Skratch PC case v2

Abel225

Hey guys!

A few weeks ago I posted my first design for my new scratch case. I realized some flaws that i couldn't, didn't want to fix. So I redesigned the case. This time going for a bit better look.

Any suggestion would help a lot!

Thanks!

post-49290-0-07734500-1431885337.jpg

post-49290-0-94259000-1431885339.jpg

Intel core I5 4460, Gigabyte H97M-HD3, Gigabyte gtx 760, 8 GB corsair value ram, Thermaltake core v21, Thermaltake Smart 630W PSU

Alcatel OneTouch D5... IT WORKS!!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BxMjTW  

this looks sick

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

What program did you use to make this outline? This case also looks great btw, good design. I'm thinking of doing a custom case myself but much larger.

where does the psu go ?

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

What program did you use to make this outline? This case also looks great btw, good design. I'm thinking of doing a custom case myself but much larger.

Skatchup... Altough sadly it is not free anymore... :(

Intel core I5 4460, Gigabyte H97M-HD3, Gigabyte gtx 760, 8 GB corsair value ram, Thermaltake core v21, Thermaltake Smart 630W PSU

where does the psu go ?

It goes under the SSD like this. It will have cutouts for airflow, and 1cm tall feet.

post-49290-0-57745000-1432140953.jpg

I designed the frame and all the mountaing hardware. Next week I'll go and buy the metirials for the build!!

post-49290-0-11856400-1432141297.jpg

post-49290-0-44183900-1432141299.jpg

post-49290-0-93977000-1432141302.jpg

I'm liking it. Keep us updated

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

• 2 weeks later...

I got the aluminium that I needed. The original plan was that I will cut it, but now I try to find a laser cutter here in Budapest. It'll take a while to cut everything so this is all I did this week.

• 1 month later...

So the laser cutter didn't work out. Today I made the first cut! Here is a picture! I will have a few dayoffs in witch I can finally work on the case! Hope to get a lot of things done! 

post-49290-0-49558000-1436549131_thumb.j

May I suggest making a rad/fan mount on the lower part in front of the PSU, that massive hole under the case would provide good airflow, also a larger window'd model would be cool ;)

So the laser cutter didn't work out. Today I made the first cut! Here is a picture! I will have a few dayoffs in witch I can finally work on the case! Hope to get a lot of things done! 

Looks like a good start, one thing how are you planning to make your joints with other pieces, welding them together or have angle braces to rivet everything?

Looks like a good start, one thing how are you planning to make your joints with other pieces, welding them together or have angle braces to rivet everything?

I was wondering the same thing, welds would look super clean after smoothing them out, but rivets would be faster and cheaper..

May I suggest making a rad/fan mount on the lower part in front of the PSU, that massive hole under the case would provide good airflow, also a larger window'd model would be cool ;)

The first model that I am currently building won't have a window. I will ad that later on. I just drew something up so that I know if it is good or not. The space there is so small only an 80mm fan would fit it. The psu will suck its own air from the bottom so there is no real need for airflow there.

I was wondering the same thing, welds would look super clean after smoothing them out, but rivets would be faster and cheaper..

The problem is that if I weld the aluminium I need someone who has very godo skills. Otherwise The aluminium will deforme or melt. So I will just use screws. Flat screws so it wont be in the way of the side panels.

The first model that I am currently building won't have a window. I will ad that later on. I just drew something up so that I know if it is good or not. The space there is so small only an 80mm fan would fit it. The psu will suck its own air from the bottom so there is no real need for airflow there.

I meant this spot.. It looks bigger than 80mm judging by the PSU bay for comparison.. But then again this your case ;)

yIWizx6.jpg

The problem is that if I weld the aluminium I need someone who has very godo skills. Otherwise The aluminium will deforme or melt. So I will just use screws. Flat screws so it wont be in the way of the side panels.

I would probably not weld it if it's thinner than 3-4mm, and instead braze it with brazing rods but flat head screws and angle brackets are a good option especially for keeping things modular.

I would probably not weld it if it's thinner than 3-4mm, and instead braze it with brazing rods but flat head screws and angle brackets are a good option especially for keeping things modular.

rivets are cheap.. Do like the "pros" xD

So I'm also designing a case and I want to make it out of wood, dies someone have an idea how I could put the sidepanel on there!

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme   Processor: Intel i7-2700K   RAM: 16GB GEiL DDR3-1333   Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro Tri-X

SSD: 500GB Samsung 840 Evo   HDD: 1TB WesternDigital   PSU: 850W Corsair RM850 

So I'm also designing a case and I want to make it out of wood, dies someone have an idea how I could put the sidepanel on there!

If your doing a wood side panel you could hook it into place or have pins it locks into. My personal favorite is using matching magnets as a latching or closing system for removable parts.

Realized a mistake I made... So here is a corrected version!

Looks awesome design. one thing i see and not sure if its an issue, but the mounting of the HDD / storage drives are vertical. i am not sure if this makes a difference to the way they work with them been a platter disc drive? i know you see a lot of SSD drives mounted vertically like this because they have no moving parts. 

maybe someone knows if a traditional mechanical disc type HDD works vertically mounted??? 

got to love Asus components

Also i would get it laser cut and make sure there are flanges in the design so you can fold the flanges and then use anodized alloy aircraft rivets to join the panels would be good so you can always drill them out and make changes in the future if needed. as welding and brazing alloy isn't easy as you can't see a weld pool so can easy melt it to nothing. 

got to love Asus components

Mine is on hinges and kept shut using magnets. Also made of wood. Maybe check my sig for the build log.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Looks awesome design. one thing i see and not sure if its an issue, but the mounting of the HDD / storage drives are vertical. i am not sure if this makes a difference to the way they work with them been a platter disc drive? i know you see a lot of SSD drives mounted vertically like this because they have no moving parts. 

maybe someone knows if a traditional mechanical disc type HDD works vertically mounted??? 

I didn't even think about it causing a problem!!! Thank you! It seems that lasercutting would be a lot better. I tried cutting it with a flex and a jigsaw. both damaged the aluminium. So the only 2 options left are metal scissor or laser cutting.