Is my cpu Bottlenecking my Gpu

I have a 2660 v2 cpu and was wondering if this was bottlenecking my 7990 in any way, it doesn't seem to be, however just looking for other inputs on this.

I have a 2660 v2 cpu and was wondering if this was bottlenecking my 7990 in any way, it doesn't seem to be, however just looking for other inputs on this.

In what games?  EVERY PC in the history of PCs have bottlenecks.  It's whether you will notice the bottleneck is the main concern.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Your CPU has 40 lanes of PCIE 3 and boost clock of 3.0 ghz. My opinion is that your CPU is not a bottleneck, but your GPU might be depending on the game.

Hmm, it's hard to say. It's a deca-core CPU, but its frequency is only 2.2GHz, but with a Turbo of 3GHz, which is pretty decent.

I would say no, your CPU is not slowing down the 7990.

But it could also depend on the application. If an application is only using one core, then I would say yes. If it uses more than just one, then no.

There will always be a limit to performance, and it changes from game to game, as some games coudnt care less if you had an i3 or an i7, but others (especially poorly threaded ones) will really suffer if the per core performance is lower.

In most games the gpu is the limiter, but if yo happen to play a cpu limited/ poorly threaded game, then just try bus clock overclocking the chip or something (personally i would not touch the clocks on a chip that costs half as much as my whole system, but hey...)

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

I would day it bottlenecks it a little bit in games that are single and dual threaded but it would not be anything to insane.

You could go for a light blck overclock if you want to. You just change the blck between 100(stock) to 105 without changing the voltage or anything else in fact. That would give quite a performance boost is you could hit it between 103 to 105 if thats stable off course. That would be between a 3% to a 5% overclock. It would not be something to laught at and would reduce the chance of hitting a bottleneck.

Also, if you want to now if it bottlenecks your graphics card in certain games, play some games and keep a log of gpu usage during those games. If the gpu usage drops under 95% on the main card, there is definitely a bottleneck. But, I would'nt worry to much if its over 90% utilisation on the main gpu

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

yes the cpu will definitely bottleneck it, especialy in cpu demending games at 1080p.

But yeah there will allways be a bottleneck at a certain point, no matter which cpu you trow at it.

Thanks for the replys all,as thought im pretty sure my cpu is not bottlenecking me, although I also understand that some applications like games may suffer due to the slower clock speed, but im guessing it shouldn't affect me too much or at all on games.

Btw I Found this information on cpu world, I dont really think most games use 1 core these days...

Turbo frequency3000 MHz (1 core)
2600 MHz (all cores)

But saying that on heaven I can stil l can get scores of "2024" with 1060/1600 on the gpu with max setting, tessellation extreme etc.. at 1920x1080 but Antialiasing on x4, so I think I might of answered my own question.

In any games that require higher single-threaded performance it most likely is holding back the GPU to some degree. In a game like World of Warcraft your CPU isn't really any better than an i5-3330, which would certainly limit a 7990 in really CPU intensive games.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W