Canon EOS 1200D Alternatives?

So I'm looking to get into photography and I want a decent DSLR. I've been looking into the 1200D but should I get something else?

Let me know! ;)

Thanks

- Robbivip

So I'm looking to get into photography and I want a decent DSLR. I've been looking into the 1200D but should I get something else?

Let me know! ;)

Nikon D3300

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Let me know! ;)

A used 60D with a 50mm f1.8 is about the same price as a new 1200D.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I would get Nikon D3300 or D3200.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

A used 60D with a 50mm f1.8 is about the same price as a new 1200D.

60d with 50mm, is equivalent to 80mm... which is not very practical as a only lens for a camera.

60d with 50mm, is equivalent to 80mm... which is not very practical as a only lens for a camera.

It is if you shoot mainly portraits, which I do :P  Otherwise, get the 18-55 kit lens as a starter and decide your lens from there on out.

It is if you shoot mainly portraits, which I do :P  Otherwise, get the 18-55 kit lens as a starter and decide your lens from there on out.

He says "So I'm looking to get into photography". I would NOT recommend a 50mm on a cropped sensor for any beginner. Especially if it is their only lens.

He says "So I'm looking to get into photography". I would NOT recommend a 50mm on a cropped sensor for any beginner. Especially if it is their only lens.

Personally, I would still recommend a 50mm cos :

1 ) It's a prime, with a fast aperture, allowing you to take pics in much lower light than a 3.5-5.6 kit lens

2) It's a prime, which forces you to learn composition as there's no zoom for you to play with.  It's an accelerated learning curve lens.  Your zoom is your legs.

I'm a very strong proponent for the 50mm lens, as I learnt proper and/or interesting composition as a result of it's drawbacks.

But for general use, kit lens will serve you well.

Personally, I would still recommend a 50mm cos :

1 ) It's a prime, with a fast aperture, allowing you to take pics in much lower light than a 3.5-5.6 kit lens

2) It's a prime, which forces you to learn composition as there's no zoom for you to play with.  It's an accelerated learning curve lens.  Your zoom is your legs.

I'm a very strong proponent for the 50mm lens, as I learnt proper and/or interesting composition as a result of it's drawbacks.

But for general use, kit lens will serve you well.

There are too many draw backs for it too be worth it, Sometimes you just don't have enough room to zoom with your legs. How far back you would have to stand to go from 24mm to 50mm is huge... It can teach you composition but any lens can teach you composition. Composition is just how you frame your image. Cropping in Photoshop can teach you composition. f1.8 sounds nice but will be frustrating for new photographers learning to focus... And Portraits, well lens are typically sharpest in their middle apertures so if you are in a controlled lighting environment, e.g. a studio or with studio lights you wouldn't even use f1.8.

But what works for you, works for you. We all have our own ways.

I just see people only talk positively about the 50mm 1.8. But i don't think having a 50mm on a cropped sensor is not all sunshine and roses.

I just see people only talk positively about the 50mm 1.8. But i don't think having a 50mm on a cropped sensor is not all sunshine and roses.

I agree

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

There are too many draw backs for it too be worth it, Sometimes you just don't have enough room to zoom with your legs. How far back you would have to stand to go from 24mm to 50mm is huge... It can teach you composition but any lens can teach you composition. Composition is just how you frame your image. Cropping in Photoshop can teach you composition. f1.8 sounds nice but will be frustrating for new photographers learning to focus... And Portraits, well lens are typically sharpest in their middle apertures so if you are in a controlled lighting environment, e.g. a studio or with studio lights you wouldn't even use f1.8.

But what works for you, works for you. We all have our own ways.

Indeed. I have the EF 50mm f/1.8 II, and it was my first (and only) separate lens that I bought for a DSLR. The bigger maximum aperture really helped overcome the 1000D's poor performance in low-light (maximum ISO is only 1600). It was nice for the shallow depth of field too and all, but I just found myself not being nearly as restricted with the field of view of the 18-55mm kit lens than with the 50mm prime. What I usually shoot just happens to require wide angle more than a 50mm cropped into 80mm by the sensor, essentially making it a portrait lens. Heck, in-doors I can even feel just a little restricted at times with the widest focal length of 10,4mm (FF equivalent is 28mm) on the RX100 Mk. 1 I nowadays shoot with.

So the kit lens is probably the best starter lens, for the price and the versatility. If he would want a prime at some point, keeping the kit lens' focal length as the same as the prime(s) he would want, this could help to see which focal length(s) would suit him the best.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

having a 50mm on a crop sensor isn't for everyone, personally I like it on Nikons but iffy on Canons