recovering game key

rainbrodash666

my friend bought me a copy of mafia II from gamestop but when I go to register the key with steam to add it to my library it says that the key has already been registered. what can I do about this? I have the physical disc case manual ect.

Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

my friend bought me a copy of mafia II from gamestop but when I go to register the key with steam to add it to my library it says that the key has already been registered. what can I do about this? I have the physical disc case manual ect.

Have your friend email GameStop support. And possibly Steam too.

Edit: Also, was the game sealed when you got it?

Have your friend email GameStop support. And possibly Steam too.

Edit: Also, was the game sealed when you got it?

GameStop removes the disk to prevent anyone from taking it but they always leave the manual and codes in the case. 

GameStop removes the disk to prevent anyone from taking it but they always leave the manual and codes in the case. 

Wait, what?

Wait, what?

You were asking if the game was sealed and I was just replying that the staff break the seal to remove the game.

You were asking if the game was sealed and I was just replying that the staff break the seal to remove the game.

It makes no sense for them to do that. :/

That automatically makes it a "used" game.

Well at Gamestop, it's perfectly fine (in the management's eyes) to allow employees to "borrow" games and play them for some time then bring it back so long as nothing happens to the game.

These games are often still sold as "new". :|

Source: Former Gamestop employee who avidly did this.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

so the label on the game says "new" but yeah the game was open.

I will emai steam today. what should I include in the email?

Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

so the label on the game says "new" but yeah the game was open.

I will emai steam today. what should I include in the email?

A picture of your receipt.

What the problem is.

That's about it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

A picture of your receipt.

What the problem is.

That's about it.

well looks like I might be EA'd then, unless gamestop dosen't mind me going through their garbage.

Spoiler

well looks like I might be EA'd then, unless gamestop dosen't mind me going through their garbage.

Never ever ever throw away your receipts. Because that's the only thing that proves you bought it. 

If I were you and lacked a receipt, I wouldn't be any different from some guy trying to abuse the help system to get free games. 

Email? Sometimes Gamestop emails me a receipt. 

You could try emailing Gamestop to get an emailed receipt. 

Just thoughts.

† Christian Member †

Never ever ever throw away your receipts. Because that's the only thing that proves you bought it. 

If I were you and lacked a receipt, I wouldn't be any different from some guy trying to abuse the help system to get free games. 

Email? Sometimes Gamestop emails me a receipt. 

You could try emailing Gamestop to get an emailed receipt. 

Just thoughts.

how, I can prove that I have the physical copy of the game and activation code. well this sucks, I will just send it back my friends way. let him deal with it.

Spoiler

how, I can prove that I have the physical copy of the game and activation code. well this sucks, I will just send it back my friends way. let him deal with it.

I would then take a picture of the game/activation code and try that.

It could work. It's just not as full proof as a receipt.

† Christian Member †

Does your friend have a copy of the receipt? How did your friend pay for the game? (Eg: Cash, Debit Card, Credit Card, Gift Card, etc). If he paid with a debit or credit card, then he can EASILY get the store manager to print him a new receipt. He just goes in with the card he used for the purchase, tells them the exact day he bought the game, and they search their records and match up his card number with the receipt.

I used to work at Staples, and we did this all the time.

With that in mind, if he paid cash, or if he paid with a gift card and has since thrown the gift card away, then he's likely boned.

Moral of the story, always keep your receipt until you at least activate the game code.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)