Processing Power Comparision for 50th anniversary of Moore's Law

Napper198

So where does a 4690k and a 970 sit on that list? Well above the PS4 I assume. Just using that as a benchmark/reference, I'd honestly like to know how many times more powerful my PC is compared to the cray-2

Not that hard with the Cray-2 at 1.9 GFLOPS. My HD 5870 is rated for 2.72 TFLOPS (2720 GFLOPS). That's 1431x faster than the Cray-2 supercomputer.

At least for your Intel CPU you can actually test it for yourself with Intels linpack (LinX 0.6.5 is a great GUI based program for it) which is designed to determine the processing power of supercomputers. Beware: for Haswell CPUs this Benchmark is even worse than small FFT on prime95. Use with caution.

My 5820k with it's 4,375GHz runs at about 300GFlops which puts it right between Xbox 360 and Wii U. Keep in mind that the modern consoles like Wii U, PS4 and Xbox One have APUs so they probably used the graphics power, too. 

Moore's law -snip-

Yeah, you're right. Also the 8086 was a single core whereas the Xeon E5 is a 18 core monster, so you can't really compare them at all. depending on where you start and end the Results will be differrent. Lets just  say we hit the target with a 25% error margin  :lol: 

Did no one remember the big push for folding at home on ps3s? Before PC's used largely gpgpus the ps3 had a sizeable advantage and it's wide network of consoles working together are exactly what some people are thinking of in the thread

I did not forget that and yes distributed computing is technically a supercomputer, too, but as Linus has pointed out in a recent Techquickie some tasks can't be broken up into pieces so your full RAM must be accessible all the time and the internet or even standard LAN just doesn't cut it here.

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

Cool

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Did no one remember the big push for folding at home on ps3s? Before PC's used largely gpgpus the ps3 had a sizeable advantage and it's wide network of consoles working together are exactly what some people are thinking of in the thread

I knew about that (and also contributed) back when it was supported. It just didn't seem to be what he was asking for -- I thought he was just looking for solely PS3-based compute clusters, not a distributed computing network that happened to support PS3s as well.

Imagine taking an Iphone pack to 1985 and showing them that not only does it beat their Supercomputer but it also has pretty lights and a touch screen.

Interesting Article and nice post :)

Thanks

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Imagine taking an Iphone pack to 1985 and showing them that not only does it beat their Supercomputer but it also has pretty lights and a touch screen.

Interesting Article and nice post :)

Thanks

Their brain would lock up trying to understand what is happening  :lol:

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

Hahahaha look at that poor little Wii U compared to the Xbox 360 that came out like 6 years earlier.

Every time I see the Apollo guidance computer specs I'm amazed by what they achieved with that.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.