not enough sata connectors.

chimmychunger

Ok so i am getting a msi z77 mpower mobo and it only has 2 sata 3 connectors and that is fine becouse i am getting 1 hard drive and an ssd but what do i do if i add another ssd in the future. please help.

Put the hard drive on a SATA2 connector to start off with - leaves your SATA3 one free. Honestly, I doubt you notice difference really on a mechanical drive between SATA2 and SATA3 exept if you are benchmarking. You could also buy a two port SATA3 PCIe card to if you really needed to.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

SATA2 for a normal hard drive is enough. But if you use a high rpm hard drive like the VelociRaptor from WD it is better to plug this in a SATA3 port.

I don't think any harddrive can write and read fast enough to actually completely saturate the SATA 2 port.

Oh you meant Data not Power, yeah you can use SATA 2 for the hard drive. 3Gb/s is still 375MB/s so it's more than enough bandwidth for your hard drive.

Put the hard drive on a SATA2 connector to start off with - leaves your SATA3 one free. Honestly' date=' I doubt you notice difference really on a mechanical drive between SATA2 and SATA3 exept if you are benchmarking. You could also buy a two port SATA3 PCIe card to if you really needed to.[/quote']

Check the reviews on PCIe sata cards before you buy them, but they're an option.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Blacks which are the fastest drives out there only read at around the 200MB/s mark which means that they wont be anywhere near that in terms of write performance and like bartek said the speeds for SATA2 is 375MB/s.

I personally own a SYBA SD-PEX40054 PCI-Express 2.0 x4 SATA III for my older x58 mobo. I love it. It lets my older mobo still run my OCZ vertex 4 at around 450 mbs per sec. I got it for around $30 off a website that shouldnt be named in front of Linus. But regardless it works great for me. You would be able to add 4 more sata connections on the cheap if you have the extra Pci-e lanes.

Strange thing is, when I moved over to X58 (from H77), I brought with me my SATA 3 6Gbps card into the X58, but it seems like the X58 is blocking off since I'm only getting 200Mbps both ways with my 830. And on my H77 I got 360Mbps with the card, and a full 500Mbit on-board the H77.

MEH