2013 New Gaming Build, thoughts?

Here's my planned new build.

Intel i7-4770K
Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z87X-D3H 
Corsair 8GB Vengeance Pro 1866MHz (Blue)
240GB Sandisk Extreme SSD
1TB Barracuda 7200rpm HDD
EVGA Superclocked GTX 780 ACX cooler
Corsair Vengeance C70 Black Case
Corsair HX750 Modular PSU

If anyone has any experience with any of these components, your opinions are welcome.

Cheers,
J

System Spec

Corsair C70 Black -- Intel i7-4770K @4.2GHz -- Corsair H100i --Gigabtye Z87X D3H -- Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1866MHz (Blue)-- Sandisk Extreme SSD 240GB -- WD Caviar Black 2TB 7200rpm -- EVGA GTX 780 with ACX Cooler -- Corsair HX750

psu is a bit too much. is it only for gaming? 1600 ram is enough for that but if prices aren't too much far then go for 1866.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

Overclocked cards are a waste of money. Get a regular EVGA 780, the warranty covers bad OCs

Why do you need a 240gb ssd?

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I have a C70, it's a really sweet case, everything else looks pretty good to me.

Edit - actually I'd have to agree with maybe looking at 1866 or higher on the ram.

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac

there's a pretty negligible difference between 1866 and 1600 unless you're getting an APU.

PSU is probably overkill, but are you planning on SLI'ing, or anything like that?

good cooler, ssd and hdd.

Go for it!

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

psu is a bit too much. is it only for gaming? 1600 ram is enough for that but if prices aren't too much far then go for 1866.

Why is the PSU to much? Its good if he is going to have SLI..

IF. he didn't say he was going to.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Why do you need a 240gb ssd?

I currently have a 120GB SSD, which is almost full of programs etc.

I play around in UDK and save all my projects on SSD, plus I'd like to maybe install some games on SSD to reduce loading times.

System Spec

Corsair C70 Black -- Intel i7-4770K @4.2GHz -- Corsair H100i --Gigabtye Z87X D3H -- Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1866MHz (Blue)-- Sandisk Extreme SSD 240GB -- WD Caviar Black 2TB 7200rpm -- EVGA GTX 780 with ACX Cooler -- Corsair HX750

IF. he didn't say he was going to.

I may SLI in the future, would a 750W cover two GTX 780???

I don't think I'm going to need it for a while though.

System Spec

I currently have a 120GB SSD, which is almost full of programs etc.

I play around in UDK and save all my projects on SSD, plus I'd like to maybe install some games on SSD to reduce loading times.

Unless its a single player game, saving games on SSD wont help you at all. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Unless its a single player game, saving games on SSD wont help you at all. 

How about MMO's? Loading times are much quicker when you go into new zones or instances.

How about MMO's? Loading times are much quicker when you go into new zones or instances.

yes, how about them? for an mmo with huge maps such as GW2, I don't see why it won't help at all.

if you plan on sli'ing, definitely stick to that.

the only real problem with having a high powered psu is that they aren't as efficienr at lower power draws.

EG. a 550w at load will be 80%+ efficient, but a 750w won't be that efficient. But this is personal preference. personally, i (accidentaly) bought an overkill psu, a 700w, and i ended up not upgrading so i'm kinda stuck with it now.

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

the only real problem with having a high powered psu is that they aren't as efficienr at lower power draws.

EG. a 550w at load will be 80%+ efficient, but a 750w won't be that efficient. But this is personal preference. personally, i (accidentaly) bought an overkill psu, a 700w, and i ended up not upgrading so i'm kinda stuck with it now.

I see your point, I was looking at the Corsair HX650 but I thought for the extra £10 I might as well go for 750W.

I'd rather have the option later down the line to add another 780 then have to upgrade PSU as well.

cheers

System Spec

You buy a bronze power supply.. and you get 80% +... like  Corsair Enthusiast Series V2 750W

Some edits: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1it44

An i5 will perform just as well as an i7 for gaming.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Some edits: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1it44

An i5 will perform just as well as an i7 for gaming.

thanks for the comment.

I couldn't agree with you more, but I do a lot of 3D rendering hence why I'd like to have hyper threading.

System Spec

Let's not forget that the next generation games will be optimized to take advantage of multi-core CPUs, so if you're going for Intel, the i7 is more future proof.

thanks for the comment.

I couldn't agree with you more, but I do a lot of 3D rendering hence why I'd like to have hyper threading.

Ahh, then just switch out the cpu and add more ram: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1jl5U

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Let's not forget that the next generation games will be optimized to take advantage of multi-core CPUs, so if you're going for Intel, the i7 is more future proof.

Many games, while taking advantage of more cores, do not utilize hyperthreading.