nzxt s340 airflow for most positive pressure and less dust build up

snarkycoder

I just bought this case for a new build and I am super new to this... :D 
What do you guys think about this airflow configuration?
Having the fan from top(with a dust filter) as intake as well as the 2 front ones

Do you think that having the top fan as intake would conflict with the cpu 2 fan cooler which is pushing air to the rear exhaust?
The much positive pressure the better right? :unsure:

Thanks!

post-229560-0-13834900-1431952597_thumb.

CPU: Intel i7 4790 Quad-Core (8 threads) 3.6GHz - 4.0GHz (Turbo) | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87  | RAM: HyperX 16Gb(2x8Gb) 1866MHz | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Case: NZXT S340 | CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7 | Case Fans:  NZXT FN V2 120mm x2, Rosewill Hyperborea 140mm x2 | PSU: Seasonic S12G 550 | Lighting: Darkside RGB LED Strip SSD: Samsung 850 EVO | Monitor: ASUS PB258Q | OS: Ubuntu 14.04 

Personally I think you would only need two intakes in the front and a single exhaust in the back.

But the current set up you have now , it will work...but then you have air from the top pushing the airflow downwards so....I am not sure how optimal that is

But dust will always somehow make it into your system no matter what so just keep that in mind

Remove top fan, keep dust filter they're, keep everything else

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Seems fine.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yeah, don't use a top fan in this case, but do add a filter. I recommend the SilverStone FF143 for the task. I'd also suggest a slow, quiet fan with lower static pressure for the exhaust and good static pressure fans for the intakes.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

Yeah, don't use a top fan in this case, but do add a filter. I recommend the SilverStone FF143 for the task. I'd also suggest a slow, quiet fan with lower static pressure for the exhaust and good static pressure fans for the intakes.

How would I get a slow fan for the exhaust?

Could you recommend me a good static pressure fan for intake that is not a noctua brand?

Thanks

CPU: Intel i7 4790 Quad-Core (8 threads) 3.6GHz - 4.0GHz (Turbo) | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87  | RAM: HyperX 16Gb(2x8Gb) 1866MHz | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Case: NZXT S340 | CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7 | Case Fans:  NZXT FN V2 120mm x2, Rosewill Hyperborea 140mm x2 | PSU: Seasonic S12G 550 | Lighting: Darkside RGB LED Strip SSD: Samsung 850 EVO | Monitor: ASUS PB258Q | OS: Ubuntu 14.04 

be quiet! Silent Wings 2 fans would be a great choice. Other options include the Phanteks PH-F140SP, BitFenix Spectre Pro, Nanoxia Deep Silence series, Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro series, the Swiftech Helix fans, or, if you don't mind the LEDs, the Corsair SP140s. You can use the motherboard to control the speed of the exhaust or you can use in-line resistors. Since you don't like Noctua, a good option would be one of the slower Gentle Typhoons, such as the AP-12.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

Why force hot air downward into the chassis?  Use thermodynamics to your advantage.

So, rather than filter a top intake, make that an unfiltered exhaust and convert the rear fan into a filtered intake.

That way it feeds fresh air to the CPU cooler (aim that upwards), the front fans maintain positive pressure, and the top fan exhausts the heated air.

I have a Thermaltake V51 set up similar and it works very nicely, most of the time the chassis fans are running at 40%, and they only ramp up under very heavy loads.

So, rather than filter a top intake, make that an unfiltered exhaust and convert the rear fan into a filtered intake.

That way it feeds fresh air to the CPU cooler (aim that upwards), the front fans maintain positive pressure, and the top fan exhausts the heated air.

I have a Thermaltake V51 set up similar and it works very nicely, most of the time the chassis fans are running at 40%, and they only ramp up under very heavy loads.

Also not a bad idea

Why force hot air downward into the chassis?  Use thermodynamics to your advantage.

There shouldn't be any hot air above the case unless there's a heater there. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

There shouldn't be any hot air above the case unless there's a heater there. )

Sorry for being unclear, I was referring to hot air within the chassis (that not vented by the GPU, from the motherboard, the CPU cooler, etc) being driven downward, and then having to re-circulate in order to be exhausted.  All that heat naturally wants to rise, top venting takes advantage of that tendency.

So... since we are moving hot air to the top exhaust.

Would it be better if I use Closed PCI Slot Covers instead of those vented covers that come with the case?

post-229560-0-65712200-1432094753.jpg

If it doesn't make a difference, at least there would be less dust ... ?

I have the exact same fan setup and it works fine for me.

Build: CPU: i7-4790k @4.4 GHz 1.2v | GPU: Sapphire R9 380 Nitro | Memory: 16GB Evga SSC | Storage: 250GB 850 Evo, 1 TB Toshiba HDD | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7  | Cooling: Aigo T120 RGB | Case: NZXT S340 | PSU: Antec HCG 520w | OS: Windows 10 | Keyboard: Corsair K70, Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Logitech G600 | Monitor: LG 27UD58-B | Headset: Audio-Technica M40x w/ Modmic and Bravo Audio V2 Tube Amplifier 

Sorry for being unclear, I was referring to hot air within the chassis (that not vented by the GPU, from the motherboard, the CPU cooler, etc) being driven downward, and then having to re-circulate in order to be exhausted.  All that heat naturally wants to rise, top venting takes advantage of that tendency.

Heat rising is negligible in a case when there's any active airflow.

Balance air pressure will be good too with slightly higher intake. You have way too much intake where the hot air will keep circulating inside. I have the same case I had tried all sorts of combination. For me, I have single 120mm radiator at bottom front and a 140mm at top front. One 140mm exhaust on top as hot air rises. And it is already enough.

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3