Is it necessary to have 2 pumps in a system?

Hi there everyone,

I was wondering... Do you need 2 pumps to have a huge loop cooling the RAM, CPU, and GPU or is just one ok? I am wondering because I am planning to build a new water cooled rig soon and it will feature the Corsair Obsidian 900D, and it may be a bit difficult to reach the bottom rad to the reservoir. Can someone help me??

Thanks,

terrytek

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

How many GPUs and how many Radiators?

Seems like this might be one of those rare cases where two pumps might not be such a bad idea.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

One is probably fine. A 2nd one might help if you have like 5 blocks and 3 rads or if you want redundancy in case of one failing. But you should notice your CPU throttle or the system shut down if a pump fails and CPU temps get too hot. You'd have to be unlucky to have a pump fail and then lead to damaged components.

1 d5 will be enough the only real reason to have 2 pumps would be if you were doing a dual loop which in my opinion is just for aesthetics really.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

How many GPUs and how many Radiators?

Seems like this might be one of those rare cases where two pumps might not be such a bad idea.

OK i will start with one GTX780 and in the future i plan to SLI it. I plan to cool the RAM and CPU as well. I will have 1 480mm rad on bottom, 1 140mm rad in the rear, and does the 900D allow placement of 3 120mm fans on top? If so, i was going to put one there as well.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

why not build the pc with one pump......leave room for another when you build it.....and if you feel you need it then just add another......wouldnt that be the best course of action? also a good powerful single pump should be all you really need i would think.....butwith the amount of rads and blocks your gonna have 2 may not be such a bad idea....

-Anubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

why not build the pc with one pump......leave room for another when you build it.....and if you feel you need it then just add another......wouldnt that be the best course of action? also a good powerful single pump should be all you really need i would think.....butwith the amount of rads and blocks your gonna have 2 may not be such a bad idea....

-Anubikai

OK, then, how powerful is the Swiftech MCP655 then? If it flows over, let's say, 60 gph, then i think i will stick to just one.

OK i will start with one GTX780 and in the future i plan to SLI it. I plan to cool the RAM and CPU as well. I will have 1 480mm rad on bottom, 1 140mm rad in the rear, and does the 900D allow placement of 3 120mm fans on top? If so, i was going to put one there as well.

Please leave the 140mm rad away. Put a 360/420 on the top, a 480 in the bot (you could actually but another 240 in the bot) and you could actually put a 240 in the front. But leave the 140 away.

Yes it does.

And one pump would be enough.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Please leave the 140mm rad away. Put a 360/420 on the top, a 480 in the bot (you could actually but another 240 in the bot) and you could actually put a 240 in the front. But leave the 140 away.

OK, but one question... Why stay away from the rear 140mm rad?

OK, but one question... Why stay away from the rear 140mm rad?

It looks ugly and you don't need it.

It looks ugly and you don't need it.

It depends on your plan/theme.

OK, another question. Is the EK XT and XTC series rads aluminum or copper? I couldn't find any info about the rads.

A single Corsair AF140 with a nice coloured ring should look nicer.

A single Corsair AF140 with a nice coloured ring should look nicer.

Really? I was thinking something more silent, like the Enermax T.B Silent fans instead.

Really? I was thinking something more silent, like the Enermax T.B Silent fans instead.

This.

This.

Why?

It was just an example because of the looks. Like look at this picture. More tubing/fitings and at least 30mm more radiator or fan on that side are so bulky.

It's up to you but your case has so much space everywhere else...

Why?

You can configure it do it doesn't even spin until you reach extreme temps. That way you get positive pressure inside your case and the fans looks amazing when it doesn't spin (as in the blades) in comparison to any other fan..

You can configure it do it doesn't even spin until you reach extreme temps. That way you get positive pressure inside your case and the fans looks amazing when it doesn't spin (as in the blades) in comparison to any other fan..

Yeah, i admit, they do look nice. Another thing, does anyone know where i can get an Asus Maximus VI Extreme motherboard block?

Yeah, i admit, they do look nice. Another thing, does anyone know where i can get an Asus Maximus VI Extreme motherboard block?

EK recently released one. Don't know if its in shops yet.

EK recently released one. Don't know if its in shops yet.

Crap, all i saw was for the crappy Gigabyte Z87-OC.

Are you sure about that board? The reviews from TTL weren't that good.

Are you sure about that board? The reviews from TTL weren't that good.

TTL? Who is that? And, yes, i am sure about this board. It goes perfectly with my theme and it has an awesome and easy overclocking tool.

Do you have a performance review of the Enermax fans somewhere? I'm not so happy with my SP120 QE... They make bad noises when I undervolt them (I guess they're not supposed to run that low or rather at certain levels - the noises are only at certain levels).

And where it these fans?

http://www.amazon.de/Enermax-UCTB12-Twisterbearing-Batwing-L%C3%BCfter-HALO-Rahmen/dp/B003IB2HYA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1374166400&sr=8-3&keywords=Enermax+T.B.+Silent

http://www.amazon.de/Enermax-UCTB12P-Silence-Batwing-L%C3%BCfter-HALO-Rahmen/dp/B004RJ6K4A/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1374166400&sr=8-6&keywords=Enermax+T.B.+Silent

http://www.amazon.de/Enermax-UCTB12A-Silence-Batwing-L%C3%BCfter-HALO-Rahmen/dp/B004RJ8DUO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1374166400&sr=8-7&keywords=Enermax+T.B.+Silent

They are really cheap. But they certainly look nice.