Rooting HTC One

Go to solution Solved by SteepGnomeKing,

The best custom Rom is the one that suits your needs. There are the popular ones out there but each one is different and offers different features. 

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2222

That would be your best place to start. That is for AT&T so change it to what ever carrier your phone is from originally not which one you are using for a sim with the unlocked code.

You really don't have to be a power user to have to want to root your phone. I Root my phone for other reasons such as a full back up. I have a lot of games I got for super cheap from the Humble Bundle Android. I don't want t have to spend the time redownloading those games and ever other app when I restore my phone or buy a new phone. 

You can keep the same Rom and add a kernel which depending on the phone and kernel can do many different things. Increasing battery life, more responsive wifi/cell response, Better looking screen, and overclocking/underclocking cpu with voltage changes.

Rooting and Roming doesn't change a unlocked phone to a locked phone it can't do that so no need to worry.

As for the app maybe uninstall everything, reboot, reinstall and see if that works. Remember that Google gives you a time frame, I think it is 10 minutes, before they charge your card after you buy something so that if in those 10 minutes you don't like it and problems arise you can return the game.

I'm a new android user. I really don't know much about rooting or custom roms so my first question is, What is the best Custom rom for the HTC One? And will installing a custom ROM mess with my unlock? I got an unlock code from at&t and waiting for my Sim to arrive.

Completely different question:

I bought all the expansions for Plague Inc and non of them download. I wasted $10 and already contacted the developers and I didn't get a reply. How do I go about getting my money back?

If you're not a power user, you're better off to stick to the stock ROM, unless there is a very specific feature of a custom ROM / root that you need.

I'm not sure whether it would mess with your unlock, however it shouldn't as I believe that's bootloader / baseband level.

Are the expansions in-app purchases? If so, there should be a option in the app to check purchases / sync with account. This should cause it to re-check for purchases in your Google account.

I need more SSDs.

The best custom Rom is the one that suits your needs. There are the popular ones out there but each one is different and offers different features. 

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2222

That would be your best place to start. That is for AT&T so change it to what ever carrier your phone is from originally not which one you are using for a sim with the unlocked code.

You really don't have to be a power user to have to want to root your phone. I Root my phone for other reasons such as a full back up. I have a lot of games I got for super cheap from the Humble Bundle Android. I don't want t have to spend the time redownloading those games and ever other app when I restore my phone or buy a new phone. 

You can keep the same Rom and add a kernel which depending on the phone and kernel can do many different things. Increasing battery life, more responsive wifi/cell response, Better looking screen, and overclocking/underclocking cpu with voltage changes.

Rooting and Roming doesn't change a unlocked phone to a locked phone it can't do that so no need to worry.

As for the app maybe uninstall everything, reboot, reinstall and see if that works. Remember that Google gives you a time frame, I think it is 10 minutes, before they charge your card after you buy something so that if in those 10 minutes you don't like it and problems arise you can return the game.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Thanks for the replies and I decided to download the Google play ROM. Stock android is much better and I feel like the battery life on my device has improved.