copying data through LAN?

19_blackie_73
Go to solution Solved by 0x550x42,

YOU DON'T NEED ANYTHING OTHER THAN A LAN CABLE !! Follow the steps below

Do steps 1~5 on both systems BEFORE connecting them via the LAN cable

Disconnect any internet connections on both systems. (You may use airplane mode on both of them)

1. Go to "Control Panel >> Network and Internet >> Network Connections"

2. Now right click on "Ethernet" and go to "properties"

3. Under "Networking" tab, look for "Internet Protocol v4" and double click on that to go to properties.

4. Click on "Use the following IP address" and now you have to allocate 2 different IP addresses. On first system use "192.168.1.2" and on second use "192.168.1.3". For the sub-net address just click on the blank field and it will be automatically filled up. Leave the default gateway field blank.

5. Save the settings and connect the systems via the LAN cable.

6. Go to start and type "network" and open it.

7. In the network window, click on the address bar and type "\\192.168.1.2" or "\\192.168.1.3" (this is the addresss of the other system than the one you are working right now)

8. Now you will be asked to provide the username and password for the system. Go ahead and fill in the details and press enter.

You will now be able to access the other system. Enjoy !! :D

Is it possible to send data between two pcs over a normal lan cable? Is it possible without any special software?

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

I know for sure that mouse without borders makes it pretty easy due to drag and drop, without software I don't know

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Is it possible to send data between two pcs over a normal lan cable? Is it possible without any special software?

Not directly through a cable that you probably already own. It is possible through one of 2 ways:

1. PC1 -> cable -> switch/router -> cable -> PC2

2. PC1 -> crossover cable -> PC2

If you do not have a crossover cable, you need to put a router or switch between the two PCs as the DATA and Recieve lines of teh RJ45 have to be switched (reversed) to allow both units to speak properly. Wither either setup, you can directly access data on either PC using networked drives in Windows or Linux (unsure of OSx).

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

well if your talking about plugging a lan/ethernet cord in to both pc`s rj45/ethernet ports then yes but that's allot of hassle when you could just use a router or a gigabit switch to do it .

And from there you can create shared folders and on the other pc enter the data pc ip and access the data like that you don't even need a internet connection .

I can go more in depth on how to do this if you need me to.

I  have GameServer`s And VOIP servers the only price is that you have fun on them. 

Not directly through a cable that you probably already own. It is possible through one of 2 ways:

If you do not have a crossover cable, you need to put a router or switch between the two PCs as the DATA and Recieve lines of teh RJ45 have to be switched (reversed) to allow both units to speak properly. Wither either setup, you can directly access data on either PC using networked drives in Windows or Linux (unsure of OSx).

OSX has something but its proprietary and wont talk to windows. not that i think thats going to be a problem here. linux can talk to it but its just better to have it run samba so its compatible with windows and linux  easily 

I  have GameServer`s And VOIP servers the only price is that you have fun on them. 

OSX has something but its proprietary and wont talk to windows. not that i think thats going to be a problem here. linux can talk to it but its just better to have it run samba so its compatible with windows and linux  easily 

Well, you can easily just mount a hard drive over the network in both Linux and Windows, so that would be what I would do (assuming he has hardware to make it happen).  OSx, I find to be a pain in the arse for things like this (networking in general), but that is for a different thread/forum.

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

Needs to be behind a router.. A switch can't provide IP address required for inter-network communication between devices. The switch would still be required to be hooked up to a router. Unless you use 2 Crossover cables, in that case you might as well direct connect the 2 computers with 1 crossover cable. :P  OSX is a heavily modified version of UNIX, the concept works with OSX

OSX supports SAMBA which is what Windows and Linux uses. No conflicts there.

Well, you can easily just mount a hard drive over the network in both Linux and Windows, so that would be what I would do (assuming he has hardware to make it happen).  OSx, I find to be a pain in the arse for things like this (networking in general), but that is for a different thread/forum.

It's not hard to mount the drive on OSX, I believe it's under Go > Connect to server > SMB://servername.  Enter username and credentials and you're GTG

The answer to the OP's question has already been answered, you can do that with a Crossover cable or if it's within a network you can connect via IP Address and access the shared files from there.

:)

Needs to be behind a router.. A switch can't provide IP address required for inter-network communication between devices. The switch would still be required to be hooked up to a router. Unless you use 2 Crossover cables, in that case you might as well direct connect the 2 computers with 1 crossover cable. :P  OSX is a heavily modified version of UNIX, the concept works with OSX

It can be accomplished with a switch, but one of the computers has to be set up as the router, which with Linux it is not that difficult to pull off. The switch then becomes just a switch again, connecting teh cables together like a bridge.

(I know this works, as it is how I have my systems set up. Just using teh desktop as a router and the switch to connect normal patch cables to the systems needing data).

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

OSX supports SAMBA which is what Windows and Linux uses. No conflicts there.

yea i said that  :huh:

It can be accomplished with a switch, but one of the computers has to be set up as the router, which with Linux it is not that difficult to pull off. The switch then becomes just a switch again, connecting teh cables together like a bridge.

(I know this works, as it is how I have my systems set up. Just using teh desktop as a router and the switch to connect normal patch cables to the systems needing data).

And i second this because this is also how i have my network setup. all you need is one of the pc to act as a DHCP server to give out internal ips

But if you're setting up the computer to act as a router, wouldn't the NIC present in the system act as the switch port thus eliminating the need for an external switch?

yea i said that  :huh:

Sorry, I thought you weren't sure since you said "i don't think that's going to be a problem.) :P

But if you're setting up the computer to act as a router, wouldn't the NIC present in the system act as the switch port thus eliminating the need for an external switch?

Sorry, I thought you weren't sure since you said "i don't think that's going to be a problem.) :P

No, it would not, unless you have a crossover cable, thus elemenating the need to set up a DHCP router on the computer. The switch converts the signal coming in, basically taking the send signal from one cable and sending it to the recieve line on teh second (can do so with more than one connection too). You need a switch with a DHCP router, or 2 computers with a crossover cable.

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Oh no i ment i don't thing its going to be a problem because i think hes using 2 windows pc`s

Disconnect any internet connections on both systems. (You may use airplane mode on both of them)

3. Under "Networking" tab, look for "Internet Protocol v4" and double click on that to go to properties.

4. Click on "Use the following IP address" and now you have to allocate 2 different IP addresses. On first system use "192.168.1.2" and on second use "192.168.1.3". For the sub-net address just click on the blank field and it will be automatically filled up. Leave the default gateway field blank.

7. In the network window, click on the address bar and type "\\192.168.1.2" or "\\192.168.1.3" (this is the addresss of the other system than the one you are working right now)

8. Now you will be asked to provide the username and password for the system. Go ahead and fill in the details and press enter.

There's always a way...

4. Click on "Use the following IP address" and now you have to allocate 2 different IP addresses. On first system use "192.168.1.2" and on second use "192.168.1.3"

THIS is a solution I was looking for, thanks a lot, I'll try it within the next days

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

THIS is a solution I was looking for, thanks a lot, I'll try it within the next days

Best of luck! And remember to change those IPv4 setting back to the default after you are done. Because later on if you would like to access internet on any of those systems, then you will be needing the defaults (automatic IP allocation). And yes, remember to mark the post as "Answer" if it helps.

There's always a way...

Nice layed out explanation.