Best Headphones under $100 (some limitations)

bcredeur97
Go to solution Solved by Fluffinator,

I just really dont a headset man. Ive heard from both tek syndicate and linus over many years that it is always better to get a pair of headphones (and get a mic if you need one). My PC350's at home are better than most headsets but they are said to still be rather lacking for music-listening and stuff. 

I think im going to get the superlux, but not sure.

Lots of different types, recently I have been getting into classical and jazz though lol. Decided to try it one day and kind of liked it so that'll be a trend for me lol. I do listen to a lot of christian music as well, but not always mainstream stuff. I just want something well-balanced and is very good for the price and convenient enough to use on the go with either my phone or laptop (A new 2015 rMBP, which I might review when I have the time lol) if I have to use an amp thats fine, just so long as my FiiO E6 can work with it.

ATH M40X, Sennheiser HD-280 PRO, AKG K 240 

Just want to know some great choices under $100. I'd prefer headphones, but IEM's are acceptable.

Main limitation is I want something good for on-the-go use. Something I can use with my phone or my laptop and get in and out of my bag quickly and something that looks neutral; don't want too much attention. I have a FiiO E6 if I need it however so anything under 150 ohms(I think) should be ok.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Hyper x clouds and Logitech G430's

sorry should have said no headsets. 

^^ 2000 posts. only me would use such a landmark for such a statement xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

sorry should have said no headsets. 

^^ 2000 posts. only me would use such a landmark for such a statement xD

Wooooo :D

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

I have 0 brand loyalty so anything goes, I just want the best quality sound under $100. A semi-open design would be desirable but I can put up with closed if I have to.

Spoiler

any opinions on the Superlux HD 668B ?

Spoiler

I would get the hyperx and just don't use the mic... It is detachable. The hyperx is a great headset and it is sooo comfy (I am speaking from experience - I have a pair) the only drawback (for you) is that they're closed. Anyway I highly recommend them

I would get the hyperx and just don't use the mic... It is detachable. The hyperx is a great headset and it is sooo comfy (I am speaking from experience - I have a pair) the only drawback (for you) is that they're closed. Anyway I highly recommend them

That would suck your basically paying for something you would never use, and they sorta sound bleh, compared to what you could get!

Also to the OP, what music you listen too?

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

I just really dont a headset man. Ive heard from both tek syndicate and linus over many years that it is always better to get a pair of headphones (and get a mic if you need one). My PC350's at home are better than most headsets but they are said to still be rather lacking for music-listening and stuff. 

That would suck your basically paying for something you would never use, and they sorta sound bleh, compared to what you could get!

Also to the OP, what music you listen too?

Lots of different types, recently I have been getting into classical and jazz though lol. Decided to try it one day and kind of liked it so that'll be a trend for me lol. I do listen to a lot of christian music as well, but not always mainstream stuff. I just want something well-balanced and is very good for the price and convenient enough to use on the go with either my phone or laptop (A new 2015 rMBP, which I might review when I have the time lol) if I have to use an amp thats fine, just so long as my FiiO E6 can work with it.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

so avoid the superlux? lol 

I hear the K240's have build quality issues so Im kind of iffy about buying them.

Pretty sure im going to full-on avoid closed. Ive had closed all my life and it's time to try something different. I have tried open (HD 600 and HD 650) and I loved it every time, so semi-open should work for me right (dont really want to be blasting music to everyone else)? 

Spoiler

so avoid the superlux? lol 

I hear the K240's have build quality issues so Im kind of iffy about buying them.

Pretty sure im going to full-on avoid closed. Ive had closed all my life and it's time to try something different. I have tried open (HD 600 and HD 650) and I loved it every time, so semi-open should work for me right (dont really want to be blasting music to everyone else)? 

Yeah.. if your going to be carrying them around full open won't be very good. I guess semi open would work.

Yeah.. if your going to be carrying them around full open won't be very good. I guess semi open would work.

K240's it is then I guess!

I'll look around and try to find them for a deal steal for a month or so lol

Spoiler

K240's it is then I guess!

I'll look around and try to find them for a deal steal for a month or so lol

Yeah, also I find closed fatiquing, if I wear my ATH-M50x's.. I feel like it clamps on my head and isn't as comfortable can only wear for a short time, I'm sure the M40x's are the same simply because there closed right?

Yeah, also I find closed fatiquing, if I wear my ATH-M50x's.. I feel like it clamps on my head and isn't as comfortable can only wear for a short time, I'm sure the M40x's are the same simply because there closed right?

closed/open just means whether the back of the earcups are sealed or open to not allow airflow(and outside sound) or allow it. Open also gives the benefit of a larger perceived soundstage (the #1 reason people buy open headphones). 

clamping force is a whole other topic lol, but yeah it can be important. Try putting your M50x's on a bunch of books (to where they are stretched pretty far, but not too far) for a few days and see if they loosen up a bit.

Spoiler

closed/open just means whether the back of the earcups are sealed or open to not allow airflow(and outside sound) or allow it. Open also gives the benefit of a larger perceived soundstage (the #1 reason people buy open headphones). 

clamping force is a whole other topic lol, but yeah it can be important. Try putting your M50x's on a bunch of books (to where they are stretched pretty far, but not too far) for a few days and see if they loosen up a bit.

I know about closed vs open it's just most closed have the unintended side affect of having that increased clamping force because most have passive noise cancellation.

I know about closed vs open it's just most closed have the unintended side affect of having that increased clamping force because most have passive noise cancellation.

oh I see what you're saying now, sorry! 

Makes sense, My PC350's arent that bad though surprisingly. The earpads have worn down though and my ears rub against the drivers sometimes though.

but goign along with what you're saying... I guess it just depends. But likely the M40X's are too hard on clamping force too (same manufacturer usually means a pattern)

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

audiophiles pls no hate k:

ATH M40x for just listening IMO

ATH M40X

Got the K240's in today. Listened to a few songs and I like them, but idk if semi-closed is closed enough lol

But oh well i already bought them so might as well use them, they sound great. Dont care for the design too much but its not terrible.  Thanks guys :)

Spoiler