Titan x

#Banana

So I'm on the verge of buying a titan x today. My plan is to buy the super clocked edition. Yet the only real thing it offers is a better stable base clock. that doesn't mean i can over clock it more than a stock titan x. if you were in my position which would you buy?

Also would a Titan X be able to run a Acer XB280HK; their 4k display and a 1080p display? my plan is one display or gaming and one for whatever else. i still want to run my games on max settings too. Otherwise ill just go with a 1440p with gsync

Here is where I would keep my frolics if I had any.

not even a Titan X can power the latest games on 4K (max settings). Stick to 1440p if you want better visuals over more pixels.

Personally I dont like 4K, its has alot of teething problems that dont seem to be getting fixed. For example UI and text scaling (being too small).

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

not even a Titan X can power the latest games on 4K (max settings). Stick to 1440p if you want better visuals over more pixels.

^^ Pretty much this :)

I saw a benchmark and games like BF4, Metro Last Light and such got only 40fps average on 4K with a Titan X

sigh.. not this again and again and again..

a single titan x will max out any game at 4k.. and get higher than 60fps.

all these benchmarks are done with AA carried to the teeth which is pointless and not needed at 4k..

you don't need half the bells and whistles at 4k that you do to make 1080p look good. mesh quality, post processing, shader details ect.. all wasted gpu power.

i have an xb280hk and a gtx 770..i play every game at 4k on either medium or high settings.

anyone who says 4k is too demanding and you need more than a titan x is an idiot and or someone who doesn't own a 4k monitor..

trust me op a titan x will be perfect for 4k gaming. you can crank everything to max settings, just turn off AA as its not needed, and if it is a super poorly optimised game just lower shader details and or post processing.

none of these settings will impact visuals.

and either way if all the bs people spout about 4k being too hard to run being true.. 4k high settings is still a million times better looking that 1440p ultra.

and just to put it in perspective I average 65fps on GTA V with a 2gb 770 on all high settings.. I think a 12gb titan can manage much much better.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

all these benchmarks are done with AA carried to the teeth which is pointless and not needed at 4k..

you don't need half the bells and whistles at 4k that you do to make 1080p look good. mesh quality, post processing, shader details ect.. all wasted gpu power.

i have an xb280hk and a gtx 770..i play every game at 4k on either medium or high settings.

anyone who says 4k is too demanding and you need more than a titan x is an idiot and or someone who doesn't own a 4k monitor..

trust me op a titan x will be perfect for 4k gaming. you can crank everything to max settings, just turn off AA as its not needed, and if it is a super poorly optimised game just lower shader details and or post processing.

and either way if all the bs people spout about 4k being too hard to run being true.. 4k high settings is still a million times better looking that 1440p ultra.

and just to put it in perspective I average 65fps on GTA V with a 2gb 770 on all high settings.. I think a 12gb titan can manage much much better.

Intresting, I was wondering if this was the case. Using things like MSAA/AA a that resolution is incredibly taxing on GPU and VRAM usage. Would be nice to see some 4K benchmarks without them. 

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Intresting, I was wondering if this was the case. Using things like MSAA/AA a that resolution is incredibly taxing on GPU and VRAM usage. Would be nice to see some 4K benchmarks without them.

also what people on this forum fail to realise is that a game is actually playable if all the settings aren't all on max. the game still runs lol and is still an amazing experience in 4k.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

also what people on this forum fail to realise is that a game is actually playable if all the settings aren't all on max. the game still runs lol and is still an amazing experience in 4k.

Yup I agree but people want fancy graphics over gameplay it seems :P

Yup I agree but people want fancy graphics over gameplay it seems :P

4k high settings piddles all over 1440p ultra with all the bells and whistles :P 

Personally I dont like 4K, its has alot of teething problems that dont seem to be getting fixed. For example UI and text scaling (being too small).

I agree with this panel resolution is ahead of gpu horse power right now. I do wonder about 1440p surround with center 21:9 left and right 16:9

So I'm on the verge of buying a titan x today. My plan is to buy the super clocked edition. Yet the only real thing it offers is a better stable base clock. that doesn't mean i can over clock it more than a stock titan x. if you were in my position which would you buy?

Also would a Titan X be able to run a Acer XB280HK; their 4k display and a 1080p display? my plan is one display or gaming and one for whatever else. i still want to run my games on max settings too. Otherwise ill just go with a 1440p with gsync

I went with Titan X sli with Asus Rog Swift. Congrats on your choice. I have a sc Titan X and Titan X because they would not allow me to buy Titan X two times at the time lol.

My Titan X will be arriving today and I think it will be sick as fuck with my Asus ROG Swift. 

Yeah another Titan X/Asus Rog Swift buddy. Congrats on the Titan X. I also have that same setup but I have SLI Titan X.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

My Titan X will be arriving today and I think it will be sick as fuck with my Asus ROG Swift.

What version did you get?

I too would stick with the 144Hz monitors due to them being smoother and you will get more fps. Also get the IPS because the TN panels colors are washed out.

What version did you get?

EVGA! Playing the Witcher 3 today and it looks insane. 

I too want to get the Titan X because the 980ti will be nothing more than a gimped version of the Titan X.

Everything you said is wrong. You are running the equivalent 3/4 of a 4K display. How many Titan Xs do you need for 1080p surrount?

I agree with this panel resolution is ahead of gpu horse power right now. I do wonder about 1440p surround with center 21:9 left and right 16:9

That setup is much more difficult to run than 4K and has lower pixel density so won't look as good. You can run basically everything at 50-60 fps at ultra or very high with two 970s or a 295X2. A Titan X will perform marginally better than either of these.

^^ Pretty much this :)

I saw a benchmark and games like BF4, Metro Last Light and such got only 40fps average on 4K with a Titan X

Because it was a benchmark. The whole point of benchmarks is to pile on things like MSAA that are unnecessary at 4K because you're trying to differentiate between similar tier hardware.

Show us a picture of your setup.

I too want to get the Titan X because the 980ti will be nothing more than a gimped version of the Titan X.

Its based on a different chipset to the titan so it's not gimped.

titan uses a gm200 400 architecture where as the 980ti will use a gm200 200 variant.

I too would stick with the 144Hz monitors due to them being smoother and you will get more fps. Also get the IPS because the TN panels colors are washed out.

Actually the ROG swift is very very nice in terms of color reproduction, it's very close in terms of colors to my PB278Q (an IPS 1440p monitor) 

Just because it's TN doesn't mean it's bad. 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Actually the ROG swift is very very nice in terms of color reproduction, it's very close in terms of colors to my PB278Q (an IPS 1440p monitor)

Just because it's TN doesn't mean it's bad.

Ooooh, i totally was not aware of that, well then i guess the Swift will be my next monitor then...thx.

Everything you said is wrong. You are running the equivalent 3/4 of a 4K display. How many Titan Xs do you need for 1080p surrount?

For game like GTA I cant run it with everything 'high' as the OP said with two 290x's (970/980 evq in most games). So if I cant do those things at my GPU horsepower levels at 3/4 4K then what will adding the last 1/4th do to that? Only make it worse.

I will assume OP want to play W3, GL doing that at 4k with everything 'high' like the OP wants. For this exact reason I said go for 1440p. 

For game like GTA I cant run it with everything 'high' as the OP said with two 290x's (970/980 evq in most games). So if I cant do those things at my GPU horsepower levels at 3/4 4K then what will adding the last 1/4th do to that? Only make it worse.

I will assume OP want to play W3, GL doing that at 4k with everything 'high' like the OP wants. For this exact reason I said go for 1440p. 

If you're only going to cherry pick the few games that are renouned for having ridonkulously high settings available then obviously you're going to be wanting multiple Titan Xs. But if you look at the cross section of all games available, then 4K is fine.

Thanks man ill get myself a xb280hk!

If you're only going to cherry pick the few games that are renouned for having ridonkulously high settings available then obviously you're going to be wanting multiple Titan Xs. But if you look at the cross section of all games available, then 4K is fine.

i have to admit im not a huge gamer, just a tech geek who loves  a few games. But by golly i can't wait to watch a 4k movie on this!

i have to admit im not a huge gamer, just a tech geek who loves  a few games. But by golly i can't wait to watch a 4k movie on this!

Anything with HDMI 2.0 or DP 1.2 can do that :)