Fan noise

jamesfindlay3

I will be getting 6 fans rated for about 19.2 db on full power (1200 rpm) But I will be running them at about 800 rpm(maybe less) so at a guess each fan will be at about 16-18 db. What sort of noise level will this be with 6 fans? will it be fine or will it be annoyingly loud? I will also have a fractal define r5 silent case which will help. you can see the specs of my build on my page for extra information.

Thank you!

I will be getting 6 fans rated for about 19.2 db on full power (1200 rpm) But I will be running them at about 800 rpm(maybe less) so at a guess each fan will be at about 16-18 db. What sort of noise level will this be with 6 fans? will it be fine or will it be annoyingly loud? I will also have a fractal define r5 silent case which will help. you can see the specs of my build on my page for extra information.

Thank you!

i think it will be okay mate

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

I have 6 fans 4 120mm 1 140mm and 1 200mm in the slient mode on bios i can only hear my gpu fans when they hit 60ish %. I have a curve for games and i can hear the all above 1100 rpm with no headset, annoying, well you're the best judge of that. My ceiling fan is louder but, it also wobbles and the cords hit the light to the intro of down with the sickness so its funny to me and guest.

Fan specs tend to be unreliable. Ignore them and stick to benchmarks and in-depth reviews instead.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I was just about to post something about this (still will) I got my fan controller today, and I have a complete set of Corsair Air Series SP 140mm fans, Noctua NF-A14 FLX 140mm Fan, some Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14 140mm  Fans from my case, a few old Thermaltake fans from a old case, and a generic one.

I just did a test, connected them all to my controller and lowered them all to 1200, 1000 then 800. At 800 there is barely any difference apart from the generic one, but that could of been from wear and tear. While at higher rpm some are louder then others if that's the type of thing that bothers you everyone of them would be unacceptable.

So while I have no proof and realize that and i also have no way of measuring things like air flow. From a pure noise perspective it seems the biggest factor is what rpm the fans run at not what brand they are. The Corsair, Thermaltake and Noctua fans all were whisper quiet at 800 to 900 and became noticeably audible at higher rpm. Even at higher rpm I think investing in a sound proof case would almost be better then forking out 200 bucks for a full kit of Noctua fans.

If someone asked me what fans should I get for a quiet case I would probably tell them get whatever you like the look of and control the speeds via motherboard or a controller. Also fan DB seems to go up exponentially with rpm... 800 to 1000 I noticed only a small difference but 1000 to 1200 they all became loud, 1100 to 1200 was the biggest difference.

If you run your fans at 800 you will hardly hear them. I also have a R5 the loudest part in my entire system is the GPU. I was running Noctua in my case but now with the controller have switched to Corsair for fun and they are just as quiet.

(Edit: Nice build by the way)

I was just about to post something about this (still will) I got my fan controller today, and I have a complete set of Corsair Air Series SP 140mm fans, Noctua NF-A14 FLX 140mm Fan, some Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14 140mm  Fans from my case, a few old Thermaltake fans from a old case, and a generic one.

I just did a test, connected them all to my controller and lowered them all to 1200, 1000 then 800. At 800 there is barely any difference apart from the generic one, but that could of been from wear and tear. While at higher rpm some are louder then others if that's the type of thing that bothers you everyone of them would be unacceptable.

So while I have no proof and realize that and i also have no way of measuring things like air flow. From a pure noise perspective it seems the biggest factor is what rpm the fans run at not what brand they are. The Corsair, Thermaltake and Noctua fans all were whisper quiet at 800 to 900 and became noticeably audible at higher rpm. Even at higher rpm I think investing in a sound proof case would almost be better then forking out 200 bucks for a full kit of Noctua fans.

If someone asked me what fans should I get for a quiet case I would probably tell them get whatever you like the look of and control the speeds via motherboard or a controller. Also fan DB seems to go up exponentially with rpm... 800 to 1000 I noticed only a small difference but 1000 to 1200 they all became loud, 1100 to 1200 was the biggest difference.

If you run your fans at 800 you will hardly hear them. I also have a R5 the loudest part in my entire system is the GPU. I was running Noctua in my case but now with the controller have switched to Corsair for fun and they are just as quiet.

There's normally no need to buy whatever 'a full kit' would be at $200 for Noctuas. Positioning and quality tends to make a bigger difference than sheer quantity. 

The fans you've mentioned experience certain noises like hums and ticking at lower rpms that aren't as present or at all in Noctuas. 

I can easily hear my Noctuas whenever they get close to 600rpm as I tend to run them ~400rpm. 

Corsair QE's may be as quiet or quieter at higher rpms than Noctuas but cannot get as quiet at lower ones--which is when it actually matters if silence is the goal.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

There's normally no need to buy whatever 'a full kit' would be at $200 for Noctuas. Positioning and quality tends to make a bigger difference than sheer quantity. 

The fans you've mentioned experience certain noises like hums and ticking at lower rpms that aren't as present or at all in Noctuas. 

I can easily hear my Noctuas whenever they get close to 600rpm as I tend to run them ~400rpm. 

Corsair QE's may be as quiet or quieter at higher rpms than Noctuas but cannot get as quiet at lower ones--which is when it actually matters if silence is the goal.

I read the question as him wanting a quiet computer however, not a silent computer. Most "premium" fans would be more then up to that task. The 200 dollar fan "kit" was just making a point, that if someone wanted a "quiet" computer going out and buying all Noctua fans for your system would be overkill when quiet is the goal.

If the poster wanted a silent computer then sure I agree Noctua at very low rpm would win. But for a quiet computer where the goal is not being "annoyingly loud" most premium fans more then meet the requirement. On another note while the Noctua fans are more expensive that 6 year warranty is ballin, Corsair only offer 2 if I am not mistaken.

Also note I am in Australia so that 200 dollar kit is for like 5 fans as top of the line Noctua retail for 32 to 38 dollars.

I am sure your right. I read the question as him wanting a quiet computer however, not a silent computer. Most "premium" fans would be more then up to that task. The 200 dollar fan "kit" was just making a point, that if someone wanted a "quiet" computer going out and buying all Noctua fans for your system would be overkill when quiet is the goal.

If the poster wanted a silent computer then sure I agree Noctua at very low rpm would win. But for a quiet computer operating at 800 to 1000 rpm most fans are more then capable.

No fans are silent and quietness is subjective. 

No fans are silent and quietness is subjective. 

That's true.