DEFECTIVE PSU ? Corsair 600w modular

BathSaltZombie
Go to solution Solved by BathSaltZombie,

thanks a lot guys. I freak out cuz i spent lots of money on my pc and its my first build, im noob.

Fellas,

just built new pc.  I've noticed a super annoying sort of buzz noise with my psu.  For example every time i open a file or click a link theres a faint buzz noise, almost like something is caught in the fan but there isn't..  is this normal?  this is a corsair CX600M modular PSU, 600 watts. 

i5 4690k 

EVGA GTX 960

8GB vengeance 1866mhz

gigabyte z97mx 

samsung SSD

600w psu 

windows 7

- This was a pretty expensive psu made by corsair.. i wouldn't think it would make noticeably annoying sounds.  Especially when it claims to be silent...

Should i take it back or what, anyone else experienced this?  

If you still have warranty you can contact corsair about it

<THE SILENT ASSASSIN>CPU(Intel i5-4690K)||COOLER(corsair H100i)||MOB(asus Maximus VII Hero ATX)||RAM(16gb of corsair vengeance)||STORAGE(Intel 530 128gb)(Samsung 850 Pro 500gb)(WD 2tb Black)||GRAPHICS(2 x Asus strix 970)||CASE(Nzxt H440)||PSU(Corsair RM750W)>http://pcpartpicker.com/b/Bbpbt6

My corsair rm750w PSU is silent

<THE SILENT ASSASSIN>CPU(Intel i5-4690K)||COOLER(corsair H100i)||MOB(asus Maximus VII Hero ATX)||RAM(16gb of corsair vengeance)||STORAGE(Intel 530 128gb)(Samsung 850 Pro 500gb)(WD 2tb Black)||GRAPHICS(2 x Asus strix 970)||CASE(Nzxt H440)||PSU(Corsair RM750W)>http://pcpartpicker.com/b/Bbpbt6

A sound clip would be helpful. Not to mention that this problem is already being covered in your gtx 960 thread.

Could it be coil whine?

It is quite possible to be coil wine yes

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

Put it under near full load and the coil whine should go away, or at the very least become quieter. I've had similar issues with my CX850M.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I had similar problems with my CX600M - it may be expensive but far from premium :(

I RMA'd it, now knowing a little more about PSUs greatly regretting my purchase of this

If you can get a full refund and get something better I'd do that (a better one will probably be the same price anyway) or at the least get a replacement

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

thanks a lot guys. I freak out cuz i spent lots of money on my pc and its my first build, im noob.

No problem