Free Video Converting Software

Trucktruck
I just got the newsletter subscribed from WonderFox. The company is offering free software - latest version DVD Video Converter, without strings attached. The giveaway expires till June 1. 

I hope there's someone who can introduce me another practical video converting software. Well, that would be better if it is for free :D

VLC Player

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

If you're going to make more videos like your profile pic I'll just be keeping my list to myself

If you're on Windows, FormatFactory is excellent, it handles almost all codecs and containers with an easy to use GUI.

I've heard MediaCoder is good too, but I've never used it.

Otherwise, there are the multiplatforms, VLC, makemkv, Handbrake, , and FFmpeg.

They all have their disadvantages, Handbrake and makemkv are extremely limited in the codecs and containers they will output.  VLC doesn't handle batch jobs particularly well and it doesn't have support for variable or average bitrate encoding.  FFmpeg requires one to be comfortable with the command line, though there are GUI frontends, but they usually hide much of the functionality.

My recommendation is to learn how to use FFmpeg with the codecs you output to frequently - some codecs like faac use tags that differ from it's recommended standards.  

Go Try Handbrake, it pretty quick

Magical Pineapples

If you're on Windows, FormatFactory is excellent, it handles almost all codecs and containers with an easy to use GUI.

I've heard MediaCoder is good too, but I've never used it.

Otherwise, there are the multiplatforms, VLC, makemkv, Handbrake, , and FFmpeg.

They all have their disadvantages, Handbrake and makemkv are extremely limited in the codecs and containers they will output.  VLC doesn't handle batch jobs particularly well and it doesn't have support for variable or average bitrate encoding.  FFmpeg requires one to be comfortable with the command line, though there are GUI frontends, but they usually hide much of the functionality.

My recommendation is to learn how to use FFmpeg with the codecs you output to frequently - some codecs like faac use tags that differ from it's recommended standards. 

Thanks, Is it for free?

Check out Freemake.

Yes, I like this one, it is free. Thanks B)

Yes, I like this one, it is free. Thanks B)

yes no problem. I always used this software when trying to convert some videos into my old Zune. One of the best freeware imo. unfortunately there's no support for OSX.

yes no problem. I always used this software when trying to convert some videos into my old Zune. One of the best freeware imo. unfortunately there's no support for OSX.

Well, may be some day in the future there would be an OSX version. Perhaps some one here could share some info on other converters which are available for OSX. Good luck!

Thanks, Is it for free?

All of the ones I mentioned are free.  Another one that I didn't mention is AnyVideoConverter, but I don't recommend it, it frequently outputs files with very degraded quality even with very high bitrates.

snip

Late to the party, but MPEG streamclip is something I used for years with fairly extensive features for a free program.

All of the ones I mentioned are free.  Another one that I didn't mention is AnyVideoConverter, but I don't recommend it, it frequently outputs files with very degraded quality even with very high bitrates.

Ok, thanks, Uber Hambergler. I'll check it out :)

Late to the party, but MPEG streamclip is something I used for years with fairly extensive features for a free program.

Oh, this one seems awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Go Try Handbrake, it pretty quick

Thanks for letting me know this nice stuff :D

If you're going to make more videos like your profile pic I'll just be keeping my list to myself

:P