Small form factor pc running hot?

Weirdybeardyman

I have never had or built a small form factor pc before today but after many hours of building and cable management the computer is complete.

The computer is in the Silverstone sugo sg13 with a Intel Pentium K Aniversary, being cooled by a front 140mm noctua a14 and a noctua nf-l9i. As I am unused to building small form factor cases I was a little suprised that CPU temps were around 55-60 with a stock fan curve. I am not sure if this is normal because of the poor airflow through the mess of cables or I have some kind of thermal problem due to mounting ECT. I would greatly appreciate any clarification or input.

Well, if this is idle, it could be bad airflow or a bad mount or both or maybe just high ambients?

Try remounting?

Otherwise, if this is load, you're doing fine.

Sig under construction.

I have never had or built a small form factor pc before today but after many hours of building and cable management the computer is complete.

The computer is in the Silverstone sugo sg13 with a Intel Pentium K Aniversary, being cooled by a front 140mm noctua a14 and a noctua nf-l9i. As I am unused to building small form factor cases I was a little suprised that CPU temps were around 55-60 with a stock fan curve. I am not sure if this is normal because of the poor airflow through the mess of cables or I have some kind of thermal problem due to mounting ECT. I would greatly appreciate any clarification or input.

most likely poor air circulation do you have any more fans that can help exhaust heat ?

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

is that 50-60 on load? because thats fine

Are these temps idle or under load?

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                                      RAM: 16gb kington hyperx predator                                                               Drives: 120GB kingston hyperx,1tb westerdigital caviar greeen

Motherboard: Asus Maximus hero vIII                  Graphics Card: geforce Titan xp                                                                                                                                     PSU:XFX 850w pro

Case: Coolermaster HafX                                     CPU Cooler:Undervolted sp120 pushpull H100i                   Deathadder black edition-filco majestouch ninja 2             Monitor:    3xAcer H236HL 

That's why having a single fan rad is great imo.

The cooler is tiny, and I know the temps are safe but it still seems a bit hot.

Well, if this is idle, it could be bad airflow or a bad mount or both or maybe just high ambients?

The ambient temp. isn't over 25c.

Try remounting?

Otherwise, if this is load, you're doing fine.

most likely poor air circulation do you have any more fans that can help exhaust heat ?

The case only supports a single intake fan in the front, also the cable managment is pretty bad and probably is affecting airflow pretty heavily but the psu is semi modular so there is the bare minimum of cables.

do you have exhaust fan/s?

on sff builds I would highly suggest an exhaust fan over a intake unless you have enough room for both. getting that hot air out of the case is most important.

edit- just looked at your case if you don't all ready have a exhaust fan ,definitely get one!

It probably would have been better for you to get a 140mm aio for that since you spent the money for noctua stuff. It could be partly due to the GPU. If you have a hotter card in there with a open exhaust cooler, that'll make your case hot. I had a cooler about the size of the stock Intel (just a little better) and I could get good load temps with my g3258 at 1.23ish volts iirc.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

on sff builds I would highly suggest an exhaust fan over a intake unless you have enough room for both. getting that hot air out of the case is most important.

edit- just looked at your case if you don't all ready have a exhaust fan ,definitely get one!

there is nowhere to mount an exhaust fan, only an intake at the front.

It probably would have been better for you to get a 140mm aio for that since you spent the money for noctua stuff. It could be partly due to the GPU. If you have a hotter card in there with a open exhaust cooler, that'll make your case hot. I had a cooler about the size of the stock Intel (just a little better) and I could get good load temps with my g3258 at 1.23ish volts iirc.

The way the card is positioned it is unlikely to effect the CPU area of the case tempwise and the temps are ~55 from boot.

This computer is for media light gaming for my dad so an aio seemed unjustified and the budget was tight.

sorry, I misunderstood you, so you would suggest an exhaust fan at the front over an intake?

what psu do you have?

do you have the psu fan on the over the cpu or sucking in air from the top of the case?

I have a corsair cx something positioned intaking air from outside the case through the grilles on the top of the case.

sorry, I misunderstood you, so you would suggest an exhaust fan at the front over an intake?

yes for sure 

you are just building up hot air in that case ,if you set it up as an exhaust it will pull cool air in from the side vent that is next to the cpu.

you could also flip the power supply so the fan is taking in air from the case

yes for sure

you are just building up hot air in that case ,if you set it up as an exhaust it will pull cool air in from the side vent that is next to the cpu.

Ok, thanks for the advice, hopefully it won't be too much of a bitch and the fan will come out without me having to remove any hardware and the rubber mounting gromets for the fan don't mind being reused.

you could also flip the power supply so the fan is taking in air from the case

Will the airflow be ok if the psu fan is directly above the cooler and they are blowing in opposing directions?

Will the airflow be ok if the psu fan is directly above the cooler and they are blowing in opposing directions?

never mind i read the posts again

i thought you had an aio

my bad :(

worth a shot but id wait to see what others say about it

I would try it without flipping the psu first, see how temps are.  if they are still bad try flipping the psu