Asus recalls MG279Q Sweclockers article translation

Comment: In friday´s wan show Linus tried to read directly from the Sweclockers.com source regarding the recall of the Asus MG279Q only to discover there was no English translation of the original article. I have done the job of translating it. (Please don´t be too harsh on me for bad formatting, I´m native in Swedish, not English.)

Asus recalls MG279Q after the discovery in Sweclockers’ test lab

Screens 2015-05-08 14:43

Sweclockers’ test lab discovered that the Asus MG279Q does not deliver the promised 144 Hz, which causes the component giant to withdraw the highly anticipated gaming screen.

Thanks to a so far unique combination of fast-IPS panel with support for AMD Freesync the Asus MG279Q is one of this spring's most talked about gaming screens. Sweclockers discovered that the model is not only limited by an unexpectedly narrow Freesync interval but also cannot handle the specified refresh rate of 144 Hz.

MG279Q frame skip

- What happens at 144 Hz is that Asus MG279Q simply skips every sixth frame. It is mostly visible in smooth motion at a constant speed and creates some hiccups. I noticed that something was not right simply by moving a window in Windows, says Sweclockers’ photo expert Thomas Ytterberg.

The screen shows only five out of six frames which mean that in practice it works at a maximum of 120 Hz - even when it is set to 144 Hz. When set to the actual 120Hz setting compliance is improved significantly, for example, this can be seen with the “UFO-old man” on Blurbusters’ test page.

- Anyone who does not know how 144 Hz is supposed to look like might not notice it because the difference is not as clear when gaming. It all depends on how the image is moving. If you are steady at hand, you can discover that the picture is rather jerky at 144 Hz and soft as a kitten at 120 Hz, Thomas Ytterberg explains.

The way the screen skips frames can be documented by photographing Blurbusters test page. When everything is in order, whole sequences of bright squares can be seen. If the display skips frames the sequence is broken. In the slideshow in Sweclockers’ article the second picture is at 144 Hz and there it is clearly showing every sixth frame as missing.

Immediate revocation

After Sweclockers discovered the flaw, Asus now decides to withdraw all MG279Q from their sales channel. According to Asus Nordic’s marketing director Marcus Hultin, all unsatisfied customers should, as of early next week, be able to RMA their screen by contacting the Asus warranty service.

The fault is also confirmed by the Asus engineers, who announce that the problem should be corrected in a new version of the firmware. Since the software cannot be updated without specialized equipment, all screens have to be returned to the factory. Deliveries are expected to start again in three to four weeks.

Comment: In friday´s wan show Linus tried to read directly from the Sweclockers.com source regarding the recall of the Asus MG279Q only to discover there was no English translation of the original article. I have done the job of translating it. (Please don´t be too harsh on me for bad formatting, I´m native in Swedish, not English.)

Asus recalls MG279Q after the discovery in Sweclockers’ test lab

Screens 2015-05-08 14:43

Sweclockers’ test lab discovered that the Asus MG279Q does not deliver the promised 144 Hz, which causes the component giant to withdraw the highly anticipated gaming screen.

Thanks to a so far unique combination of fast-IPS panel with support for AMD Freesync the Asus MG279Q is one of this spring's most talked about gaming screens. Sweclockers discovered that the model is not only limited by an unexpectedly narrow Freesync interval but also cannot handle the specified refresh rate of 144 Hz.

MG279Q frame skip

- What happens at 144 Hz is that Asus MG279Q simply skips every sixth frame. It is mostly visible in smooth motion at a constant speed and creates some hiccups. I noticed that something was not right simply by moving a window in Windows, says Sweclockers’ photo expert Thomas Ytterberg.

The screen shows only five out of six frames which mean that in practice it works at a maximum of 120 Hz - even when it is set to 144 Hz. When set to the actual 120Hz setting compliance is improved significantly, for example, this can be seen with the “UFO-old man” on Blurbusters’ test page.

- Anyone who does not know how 144 Hz is supposed to look like might not notice it because the difference is not as clear when gaming. It all depends on how the image is moving. If you are steady at hand, you can discover that the picture is rather jerky at 144 Hz and soft as a kitten at 120 Hz, Thomas Ytterberg explains.

The way the screen skips frames can be documented by photographing Blurbusters test page. When everything is in order, whole sequences of bright squares can be seen. If the display skips frames the sequence is broken. In the slideshow in Sweclockers’ article the second picture is at 144 Hz and there it is clearly showing every sixth frame as missing.

Immediate revocation

After Sweclockers discovered the flaw, Asus now decides to withdraw all MG279Q from their sales channel. According to Asus Nordic’s marketing director Marcus Hultin, all unsatisfied customers should, as of early next week, be able to RMA their screen by contacting the Asus warranty service.

The fault is also confirmed by the Asus engineers, who announce that the problem should be corrected in a new version of the firmware. Since the software cannot be updated without specialized equipment, all screens have to be returned to the factory. Deliveries are expected to start again in three to four weeks.

Well translate, doesn't seem to have google translation erros Thumbs up

My article on subscription based services and why they are the way forward http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/382625-what-the-future-holds/

Well translate, doesn't seem to have google translation errors Thumbs up

It should not, because I made sure to fix any weird errors and words that the translator came up with, it was almost unreadable without the error-corrections I made, for example the translation wanted to put the word 'failure' where the word flaw is located and the word for gaming in swedish can also be translated to gambling, so google translate, being the algorithm-driven mess it is, wanted to write gambling in all places where I later wrote gaming. Also some words were in the completely wrong order for it to make sense in English, due to the placement of nouns etc. differing somewhat between English and Swedish. It took me quite some time to fix it. 

It should not, because I made sure to fix any weird errors and words that the translator came up with, it was almost unreadable without the error-corrections I made, for example the translation wanted to put the word 'failure' where the word flaw is located and the word for gaming in swedish can also be translated to gambling, so google translate, being the algorithm-driven mess it is, wanted to write gambling in all places where I later wrote gaming. Also some words were in the completely wrong order for it to make sense in English, due to the placement of nouns etc. differing somewhat between English and Swedish. It took me quite some time to fix it. 

Lol google translate facepalm

My article on subscription based services and why they are the way forward http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/382625-what-the-future-holds/