off they do damage. The people who actually set them are typically in some way crazy or are so caught up in their cause they have forgotten all "logic" and will do illogical things which is why they are dangerous. You have no idea if John Doe is going to actually call about the bomb he planted or not. You have no idea if he will detonate it when the bus is unloading or when their is minimal people. We do not know what someone is going to do when they are willing to murder, therefore you can't ignore threats. 

I'm not saying that most threats aren't hollow and that they do disrupt lives. But then so do Fire Drills and False alarms. But as a Society we have grown to accept these and work them into how we go about are days. Schools however are a interesting place for potential threats, NO ONE wants to respond to or hear about another Sandy Hook. Which is why whenever there is a threat they take it seriously. 

So there are crazy unpredictable people in the world (few) in numbers but some have a capability to carry out disaster. If Someone wants to complain about having their day disrupted because a threat may or may not be real (and I will agree here it is rare that its Genuine) then I hope that one day their arrogance catches up to them. Because frankly I would rather stand out on a field for a few hours than have hear and think about planned attack on a school, transit system you name it. 

You truly are the "Devils Advocate" aren't you. 

I might be. ;)

I disagree with what you say though, and so does history so far. Let's consider another argument though, bomb threats could make bombings even more lethal than if said bomb threat had gone ignored. Say you want to inflict maximal casualties bombing a school, you could very easily learn the schools bomb routine and set up accordingly. If you know the school evacuates to say the football field that makes for a perfect setting. Hitting 3000 people on a football field is a lot easier than hitting 3000 people in separate rooms in a huge school. Additionally getting access to the football field during off hours is a whole lot easier than gaining access to the school, all you have to do is jump a fence. Of course you would have to design your bomb(s) accordingly, but several smaller shrapnel bombs ie. S-mine devices would definitely do the job. Call in the threat and hit everyone in one place.

I swear to god the NSA is gonna be knocking on my door any of these days now.

I might be. ;)

I disagree with what you say though, and so does history so far. Let's consider another argument though, bomb threats could make bombings even more lethal than if said bomb threat had gone ignored. Say you want to inflict maximal casualties bombing a school, you could very easily learn the schools bomb routine and set up accordingly. If you know the school evacuates to say the football field that makes for a perfect setting. Hitting 3000 people on a football field is a lot easier than hitting 3000 people in separate rooms in a huge school. Additionally getting access to the football field during off hours is a whole lot easier than gaining access to the school, all you have to do is jump a fence. Of course you would have to design your bomb(s) accordingly, but several smaller shrapnel bombs ie. S-mine devices would definitely do the job. Call in the threat and hit everyone in one place.

I swear to god the NSA is gonna be knocking on my door any of these days now.

History for these types of instances has been relatively short, what we fear is the future.

I can't say that your right but I can't say you are wrong. Statisticly you have a point, and yes if you knew where the evacuation zone was you do more damage. But then you are still trying to predict the unknown. Take a chance, however not everyone can sit tight and believe statistics will be right and protect everyone. Terrorism has struck fear into a lot of people the government has to in a sense. And just as if we were young and feared the monsters under are bed, and made our parents check it out even though there was nothing there. It made feel better, less scared and let us get on with our lives. The parents could tell the kid that monster don't exist but that does little to calm them down. And I believe this is the best analogy I can use. It doesn't make sense because "monsters" don't exist, but it doesn't matter to some people. Foolish perhaps but it's reality. And it's why we end up taking all threats seriously.

If we could ignore The threats then perhaps the trolls will go away , which is a good thing but ignoring it could also allow someone to mislead people, call it in because they are crazy and let the place ignore it, then boom. But yet again we reach a point of well it's circumstantial and plausible but will it happen?

All of this rides on a what if. But how we approach this what if fueled by our fear not stats or history and how we value lives.

I guess because I can't agree with you and you won't agree with me, we should probably stop before there are black helicopters and vans swarming our homes because of fear and assumptions. And instead find another way to stop trolls without having to ignore threats and without having to evacuate a building every time there is threat to prove if it's hollow or not. So better analysis of the situation.

Spoiler