Pentium G3258 Question

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

It's a bit weak for a gaming CPU, but if you get a good cooler and OC it a lot, it might be fine for medium-high settings, depending on your GPU.

EDIT - With a 960 it should be alright, but don't expect super-high settings.

Hello again! I have a question about the CPU stated above, can I play games like GTA V and Witcher 3 on it? I'm not even sure if this is on the right section but meh.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

BTW the rest of the build is here if you want to take a look at it: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/tV3sf7

It's a bit weak for a gaming CPU, but if you get a good cooler and OC it a lot, it might be fine for medium-high settings, depending on your GPU.

it will struggle with GTA V

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

is this your first build? avoid mini-itx so you dont cut your fingers. change the cpu out for atleast a core i5 if you are gonna run gta v. go for the 4460 and use the stock cooler since you can't overclock the chip. i can oc since i have a 4690k

is this your first build? avoid mini-itx so you dont cut your fingers. change the cpu out for atleast a core i5 if you are gonna run gta v. go for the 4460 and use the stock cooler since you can't overclock the chip. i can oc since i have a 4690k

Oh no this is not my first build and I totally wanted to go with Mini-ITX for easier transportation. As for the i5 it's out of my budget currently but it will be a future upgrade for sure.

Spend less on your motherboard ($60) then take the extra money and get an i3 or i5

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

That's the reason I went with a Z97, to overclock. But yeah seeing everyone elses posts it looks like I might be better off with something like an i3 maybe?

Oh no this is not my first build and I totally wanted to go with Mini-ITX for easier transportation. As for the i5 it's out of my budget currently but it will be a future upgrade for sure.

can you go for amd instead of intel? the x4 860k is a good budget cpu

Spend less on your motherboard ($60) then take the extra money and get an i3 or i5

The cheapest M-ITX motherboard here is 80 bucks. Also the Wi-Fi is a nice addition for transportation.

Hello again! I have a question about the CPU stated above, can I play games like GTA V and Witcher 3 on it? I'm not even sure if this is on the right section but meh.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

BTW the rest of the build is here if you want to take a look at it: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/tV3sf7

It will struggle for sure with GTA V, and most likely with Witcher 3 as well.

"Rawr XD"

That's the reason I went with a Z97, to overclock. But yeah seeing everyone elses posts it looks like I might be better off with something like an i3 maybe?

H81+i3 is definitely a better idea then Z97+G3258

"Rawr XD"

Thanks everyone for the super quick replies!

boop

boop

boop

boop

i repeat: can you go for amd instead of intel? the x4 860k is a good budget cpu

I saw your post earlier, I just didn't reply to it right away, I don't really like AMD CPUs. So no not really.

I saw your post earlier, I just didn't reply to it right away, I don't really like AMD CPUs. So no not really.

k. just know that a dual core is gonna lack behind vs a quad core. definitely wanna go for a quad core in games like gta v

it will struggle with GTA V

It will struggle for sure with GTA V, and most likely with Witcher 3 as well.

Incorrect. I can frame cap my G3258 to 50FPS and have a great experience

Incorrect. I can frame cap my G3258 to 50FPS and have a great experience

Not incorrect. I've personally done tests and even with a 270X there are annoying frame rate dips, a 970 is an even bigger bottleneck. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/353771-amd-phenom-ii-x6-1075t-vs-overclocked-intel-pentium-g3258/

"Rawr XD"

but with no known upgrade path.

"Rawr XD"

Not incorrect. I've personally done tests and even with a 270X there are annoying frame rate dips, a 970 is an even bigger bottleneck. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/353771-amd-phenom-ii-x6-1075t-vs-overclocked-intel-pentium-g3258/

You're incorrect again. Simply set the priority of GTAV.exe in task manager to high and GTAVLauncher.exe to low.

Honestly an i3 might be better, because even though you can't OC it has hyperthreading, so in most new games it will have 4 useable cores instead of 2 (which the Pentium is locked to).

You're incorrect again. Simply set the priority of GTAV.exe in task manager to high and GTAVLauncher.exe to low.

Why would it matter if it were set to normal/default on both CPUs... you're not really making a point here.

"Rawr XD"

Why would it matter if it were set to normal/default on both CPUs... you're not really making a point here.

The whole point of this is that the OP wants a decent gaming experience. I'm saying that if you mess about with priorities, you can achieve that

The whole point of this is that the OP wants a decent gaming experience. I'm saying that if you mess about with priorities, you can achieve that

CPU priority just makes it so that GTAV.exe gets more of the CPU power compared to other running programs that may need it. If you're not doing anything else CPU demanding while playing, it won't make a big difference. Setting priorities does not remove CPU bottlenecks, that's for sure.

"Rawr XD"