How can I install a sata3 ssd(6gb/s) on a sata2(3gb/s) system?

I brought a new ssd for my alienware m14x. When I try to install it, my computer does not recognize the hard drive at all. It seems like the bio for my computer limited the sata 3 function. Is it possible for me to use this ssd? the ssd is bx100 from crucial. If it does not work on m14x, where can I buy a ssd that is sata 2?

what do you mean it doesn't recognize it?

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

SATA ports are fully compatible with each other, the thing is that the speed will be capped on the "worst" component. The port is probably not the culprit here.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Just cause your system only runs Sata 3G doesn't mean a Sata 6G drive won't work, it's backwards compatible.

Either, your doing some thing else wrong or the drive is duff.

|CPU| i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz |Motherboard| Asus Z87 MAXIMUS VI HERO |RAM| Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866MHz |GPU| EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB

|HD| 256GB SSD 850 PRO |Sound| Creative Sound Blaster Z High Performance |Case| NZXT Phantom 410 |OS| Windows 10 x64

if the port is sata 2, all that should happen is the ssd runs slower than normal. 

Make sure the drive works by putting it in another system/ make sure both ends of the sata port are properly connected.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

• 2 months later...

I brought a new ssd for my alienware m14x. When I try to install it, my computer does not recognize the hard drive at all. It seems like the bio for my computer limited the sata 3 function. Is it possible for me to use this ssd? the ssd is bx100 from crucial. If it does not work on m14x, where can I buy a ssd that is sata 2?

M14x R1? R2? R3? 

Which BIOS version are you on right now ? Maybe updating it could get your SSD recognized. 

|| M14x R1 || i5 2430M || GT555M - 3GB || 16GB Corsair Vengance || 256GB EVO PRO SSD || 500 GB HDD ||

Hey there LazySoda,

All SATA storage drives are backwards compatible with the older SATA buses so yuo shouldn't be having problems. Check if the drives is recognized properly in the BIOS, Device Manager and Disk Management. Also check if the drive is recognized on other computers so you can rule it out as the cause of the problem. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/