Pentium G3258 Question

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

It's a bit weak for a gaming CPU, but if you get a good cooler and OC it a lot, it might be fine for medium-high settings, depending on your GPU.

EDIT - With a 960 it should be alright, but don't expect super-high settings.

CPU priority just makes it so that GTAV.exe gets more of the CPU power compared to other running programs that may need it. If you're not doing anything else CPU demanding while playing, it won't make a big difference. Setting priorities does not remove CPU bottlenecks, that's for sure.

But it does remove stuttering

The CPU bottleneck is what causes stuttering...

If you were having a great time playing GTA V on that G3258 then why this thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/363515-cpu-for-gta-v/

OK

1. No it's not. Look all over the internet at GTA V videos with the Pentium, they say it stutters

2. It's because I can't really find that many GTA V videos with the 4460 that don't go balls to the walls with settings, and I want to play GTA V at 60FPS at very high graphical settings with a lot of stuff going on at once

an i3 with a $50-$70 board would be the way to go.

Can that case hold a bigger GPU?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

I play GTA5 with 40FPS with the rig in my sig. The CPU is no clocked.

I never had good experiences playing much easier games to run than GTA V on my 4.4 GHz Pentium G3258. The Z97 board is a waste of money, no overclock on a Pentium makes up for core count deficiency. Here is a CPU benchmark Digital Foundry did for GTA V:

You can see the i5 is the major sweet spot here, as it is for almost all other games.

I play GTA5 with 40FPS with the rig in my sig. The CPU is no clocked.

but what settings?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

GTA V with my i7 and 290X

the game loves multi core and VRAM

post-9191-0-33045200-1431211200_thumb.jp

I never had good experiences playing much easier games to run than GTA V on my 4.4 GHz Pentium G3258. The Z97 board is a waste of money, no overclock on a Pentium makes up for core count deficiency. Here is a CPU benchmark Digital Foundry did for GTA V:

You can see the i5 is the major sweet spot here, as it is for almost all other games.

Would the 4460 preform similar to this?

GTA V likes Intel quad core, a 4460 would do good. But its not all about the CPU

GTA V likes Intel quad core, a 4460 would do good. But its not all about the CPU

Yeah I figured, I just want the best Intel CPU for my budget.

Would the 4460 preform similar to this?

The i5-4460 is 500 MHz slower than the stock i5-4690k when running at its all cores turbo, as the 4690k runs at 3.7GHz while the 4460 runs at 3.2 GHz on quad core turbo. So in theory you would expect within 15% of the stock 4690k's performance. With a GTX 960 you will definitely be GPU bound though. GTA V is one of the few games out right now where an i5 really seems to slaughter an i3. I would bet the 3.2 GHz i5-4460 would be awesome on GTA V. I run a 3.6 GHz Xeon E3-1231v3 (basically an i7 with some minor differences that don't affect gaming) and it feeds my GTX 970 brilliantly in GTA V even though hyperthreaded CPUs like the XeonE3 and i7 seem to get outperformed a little bit by Core i5s at the same speeds in this game.

The i5-4460 is 500 MHz slower than the stock i5-4690k when running at its all cores turbo, as the 4690k runs at 3.7GHz while the 4460 runs at 3.2 GHz on quad core turbo. So in theory you would expect within 15% of the stock 4690k's performance. With a GTX 960 you will definitely be GPU bound though. GTA V is one of the few games out right now where an i5 really seems to slaughter an i3. I would bet the 3.2 GHz i5-4460 would be awesome on GTA V. I run a 3.6 GHz Xeon E3-1231v3 (basically an i7 with some minor differences that don't affect gaming) and it feeds my GTX 970 brilliantly in GTA V even though hyperthreaded CPUs like the XeonE3 and i7 seem to get outperformed a little bit by Core i5s at the same speeds in this game.

I have an i3, sitting on the bench. I should run some tests.

GTA V likes multi core, can an i3 "fool" it with Hyper Threading?

but what settings?

Medium - High on textures and GPU related stuff and the lowest on post rendering, 2X MSAA and generally low on everything CPU uses.

So I should try to get the 4460? Or maybe save up for the 4690K and overclock? The 2GB of VRAM will hurt for GTA V but it should be able to run it on high at least.

My suggestion would be i5-4440/4460, h81 mobo, stock cooler. The money saved on the board and cooler can be used for the i5

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

So I should try to get the 4460? Or maybe save up for the 4690K and overclock? The 2GB of VRAM will hurt for GTA V but it should be able to run it on high at least.

GTA V plays very well on 2GB cards with most settings on very high. Just keep grass to high and keep the advanced settings off and you should get outstanding performance with an i5 and a GTX 960. It's an exceptional port, one of the best I have ever seen.

If you're dead set on a Z97 board then absolutely try to get the i5-4690k. If you want to save a few bucks with an H97 board I'd go for either the i5-4460 or i5-4590. Or you could save a lot of money by getting an H81 board or a B85 board and an i5-4440. The downsides of the H81 boards are only having two DIMMS (so buy one 8GB stick now so you can upgrade to 16GB later if needed) and not having front panel USB 3.0. Don't buy a Gigabyte B85 board though, they have introduced new revisions of their B85 boards with lowered performance from the original revisions.

GTA V plays very well on 2GB cards with most settings on very high. Just keep grass to high and keep the advanced settings off and you should get outstanding performance with an i5 and a GTX 960. It's an exceptional port, one of the best I have ever seen.

If you're dead set on a Z97 board then absolutely try to get the i5-4690k. If you want to save a few bucks with an H97 board I'd go for either the i5-4460 or i5-4590. Or you could save a lot of money by getting an H81 board or a B85 board and an i5-4440. The downsides of the H81 boards are only having two DIMMS (so buy one 8GB stick now so you can upgrade to 16GB later if needed) and not having front panel USB 3.0. Don't buy a Gigabyte B85 board though, they have introduced new revisions of their B85 boards with lowered performance from the original revisions.

I really want Wifi and I need USB 3.0. I went with Z97 for a better upgrade path rather than H81 which I'd be stuck with locked processors. ( I think ) and the cheapest H97 board here is only like $20 cheaper than the Board I want and doesn't have Wifi.

I would go with a H81I from MSI and a G3258 which can be upgraded to a 4460 or similar later. You can get a usb wifi adapter for less than $10 which is cheaper than upgrading to a wifi motherboard I think. Start with the stock cooler for the G3258 and see how much you can overclock and if it'll hold you over till you can afford an i5. Dont worry about needing to update the bios for the i5 because you can do that while you have the G3258. I have that motherboard and CPU and it works great for me.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

I really want Wifi and I need USB 3.0. I went with Z97 for a better upgrade path rather than H81 which I'd be stuck with locked processors. ( I think ) and the cheapest H97 board here is only like $20 cheaper than the Board I want and doesn't have Wifi.

Then just get the i5-4690k and forget about upgrade paths, as Broadwell doesn't look to be too impressive.