I think CD Project Red might be practicing sorcery

thewhitestig

Can someone please explain to me how the hell does The Witcher 3 run sooooo well? Can you see the PC in my  signature? In case you're reading this topic years later and I've changed it let me list the main components:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200, oc'd to 2,80Ghz - an ancient CPU from 2008
GPU: GTX 670 - a rather good video card by 2012's standards
System memory: 2x2GB 800mhz DDR2 ram

So here's the thing. The game runs so so good, unlike any other modern AAA game. I play at a mixture of High-Ultra settings and a few I've left off. I would say this is at least console parity if not a bit better. Getting around 35-45fps during regular open world gameplay. And here's a video demonstrating that:

I can't explain to myself how in the world does one of the best looking and largest games ever made:
1. Runs so good on this potato PC of mine.
2. Uses only about 1.3gb of vram on the settings I play on, 1.6 maxed out at 1080p
3. Uses only 2gb of system memory (3gb total, 1gb taken by essential windows tasks)

4. Has a size of only 22 GB

I want you to keep in mind that:
1. The total world area is about 140 square kilometers, as a comparison GTA V is only about 81
2. Other open world games of similar image quality and lesser size like GTA V, AC: Unity and Watch Dogs can use up to 6 gb of system ram and 3-5GB of vram at 1080p depending on AA settings. 
3. The consoles which have more memory, more processing power and low level access to the hardware are arguably running the game worse than I do. And the devs even complained that the consoles are holding them back. The only part in my PC that is better is the GPU which has 3.2 TFLOPs vs 1.3 and 1.8 in the consoles.  

So how in the world are they doing it? I am genuinely impressed. And very very confused. I think... No. I am convinced that CD Project Red's engine programmers are practicing witchcraft. They probably sacrificed a goat or something. 

My PC: CPU: Intel Core i3 3220, MB: ASUS P8P67 LE, GPU: Palit Jetstream GTX 670, RAM: 4GB 1333mhz DDR3, Storage: 750GB Hitachi, PSU: CoolerMaster G650M 80+ Bronze, Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, Case: Multirama, Display: Acer x229w 22" 1680x1050, Keyboard: Logitech K120, Mouse: Steelseries Kinzu v2, Sound: Logitech 2.1 system

dat core2quad yo. the core2 series are actually fairly capable processors.

and really, a 670 isnt *that* outdated that it should be considered a miracle games run on it well.

The game "runs so well" with Kepler you should be fine on medium.

Just turn hairworks off.

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

To be fair, some people might not consider 45fps "sooooo well".

Sure, of course, but I would argue that it's still better than consoles. 

And it's not really about the fps. I'm astonished by the low memory usage, be that ram, vram or even storage. Definitely some witchcraft going on there. And also the fact that it's not a CPU intensive game by any means. In every other modern AAA game I get a significant bottleneck where the GPU runs from anywhere between 35 and 70% depending on the game. Not here though. GPU runs at 98%.

My PC: CPU: Intel Core i3 3220, MB: ASUS P8P67 LE, GPU: Palit Jetstream GTX 670, RAM: 4GB 1333mhz DDR3, Storage: 750GB Hitachi, PSU: CoolerMaster G650M 80+ Bronze, Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, Case: Multirama, Display: Acer x229w 22" 1680x1050, Keyboard: Logitech K120, Mouse: Steelseries Kinzu v2, Sound: Logitech 2.1 system

Can someone please explain to me how the hell does The Witcher 3 run sooooo well? Can you see the PC in my  signature? In case you're reading this topic years later and I've changed it let me list the main components:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200, oc'd to 2,80Ghz - an ancient CPU from 2008

GPU: GTX 670 - a rather good video card by 2012's standards

System memory: 2x2GB 800mhz DDR2 ram

So here's the thing. The game runs so so good, unlike any other modern AAA game. I play at a mixture of High-Ultra settings and a few I've left off. I would say this is at least console parity if not a bit better. Getting around 35-45fps during regular open world gameplay. And here's a video demonstrating that:

I can't explain to myself how in the world does one of the best looking and largest games ever made:

1. Runs so good on this potato PC of mine.

2. Uses only about 1.3gb of vram on the settings I play on, 1.6 maxed out at 1080p

3. Uses only 2gb of system memory (3gb total, 1gb taken by essential windows tasks)

4. Has a size of only 22 GB

I want you to keep in mind that:

1. The total world area is about 140 square kilometers, as a comparison GTA V is only about 81

2. Other open world games of similar image quality and lesser size like GTA V, AC: Unity and Watch Dogs can use up to 6 gb of system ram and 3-5GB of vram at 1080p depending on AA settings. 

3. The consoles which have more memory, more processing power and low level access to the hardware are arguably running the game worse than I do. And the devs even complained that the consoles are holding them back. The only part in my PC that is better is the GPU which has 3.2 TFLOPs vs 1.3 and 1.8 in the consoles.  

So how in the world are they doing it? I am genuinely impressed. And very very confused. I think... No. I am convinced that CD Project Red's engine programmers are practicing witchcraft. They probably sacrificed a goat or something. 

I Want a HD TEXTURE PACK.

The game is still super awesome though , best most interesting sidequest I've played.

Jesus , this game needs one so bad , Triss face need lots of smoothing , thats the only thing that bothers me like hell.

Exactly. And yet you see more people arguing rather than playing.

I also run mixture of high and ultra settings with VSync ON and the game runs smooth like a butter. After almost 20h game play I haven't encountered single hiccup, stutter or tearing or crash.

Yeah right... the smoothest game on the block...

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

I'm far behind the minimum specs for the game but I'd really like to try it on this machine for the giggles. Huge fan of TW2. Would prefer to play it at my desk but I guess I can get it for PS4.

Really gettin mileage out of that C2Q OP. I'm impressed.

T.T i really want to play this game but cant because my gpu is so shite that it barely runs witcher 2 on low and even then i have to go to like 1280x720 to even get 40 fps and that is if im lucky . My gpu is Gtx 650 and cpu is i5-4670k oc 4,2

T.T i really want to play this game but cant because my gpu is so shite that it barely runs witcher 2 on low and even then i have to go to like 1280x720 to even get 40 fps and that is if im lucky . My gpu is Gtx 650 and cpu is i5-4670k oc 4,2

It's possible: