New CPU - i7 4790k vs i7 5820k - for streaming + recording 60fps

Hey guys, I enjoy streaming on twitch but would also like to record footage locally onto my computer at the same time, both in 60fps preferably. However when I play Smite and stream at 720p30fps on my i5 3570k atm there's severe lag dropping my frames below 40 so I can't even think about trying to record at the same time.

So I decided my CPU needed upgrading and I don't know whether the 4790k will be powerful enough to max my game settings and get 120+ fps while streaming at 720p60fps and recording 720pfps with dxtory at the same time or whether I'd need the 5820k.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance!

(Current specs:

gtx970

8gb ram

i5 3570k)

Hey guys, I enjoy streaming on twitch but would also like to record footage locally onto my computer at the same time, both in 60fps preferably. However when I play Smite and stream at 720p30fps on my i5 3570k atm there's severe lag dropping my frames below 40 so I can't even think about trying to record at the same time.

So I decided my CPU needed upgrading and I don't know whether the 4790k will be powerful enough to max my game settings and get 120+ fps while streaming at 720p60fps and recording 720pfps with dxtory at the same time or whether I'd need the 5820k.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance!

(Current specs:

gtx970

8gb ram

i5 3570k)

The 4790k is definitely enough for streaming, take that and save some money.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

The 4790k is definitely enough for streaming, take that and save some money.

But will it be enough to max smite 120fps (it's a suprisingly intensive game) while recording it locally at the same time?

Well the 5820k will require a mobo upgrade as it's socket 2011

If you want my attention, quote my post or I will not see it. I ignore builds that do not use PCPartPicker.

If I have solved/answered your question, please press "mark solved" to make it easier for the rest of the community find the answer

Well the 5820k will require a mobo upgrade as it's socket 2011

Yes I realise that but I'm pretty commited so if the 4790k couldn't handle it then I would go for the 5820k.

my i7 4790K (stock clocks) seems to do streaming just fine when playing minecraft (my goto game for cpu-intensive situations) with actually quite a bit of headroom even on medium encoding.

if you feel like going balls to the walls, you could get the i7 5820K and happily encode on slow without noticing much game fps impact

my i7 4790K (stock clocks) seems to do streaming just fine when playing minecraft (my goto game for cpu-intensive situations) with actually quite a bit of headroom even on medium encoding.

if you feel like going balls to the walls, you could get the i7 5820K and happily encode on slow without noticing much game fps impact

I wouldn't go to the 5820k unless I NEED it to stream and record at the same time.

I wouldn't go to the 5820k unless I NEED it to stream and record at the same time.

i'm pretty sure you'll have more advantage of tinkering with settings in OBS/Xsplit than you'll have with upgrading to the 5820K if slow encoding isnt a requirement

(some people just have little upload bandwidth, and need to squeeze it down as much as possible)

also look into intel quicksync, that may be a solution that doesnt cost anything.

i'm pretty sure you'll have more advantage of tinkering with settings in OBS/Xsplit than you'll have with upgrading to the 5820K if slow encoding isnt a requirement

(some people just have little upload bandwidth, and need to squeeze it down as much as possible)

also look into intel quicksync, that may be a solution that doesnt cost anything.

This is what I use atm, not sure if it's slow encoding atm or? http://gyazo.com/6cadd09423fe98f356d312d6b3753e29

This is what I use atm, not sure if it's slow encoding atm or? http://gyazo.com/6cadd09423fe98f356d312d6b3753e29

encoding profiles are under advanced, i personally can manage to squeeze 1080p30 into 1Mbps on medium (the setting is called x264 cpu preset) without much game impact, or a lot of pixelation. for higher speed games (like shooters) 2.5Mbps and medium should do just fine.

encoding profiles are under advanced, i personally can manage to squeeze 1080p30 into 1Mbps on medium (the setting is called x264 cpu preset) without much game impact, or a lot of pixelation. for higher speed games (like shooters) 2.5Mbps and medium should do just fine.

This stuff? http://gyazo.com/656c62a89844b72f5db11a351d6f35ea

yes, that stuff, you want to put that as slow as you can to have better quality in as little bandwidth as possible.

actually, i'm surprised you're have that much issues even on very fast encoding.

Smite is very intensive :'( I have enough upload speed overhead so I'm not worried about that, I just want it to look nice at a consistent fps.

Smite is very intensive :'( I have enough upload speed overhead so I'm not worried about that, I just want it to look nice at a consistent fps.

i'll do a performance test livestreaming 7-zip and valley to see how a 4790K copes with that, i'll be back with results in a bit.

so with the following settings on i7 4790K, 16GB system memory (stayed under 8 on actual usage) and a GTX970:

- 1080p30

- x264 medium profile

- valley benchmark on 1080p, all maxed out

- 7zip's built in benchmark crunching away on 4 threads.

i didnt drop a single frame, and valley still performed as usual.

(7zip benchmark is to simulate a cpu-intensive situation, like a cpu-bound game)

EDIT: i'm reading over this again, and i'm actually kinda blown away by how well this test went...

so with the following settings on i7 4790K, 16GB system memory (stayed under 8 on actual usage) and a GTX970:

- 1080p30

- x264 medium profile

- valley benchmark on 1080p, all maxed out

- 7zip's built in benchmark crunching away on 4 threads.

i didnt drop a single frame, and valley still performed as usual.

(7zip benchmark is to simulate a cpu-intensive situation, like a cpu-bound game)

EDIT: i'm reading over this again, and i'm actually kinda blown away by how well this test went...

This is quite interesting information and it certainly proves that the 4790k is a beefy CPU but how much of an impact do you think recording locally would have on a CPU while streaming. That's a lot of data transfer, so how would it affect the framerate of games. Also I'd probably need to upgrade from my stock cooler so which would you recommend (760w psu so nothing too big pls)

This is quite interesting information and it certainly proves that the 4790k is a beefy CPU but how much of an impact do you think recording locally would have on a CPU while streaming. That's a lot of data transfer, so how would it affect the framerate of games. Also I'd probably need to upgrade from my stock cooler so which would you recommend (760w psu so nothing too big pls)

i actually -always- record locally while streaming, to the same drive as my games run from, and it doesnt impact anything noticable. (WD black 2TB)

my cpu cooler is a be quiet dark rock advanced C1, that seems to differ in price A LOT from place to place...

its also MASSIVE.

picking a cooler comes down to personal preference, budget, design and case size.

i actually -always- record locally while streaming, to the same drive as my games run from, and it doesnt impact anything noticable. (WD black 2TB)

my cpu cooler is a be quiet dark rock advanced C1, that seems to differ in price A LOT from place to place...

its also MASSIVE.

picking a cooler comes down to personal preference, budget, design and case size.

Oh that's interesting, I'm just planning on running dxtory while streaming so I'll see how that goes. I have a full tower desktop so size won't affect me. You have this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Be-Quiet-Dark-Advanced-Cooler/dp/B004HZ88DU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432243044&sr=8-1&keywords=be+quiet+dark+rock+advanced+c1? Are there any other that perform similarly in terms of cooling it as this wont arrive at the same time as the cpu xD

I'll also need thermal paste, can you think of anything else I might need?

Oh that's interesting, I'm just planning on running dxtory while streaming so I'll see how that goes. I have a full tower desktop so size won't affect me. You have this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Be-Quiet-Dark-Advanced-Cooler/dp/B004HZ88DU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432243044&sr=8-1&keywords=be+quiet+dark+rock+advanced+c1? Are there any other that perform similarly in terms of cooling it as this wont arrive at the same time as the cpu xD

I'll also need thermal paste, can you think of anything else I might need?

tower coolers are basicly large blocks of copper and aluminium, they all perform very similar, and it comes down to little things to make them perform better.

you also need to make sure the 4790K will actually work in your motherboard, a quick google will give you all the info you need. (Z87 boards work, but some require a bios update)

tower coolers are basicly large blocks of copper and aluminium, they all perform very similar, and it comes down to little things to make them perform better.

you also need to make sure the 4790K will actually work in your motherboard, a quick google will give you all the info you need. (Z87 boards work, but some require a bios update)

Thank goodness I looked beforehand, my board is a gigabyte z77 d3h socket 1155. So it won't fit my current board right? I'd need to get a new board if I wanted it, so would it be worth getting a new board and the i7 5820k at the same time? If so what is a decent £150 ish board to get with the 5820k.

Thank goodness I looked beforehand, my board is a gigabyte z77 d3h socket 1155. So it won't fit my current board right? I'd need to get a new board if I wanted it, so would it be worth getting a new board and the i7 5820k at the same time? If so what is a decent £150 ish board to get with the 5820k.

thats an oversight on my part, i had in my head the 3XXX series were on 1150 as well, so yes, you'll need a new mobo.

i'll price out two builds for you, to make a comparison between the two options, counting in the mobo. (note you'll also need to upgrade to DDR4 for the 5820K)

thats an oversight on my part, i had in my head the 3XXX series were on 1150 as well, so yes, you'll need a new mobo.

i'll price out two builds for you, to make a comparison between the two options, counting in the mobo. (note you'll also need to upgrade to DDR4 for the 5820K)

Thanks a bunch! Yeah I thought it was a 1150 board :/ DDR4 is real expensive atm, but a 5820k would be a nice bump, but I guess I'd be able to afford if the mobo cpu and ram was roughly < 650.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Zy4XYJ

this is what an upgrade to 4790K with a big cooler would cost.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XNJFhM

this is the 5820K with an upgrade to 16GB RAM. (i like vengeance LP, because it fits under any cooler you can dream of)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cXzVf7

this is the 5820K with 8GB DDR4 RAM (sadly, the vengeance LPX didnt have a price here)