CPU and GPU when what?

mixup

For Gaming it is pretty clear that a good cpu (i5-4760K) and the best possible GPU (GTX980(ti)) is requierd. But when it comes to Workstation's, servers and rendering I don't understand when two xeon's (18 cores each) are better than multiple graphics cards. Would 4 amd w9000 cards with two 18 core xeons be good for an Open GL application like cinema 4d be? or would be one i7 with those card's alone be enough? Or could this amount of cores work without a card well?

Please explain me the most inportant hardware in workstations with scenario examples because I'd like to learn more about this topic.

Why did the console player cross the road?......To render the building on the other side.

The perfect system is one with no users.

They where making a render farm which is nearly all done on the cpu, hence the 2 xeons and they put to titan X's in there aswell.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

For Gaming it is pretty clear that a good cpu (i5-4760K) and the best possible GPU (GTX980(ti)) is requierd. But when it comes to Workstation's, servers and rendering I don't understand when two xeon's (18 cores each) are better than multiple graphics cards. Would 4 amd w9000 cards with two 18 core xeons be good for an Open GL application like cinema 4d be? or would be one i7 with those card's alone be enough? Or could this amount of cores work without a card well?

Please explain me the most inportant hardware in workstations with scenario examples because I'd like to learn more about this topic.

Its dependent on the rendering software. Most programs use the CPU to render the frames so in this way the more CPU cores you have the more the render has to tell what to do.

But some programs (or settings in programs) can use the GPU to help accelerate rendering, in this case you would want more GPU horsepower.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

As said by Altecice it depends on the program that are you using, In Sony Vegas for example, the gpu can help render overlays like text or moving images but stuff like green screen, video cutting and scaling, alpha(transparency) and encoding are done by cpu.