Subwoofer Auditions: SVS and PSA

johnt

Anybody have experience with SVS or PSA auditions? I really want to test out their audition for subwoofers. I understand why they are doing it and I think it's great. But the shipping charges for 50+ lb serious-woofers frightens me... a lot. I'm interested in two SVS subs and one massive PSA sub.

While SVS uses relatively clear terms, the language in PSA's FAQs is very... questionable. I understand why they wrote it. Some lawyer told them they have to... but basically it does sit well with my stomach...

post-192300-0-24820200-1432431541.png

Has anyone used SVS or PSA auditions and ended up returning the sub? Was it really hassle free? Did you get jacked with any fees?

Nope.  SVS makes a quality product, as does HSU and M&K, although some of their best products are no longer in production.  I know nothing about PSA.

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

Nope.  SVS makes a quality product, as does HSU and M&K, although some of their best products are no longer in production.  I know nothing about PSA.

Indeed they make a very quality product. They make so many good ones that I don't actually know which one to choose... hence the trial.

Svs offers free shipping both way so no risk trying those. As for psa, give them call. Find out from them what they can do for you. Let them know you're looking at svs but are interested in psa. If they want the sell they'll match svs free both ways shipping

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

Anybody have experience with SVS or PSA auditions? I really want to test out their audition for subwoofers. I understand why they are doing it and I think it's great. But the shipping charges for 50+ lb serious-woofers frightens me... a lot. I'm interested in two SVS subs and one massive PSA sub.

While SVS uses relatively clear terms, the language in PSA's FAQs is very... questionable. I understand why they wrote it. Some lawyer told them they have to... but basically it does sit well with my stomach...

attachicon.gifpsa_faq.PNG

Has anyone used SVS or PSA auditions and ended up returning the sub? Was it really hassle free? Did you get jacked with any fees?

Did you ever decide to try them out or not? I'm looking into getting a new sub and am looking at the pb-1000 or sb-1000.

Did you ever decide to try them out or not? I'm looking into getting a new sub and am looking at the pb-1000 or sb-1000.

You know what? I did! I spent a lot of time looking into the specs and fixing my budget before ordering. I didn't want to hassle with mailing a subwoofer back that I didn't want. I also took a day and drove about ~80 miles to a local Best Buy store that carried SVS products. I was totally blown away by the quality. SVS makes some fantastic subs. But Best Buy only had sealed subs. Sealed subs mix so well with music, it's almost unbelievable. I'm much more of a gamer and movie watcher, so I really want a ported sub.

After my research, I ended up ordering a PSA subwoofer. I learned that the current owners of PSA actually founded SVS and have now moved on to a different brand (PSA). I guess SVS is fully made in China and delivered to the US for retail, while PSA manages to create a mostly American crafted product. But I suspect the PCB is still made in China. That might not matter as much to you. But SVS has a retail presence, and PSA is "American made." so both carry slightly inflated costs.

Comparing the product lines, the PSA V1500 fit my budget at around $1,000. SVS didn't offer anything in that price range, and all of SVS offerings didn't match my other criteria either. I really wanted a 15" if I was going to spend that much money on a subwoofer. Plus, the PB-2000 was quite a bit less power compared to the PSA V1500, and I was not thrilled with the SB-2000 I heard at Best Buy. It just felt under powered for the speakers they were demoing for me. And yeah... the PB-1000 on SVS's website caught my attention because it was nearly half the cost of an PB-2000.

My thoughts were to try out the PSA, and if I really don't like it, then I would start looking at other products and comparing. The owner said they provide a 30 day trial, but he wouldn't mind extending it a couple days if necessary. So I felt pretty comfortable going this route.

I put my order in last week. FedEx tracking says the package will be delivered on Monday. I don't mind coming back and giving you some of my initial thoughts.

Although with your speakers (I checked out your link in the signature), either the SB or PB-1000 would be a great fit. Anything from SVS or PSA might be an improvement over that trusty 100w Sony  ;)

You know what? I did! I spent a lot of time looking into the specs and fixing my budget before ordering. I didn't want to hassle with mailing a subwoofer back that I didn't want. I also took a day and drove about ~80 miles to a local Best Buy store that carried SVS products. I was totally blown away by the quality. SVS makes some fantastic subs. But Best Buy only had sealed subs. Sealed subs mix so well with music, it's almost unbelievable. I'm much more of a gamer and movie watcher, so I really want a ported sub.

After my research, I ended up ordering a PSA subwoofer. I learned that the current owners of PSA actually founded SVS and have now moved on to a different brand (PSA). I guess SVS is fully made in China and delivered to the US for retail, while PSA manages to create a mostly American crafted product. But I suspect the PCB is still made in China. That might not matter as much to you. But SVS has a retail presence, and PSA is "American made." so both carry slightly inflated costs.

Comparing the product lines, the PSA V1500 fit my budget at around $1,000. SVS didn't offer anything in that price range, and all of SVS offerings didn't match my other criteria either. I really wanted a 15" if I was going to spend that much money on a subwoofer. Plus, the PB-2000 was quite a bit less power compared to the PSA V1500, and I was not thrilled with the SB-2000 I heard at Best Buy. It just felt under powered for the speakers they were demoing for me. And yeah... the PB-1000 on SVS's website caught my attention because it was nearly half the cost of an PB-2000.

My thoughts were to try out the PSA, and if I really don't like it, then I would start looking at other products and comparing. The owner said they provide a 30 day trial, but he wouldn't mind extending it a couple days if necessary. So I felt pretty comfortable going this route.

I put my order in last week. FedEx tracking says the package will be delivered on Monday. I don't mind coming back and giving you some of my initial thoughts.

Although with your speakers (I checked out your link in the signature), either the SB or PB-1000 would be a great fit. Anything from SVS or PSA might be an improvement over that trusty 100w Sony  ;)

the PSA subs are a little out of my price range. I think the ps or pb 1000 will be fine for my setup in my room. Leaning towards the ported. But I would still like to hear what you think of them. Might consider them for a future upgrade

the PSA subs are a little out of my price range. I think the ps or pb 1000 will be fine for my setup in my room. Leaning towards the ported. But I would still like to hear what you think of them. Might consider them for a future upgrade

The PS/PB-1000 are definitely appealing for their prices.

No problem. I'll provide a quick update on Monday or Tuesday.

HOLY SHIT! This thing is frightening! PSA should win an award for the v1500 subwoofer. It hits so clean. So hard! It doesn't even sound like a ported sub until I start pushing it like crazy. The build quality is outstanding. The finish is a rough black that nicely catches bright light. Cameras are not advanced enough to show off this finish. It's subtle, but quite fancy. It's extremely durable too.

Overall, the sub mixes really nicely with my floorstanding speakers for music. They can go down to 35ish Hz, but I have the crossover set to 60 Hz, and I'm really shocked to see my cheapo Yamaha receiver is providing some crossover around 60 Hz so that both floorstanding and subwoofer are rocking together. The sub is so linear. So perfect. It's an absolute experience listening to music. Using 5-channel audio DSP is an entirely elevated level.

I watched Star Trek Into Darkness last night. Honestly? I thought subwoofers just made noise. I had a Klipsch 12" 200w previously and I thought it couldn't get any better. This PSA bomb at the back of my loft actually produced effects that made me feel like I was in a transport shuttle. I could hear and feel things happening in the movie... very... VERY clearly and distinctly. I could hear it was the shuttle, the laser, warp speed, or an explosion. It didn't just sound like a farty mess trying to shake my house because it doesn't know any better. This sub sounds like an instrument.

I haven't had a chance to try any gaming, but... I have a good feeling about it  ;)

There is only one negative to this subwoofer: the price tag. At $1,050, it's not cheap. But I would buy a second one in a heartbeat. My other option near this print point was the 15" Klipsch. I saw it in a local store. I heard it. And it's a rotund, obese, farty bastard for $900 without an education for music or movies. It just moves air by comparison to a real subwoofer. For $150 more, this PSA is a bargain.

post-192300-0-10088200-1433261432.png post-192300-0-93525100-1433261436.png post-192300-0-73938700-1433261439.png

@superfly498 I posted my initial thoughts with some pictures. I definitely think you're in for a treat if you go with an SVS subwoofer compared to the Sony you're using now. I still say keep your eyes open for outlet deals on PSA's website. Both companies make really good subwoofers.

You better not have kids around. That port could suck them up no problem and they'll be stuck inside forever. 

No kids yet. I definitely agree! I might have to turn the port toward the living room downstairs so my future pesky kids don't get stuck.  :lol:

@superfly498 I posted my initial thoughts with some pictures. I definitely think you're in for a treat if you go with an SVS subwoofer compared to the Sony you're using now. I still say keep your eyes open for outlet deals on PSA's website. Both companies make really good subwoofers.

I ordered the SVS pb-1000. Should be here thursday. I will post my thoughts on it after I have a chance to test it out. I might have to consider one of those though for my home theater upgrade once I move in a few months though.

@JohnT I got the pb-1000 a few days ago. It is awesome. So much more powerful than that sony. This thing is huge too.  Barely any room under my desk now.  It goes great with my Kanto Yumi's.  The adjustable crossover is nice as well. I can filter out all the high frequencies that were coming out of my old one.  I played some movies too and I can hear every rumble or low end sound. This sub is perfect for my room.

@JohnT I got the pb-1000 a few days ago. It is awesome. So much more powerful than that sony. This thing is huge too.  Barely any room under my desk now.  It goes great with my Kanto Yumi's.  The adjustable crossover is nice as well. I can filter out all the high frequencies that were coming out of my old one.  I played some movies too and I can hear every rumble or low end sound. This sub is perfect for my room.

Awesome! I'm thoroughly impressed with mine as well. The low frequency details are so noticeable. I feel like I was missing out on a lot.

I only have one... ehhhhhhhhhh.... minor issue with it. The stupid AUTO feature works... perfectly. A little too perfectly. I don't like how I can't adjust how long it waits until it turns off. PSA arbitrarily uses 13 minutes for this sub before turning off the amp. I've noticed my sub is off during most of the movie, and then the explosion or shuttle triggers the amp. At which point the action is usually over and the sub is sitting there idle again. Oh well. At least I can turn it on and leave it on.

The other issue I've noticed is that most music content does not extend much lower than 60 Hz. I always have to boost the bass signal from my amplifier to get the sub to hit more frequently (which boosts all of the other channels too). I guess I can turn up the crossover frequency, but then why do I own floor-standing speakers.

Oh well first world problems I guess  :)

I know what you mean about space. I just scoped through your photos... can your pb-1000 fit in the corner?

post-192300-0-58157200-1433629005_thumb.

No kids yet. I definitely agree! I might have to turn the port toward the living room downstairs so my future pesky kids don't get stuck.  :lol:

Small animals too.

My sub is only 130$...

Still i have a better sound system than most non sound people

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Small animals too.

My sub is only 130$...

Still i have a better sound system than most non sound people

As long as it works for you, right?

My older 2.1 was causing me extreme fatigue at moderate listening volumes for music and gaming. So I took them downstairs to use with my TV, and I started getting bad headaches after a half hour show. I've owned my 2.1 since 2005/2006. It was a great set, and I still think they sound great! But they just aren't what they used to be.

post-192300-0-01858400-1433648863.jpg

My new 5.1 is extreme by comparison. 

As long as it works for you, right?

My older 2.1 was causing me extreme fatigue at moderate listening volumes for music and gaming. So I took them downstairs to use with my TV, and I started getting bad headaches after a half hour show. I've owned my 2.1 since 2005/2006. It was a great set, and I still think they sound great! But they just aren't what they used to be.

klipsch_ifi_300px.jpg

My new 5.1 is extreme by comparison.

Yeah.

I like it, so it's good. For now at least. In the future I might want something more, but I'm happy with my current 5.1 system.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Actually the story of my new subwoofer is kinda interesting. I posted on the Audioholics forum if I had purchased the wrong Yamaha AVR to power my speakers. So I listed all my new speakers, including a 12" Klipsch sub I purchased for $250 at Fry's.

Well I got a huge slap in the face! Turns out my AVR was just fine. All of the replies were targeting how crappy that subwoofer was. So they recommended I look into PSA, SVS, Hsu, and maybe a couple others.

I fought back hard. I said it was fine. $250... huge sale! F OFF! And damn was I wrong! 

Yeah.

I like it, so it's good. For now at least. In the future I might want something more, but I'm happy with my current 5.1 system.

Out of curiosity, which set are you using?

Out of curiosity, which set are you using?

Kinda mishmashed parts.

Receiver:

sony STR-d965

Speakers:

Satellites and center speaker from Polk RM6005

Sub:

Polk PSW10

Kinda mishmashed parts.

Receiver:

sony STR-d965

Speakers:

Satellites and center speaker from Polk RM6005

Sub:

Polk PSW10

Nice AVR! That thing looks serious. Even dual zone fronts. That subwoofer seems about right for your satellites. I thought it was sealed when I searched for pictures. A clever down facing port

Nice AVR! That thing looks serious. Even dual zone fronts. That subwoofer seems about right for your satellites. I thought it was sealed when I searched for pictures. A clever down facing port

Isn't the port front facing?

Because on the front I see the woofer and the port.

The think I don't like about my receiver, is it only has stereo inputs

Isn't the port front facing?

Because on the front I see the woofer and the port.

The think I don't like about my receiver, is it only has stereo inputs

Oops Google returned the wrong subwoofer when I searched for it. Yup the port is definitely in the front lol

You could always just upgrade your receiver. But I do need to warn you, surround sound from a PC is not straightforward. Toslink/optical is fantastic for music, but not all games support surround sound through optical (BIoshock Infinite, GRID Autosport). HDMI is the best for gaming, but I have to use my video card for that, which means I have to extent my desktop to that display, but it's not connected to anything. It's super annoying for general desktop use to have an extended desktop that you can't see. I guess I can connect my monitor through HDMI, but DP has clearer text at 1440p.

It's just annoying. Perpetually changing settings. Add on a third layer if you use headphones.

Oops Google returned the wrong subwoofer when I searched for it. Yup the port is definitely in the front lol

You could always just upgrade your receiver. But I do need to warn you, surround sound from a PC is not straightforward. Toslink/optical is fantastic for music, but not all games support surround sound through optical (BIoshock Infinite, GRID Autosport). HDMI is the best for gaming, but I have to use my video card for that, which means I have to extent my desktop to that display, but it's not connected to anything. It's super annoying for general desktop use to have an extended desktop that you can't see. I guess I can connect my monitor through HDMI, but DP has clearer text at 1440p.

It's just annoying. Perpetually changing settings. Add on a third layer if you use headphones.

My main monitor is HDMI, so I'm fine.

Once I get some money I'll look on craigslist for receiver