Can anyone recommend a decent desk

doomed2fail
Go to solution Solved by doomed2fail,

Problem solved! I removed the really obstructive support bars for the monitor stand along with the stand, and I can now finally sit at it properly. I put a blanket over the glass as a short term solution to it being freezing cold and boom I'm in business. Gonna get some sleep now and tomorrow I'm playing Shogun 2 :D.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I may well get a corner desk in the future.

My desk is a total pain in the ass, it's glass and it feels like I'm going to break both my wrists If I use my mouse and keyboard for more than half an hour (no joke). This has resulted in me playing exclusively with a controller for fear of carpal tunnal syndrome. While this is fine it's hardly ideal and rules out alot of games. I played defense grid 2 the other week balancing the mouse on a book on my knee and no use of keyboard as it does not have controller support. I tried using my desk but after 10 minutes my right wrist was red...fuck that.

So I've got 2 options that I can see. 1. get a really thick sort of foam cover and put that over the desk thereby softening it. Now a second problem with the desk is that it has a fair few obstructing metal supports bars underneat it which restrict how far I can move my chair forward as I have long legs.

So I'm thinking screw plan 1 which is doomed 2 fail and go straight to plan 2. Which is buy a new desk. And what better people to get advice from than you folks.

This is just a start point so just a few good tips on what to look for in a decent desk would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Edit: Another problem with it and actually I think this is what is causing all the problems is the it has a fancy elevated and extended stand for the monitor. Then because of all the support bars under the desk, if you are sitting in a typical fashion at the desk you are WAY too close to the monitor and your legs are pressing into the support bars.

So you have to sit further back and move the mouse and keyboard fairly close to the edge of the desk so that you are in effect leaning on your wrists when you are using them as opposed to having your arms resting on the desk while using them which is the case with every other desk I've ever sat at.

Ok I'm gonna see if I can remove the stand and support bars. See if that helps.

I have always been a fan of corner desks.  The advantage is that you can sit right in the corner and the desk gives good support to both arms.  If you don't have room for a corner desk, you can get a similar benefit if you have really good arm rests on your chair, and you can match the arms rests to the height of your keyboard (whether on a keyboard tray or on top of the desk).

Ergonomics is basically a fancy word for comfort.  If it feels good, and continues to feel good for extended use, you are good to go.

There is a company making gaming desks, which I think is a cool idea and I'd like to try one.  I can't find it right now, Luke introduced it at a show he covered...  It was a rectangular desk but the front edge was sloped slightly, to give better forearm support I think.  Looked interesting.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Go to your local,office max, staples, or IKEA and try out desk. If none are in your hands I suggest desk in which you can add on to. So you can for say turn a huge 8 foot wide desk ( if you can't expand ) and turn it into a corner desk. :) hope this helps

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Ah yes, it was DX Racer.   Here

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

I have always been a fan of corner desks.  The advantage is that you can sit right in the corner and the desk gives good support to both arms.  If you don't have room for a corner desk, you can get a similar benefit if you have really good arm rests on your chair, and you can match the arms rests to the height of your keyboard (whether on a keyboard tray or on top of the desk).

Ergonomics is basically a fancy word for comfort.  If it feels good, and continues to feel good for extended use, you are good to go.

There is a company making gaming desks, which I think is a cool idea and I'd like to try one.  I can't find it right now, Luke introduced it at a show he covered...  It was a rectangular desk but the front edge was sloped slightly, to give better forearm support I think.  Looked interesting.

a gaming desk. Bam +$300. The only ever gaming desk Id buy would be kindda what you said but it would have to be a corner desk. Also LEDS already installed, amazing cable management capabilities ect. Ect. But like I said it would be like $500, then again most big corner desk that are quality, like pure oak ones ect.. Are around $400

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

Go to your local,office max, staples, or IKEA and try out desk. If none are in your hands I suggest desk in which you can add on to. So you can for say turn a huge 8 foot wide desk ( if you can't expand ) and turn it into a corner desk. :) hope this helps

yes, Ikea has good desks.  They even have one that has electric height adjust.

PC Build

Desk Build

Ikea.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

a gaming desk. Bam +$300. The only ever gaming desk Id buy would be kindda what you said but it would have to be a corner desk. Also LEDS already installed, amazing cable management capabilities ect. Ect. But like I said it would be like $500, then again most big corner desk that are quality, like pure oak ones ect.. Are around $400

Yeah, I just checked, that dx racer gaming desk is $399 USD.  Pretty steep for a small desk.  Ikea is way better value for that price.

PC Build

Desk Build

yes, Ikea has good desks.  They even have one that has electric height adjust.

To bad the closet IKEA to me is in Canada, ( im in Ohio, U.S.A). Plus I've seen that desk. One problem is in my eyes it's just to small.. I mean atleast make a corner version or a extension version which would be like 6-8 feet wide. Not 4 feet. If it was $400, and was anywhere from 6-8 feet wide. Maybe would I get it. I couldnt imagine fitting 2 24 inch momitor and a 27 inch on there. It would really be compact of it even fit.

To bad the closet IKEA to me is in Canada, ( im in Ohio, U.S.A). Plus I've seen that desk. One problem is in my eyes it's just to small.. I mean atleast make a corner version or a extension version which would be like 6-8 feet wide. Not 4 feet. If it was $400, and was anywhere from 6-8 feet wide. Maybe would I get it. I couldnt imagine fitting 2 24 inch momitor and a 27 inch on there. It would really be compact of it even fit.

yeah that sucks.  It also seems like most desks now days are made of particle board.  The first time you try to move it, they self destruct under their own weight.

PC Build

Desk Build

A corner desk definitely seems like the way to go. My uncle is actually a carpenter, I'm thinking I might get him to put something together for me. Might be able to do this right.

Problem solved! I removed the really obstructive support bars for the monitor stand along with the stand, and I can now finally sit at it properly. I put a blanket over the glass as a short term solution to it being freezing cold and boom I'm in business. Gonna get some sleep now and tomorrow I'm playing Shogun 2 :D.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I may well get a corner desk in the future.