Help choosing a new phone for my mom?

TRINHbot1101001

Hey guys, so my mom's had an HTC One X for about 3 years now, and my dad and I want to get her a new phone for mother's day, since her phone is getting kinda laggy now and I think it's served its lifetime.  I had recommended the Moto G 2nd Gen to her a while back since it's price-friendly and the performance is probably close to the One X's, but she doesn't like having to learn how to use a new phone.  Do you guys have any recommendations for a new phone, if not the Moto G?  She's not a power user by any means, but she uses Facebook a lot and a good camera is important to her. (Anything on par with the HTC One X's camera is fine)

Also, I upgraded to the Moto X 2013 last year from my One X and my mom said my phone was "too boring".  I think she was referring to the UI.

EDIT: Budget is around $200-250, we live in the US and have AT&T service

Some kind of budget would help.

As would country and carrier.

Does she like small or large phones, and what does she consider small or large?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Hey guys, so my mom's had an HTC One X for about 3 years now, and my dad and I want to get her a new phone for mother's day, since her phone is getting kinda laggy now and I think it's served its lifetime.  I had recommended the Moto G 2nd Gen to her a while back since it's price-friendly and the performance is probably close to the One X's, but she doesn't like having to learn how to use a new phone.  Do you guys have any recommendations for a new phone, if not the Moto G?  She's not a power user by any means, but she uses Facebook a lot and a good camera is important to her. (Anything on par with the HTC One X's camera is fine)

Also, I upgraded to the Moto X 2013 last year from my One X and my mom said my phone was "too boring".  I think she was referring to the UI.

What's your budget?

Where are you located?

Are you getting one on-contract or off-contract for your budget?

My mom also went from Sense (M7) to AOSP (Nexus 6) and thought it was "too boring" as well, but you get used to it.

"Rawr XD"

I recommend the Galaxy S6. Have been using it for 2 weeks now and it is phenomenal. TouchWiz bloat was toned down so its not a laggy mess like previous Galaxy flagships and the camera is above the rest of the (released) android flagships. Fingerprint sensor is much improved and I use it not just for unlocking the phone, but for unlocking several apps like Citibank and Discover. Show her some pictures of the UI and see if she likes it. 

Another recommendation would be the LG G4 but I have nothing to say since I don't have one and it is yet to be released :3.

EDIT: I'll most likely edit this post if/when you share a budget :3

Anime Addict |  My Rig: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZGrQxr

Some kind of budget would help.

As would country and carrier.

Does she like small or large phones, and what does she consider small or large?

Budget is around $200-250, we live in the US and have AT&T service.  I don't know what size phone she prefers, I just know that she likes the size of her One X, which is 4.7".  I guess small for her for be like, 4.3" and large would be 5.5".  I don't actually know, I'm just guessing.

What's your budget?

Where are you located?

Are you getting one on-contract or off-contract for your budget?

My mom also went from Sense (M7) to AOSP (Nexus 6) and thought it was "too boring" as well, but you get used to it.

Budget is around $200-250, we live in the US and have AT&T service.  I want to get her one off-contract, but if I had to, I could probably get her one on contract.  Depends on what my dad says, cause he's just having me find a good phone and he's buying it for her.

Budget is around $200-250, we live in the US and have AT&T service.  I don't know what size phone she prefers, I just know that she likes the size of her One X, which is 4.7".  I guess small for her for be like, 4.3" and large would be 5.5".  I don't actually know, I'm just guessing.

She'd have to learn a "new" OS, kind of, but why don't you grab a 2014 Moto G, get her a custom back plate (or case if she's into that) and throw Nova Launcher on there?

Then download a few packs, a bunch of other apps and you can have a very customized to her skin.

I was also going to recommend the Z3 Compact however they're a fair bit more expensive.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget is around $200-250, we live in the US and have AT&T service.  I want to get her one off-contract, but if I had to, I could probably get her one on contract.  Depends on what my dad says, cause he's just having me find a good phone and he's buying it for her.

For that price off-contract definitely give the Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3 a look. Literal Moto G2 killer IMO, especially if you don't mind being the first to get the latest Android update. http://www.amazon.com/ALCATEL-ONETOUCH-IDOL-SMARTPHONE-Unlocked/dp/B00V3U6FFK

"Rawr XD"

She'd have to learn a "new" OS, kind of, but why don't you grab a 2014 Moto G, get her a custom back plate (or case if she's into that) and throw Nova Launcher on there?

Then download a few packs, a bunch of other apps and you can have a very customized to her skin.

I was also going to recommend the Z3 Compact however they're a fair bit more expensive.

Yeah I was thinking about just getting her a Moto G and a micro SD card cause she's gonna be taking a lot of pictures.  But I won't be able to customize the phone for her until I come home for the summer.

For that price off-contract definitely give the Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3 a look. Literal Moto G2 killer IMO, especially if you don't mind being the first to get the latest Android update. http://www.amazon.com/ALCATEL-ONETOUCH-IDOL-SMARTPHONE-Unlocked/dp/B00V3U6FFK

Yeah that one looks pretty good.  I just have a hard time convincing my parents to buy products from lesser known brands, but I'll look into it

Yeah that one looks pretty good.  I just have a hard time convincing my parents to buy products from lesser known brands, but I'll look into it

Alcatel is quite a well known brand tbh, it's just that most people look at flagships for brands and Alcatel hasn't ever participated in that price category. Chances are your mom isn't hugely worried about quick updates to the latest version of Android, so the Idol 3 no doubt mops the floor with the latest Moto G, for a similar price point (and within your budget). 

"Rawr XD"