cheapest, but still solid 500watt PSU! ;-)

mapegl
Go to solution Solved by mapegl,

Cooler Master GM are decent. Better then Corsair CX, but still nowhere near the quality of the EVGA GS.

So I bought the coolermaster. It was just the best deal. Only about 3 bucks more than the other suggested ones and modular. The evga ones are very nice but more in the price range for my actual gaming rig.

So I am building a really low budget PC from some used old parts and some that I got off ebay.

I still have a 6870 with an Arcitc Twin Turbo II, and for a total of 30 bucks I got an matx h61 board with a celeron 1620. I have an HDD laying around that I can use and my brother has an 8 gig kit of Kingston memory.....probably the most expensive thing that will be in the rig.

Anyways, I don't want to spend much on the PSU, BUT I also don't want anything that blows up my "new" PC. What budget PSU would you guys recommend?

I am thinking something in the 450-550 watts range, as stated above, not because this system will need it, but I want to reuse the PSU later while upgrading the secondary PC .

I have heard people say that Corsair's super cheap PSU are crap, but I just don't know.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

So I am building a really low budget PC from some used old parts and some that I got off ebay.

I still have a 6870 with an Arcitc Twin Turbo II, and for a total of 30 bucks I got an matx h61 board with a celeron 1620. I have an HDD laying around that I can use and my brother has an 8 gig kit of Kingston memory.....probably the most expensive thing that will be in the rig.

Anyways, I don't want to spend much on the PSU, BUT I also don't want anything that blows up my "new" PC. What budget PSU would you guys recommend?

I am thinking something in the 450-550 watts range, as stated above, not because this system will need it, but I want to reuse the PSU later while upgrading the secondary PC .

I have heard people say that Corsair's super cheap PSU are crap, but I just don't know.

Evga 500 watt 80+

Oh shoot! Was that offensive! (I don't care).

Cooler Master, Rosewell, Antec or Seasonic. Corsair PSU's are solid btw, I've never had a problem with one

If you want my attention, quote my post or I will not see it. I ignore builds that do not use PCPartPicker.

If I have solved/answered your question, please press "mark solved" to make it easier for the rest of the community find the answer

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Corsais CX500 psus have a pretty good reputation and a good price. They are also 80+ bronze and I wouldn't buy anything that isn't ^^

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yea I'm not a fan of the Corsair CX series. (High end corsairs are boss.  The CX series from corsair is personal opinion.  Some people like them some people don't.  While I don't care for them I don't believe there is anything inherently wrong with them) How cheap are you looking at?

EVGA: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220gs0550v1

I'd go with the EVGA GS psu if i were you. don't ever look at the psu as something to cheap out on and save money. this is the most important component in your build. it supplies electricity to all the sensitive components to your pc. looking for one as cheap as possible is not something you want to do. you want to make sure you get a quality one. you can get quality psus for around 80-100 dollars so don't go crazy. my recommendation is the EVGA GS since it is a damn fine well made modular power supply. but others that people have recommended would be good as well. same with the HCG 620M from antec, which is another solid choice.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

Ok, very nice recommendations so far.

Not sure about the CX series now, though I still don't know what is so bad about them....

What about the CoolerMaster G450M? Any experiences with that thing?

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

I'd go with the EVGA GS psu if i were you. don't ever look at the psu as something to cheap out on and save money. this is the most important component in your build. it supplies electricity to all the sensitive components to your pc. looking for one as cheap as possible is not something you want to do. you want to make sure you get a quality one. you can get quality psus for around 80-100 dollars so don't go crazy. my recommendation is the EVGA GS since it is a damn fine well made modular power supply. but others that people have recommended would be good as well. same with the HCG 620M from antec, which is another solid choice.

That's the reason why I asked around for advice on a "cheap" PSU,

I want to go as cheap as possible while still gettting a quality one, if that makes sense. ;-)

Corsair CX series are good PSU's.

That's the reason why I asked around for advice on a "cheap" PSU,

I want to go as cheap as possible while still gettting a quality one, if that makes sense. ;-)

it does. and i totally get that. i'd say get an antec hcg 620m or evga supernova gs 650w or 550w (stay away from the g1 though) and call it a day. or something from the corsair cx series. we could sit here listing decent power supplies all day but you only need one. and again, i wouldn't go any lower than the ones being recommended. also i wouldn't go with a 450w psu, as this would severely limit any future upgrades, especially as the capacitors age.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

What about the CoolerMaster G450M? Any experiences with that thing?

Cooler Master GM are decent. Better then Corsair CX, but still nowhere near the quality of the EVGA GS.

"Rawr XD"

So I bought the coolermaster. It was just the best deal. Only about 3 bucks more than the other suggested ones and modular. The evga ones are very nice but more in the price range for my actual gaming rig.