Getting a DDR4 compatible CPU. Help?

Go to solution Solved by Tagiau,

There is hardly any drop between x8 and x16. So the answer is, unless you plan on running 4 cards the 5930k won't offer anything over the 5820k. 

I'm planning on moving to ddr4 ram, and was hoping to get the intel 5820k, but read that it only had 28 pci lanes, and this could affect the performance of 2 gpus in sli. Would the performance hit be so noticeable that I should save up for the 5930k? or will I be fine?

I have 2 gpus in SLI on mine... no issues. You'll be just fine.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

There is hardly any drop between x8 and x16. So the answer is, unless you plan on running 4 cards the 5930k won't offer anything over the 5820k. 

You should really be asking for help on DDR4 because you're switching CPU, not the other way round. DDR4 is not worth switching platform. 

28 lanes is more than fine for 2 way SLI. 4 way SLI is where you may need to go for the 5930K

Thanks! I was just a bit worried since a few of the user reviews on new egg kept on mentioning the fact that it only had 28 lanes.

You should really be asking for help on DDR4 because you're switching CPU, not the other way round. DDR4 is not worth switching platform. 

28 lanes is more than fine for 2 way SLI. 4 way SLI is where you may need to go for the 5930K

Well my current pc is pretty shitty, and I built it on a $350 budget, so I'm planning to go all out on this one, and I don't want to spend on a top end ddr3 mobo and cpu, if I'll have to do switch eventually.

Well my current pc is pretty shitty, and I built it on a $350 budget, so I'm planning to go all out on this one, and I don't want to spend on a top end ddr3 mobo and cpu, if I'll have to do switch eventually.

You won't have to switch to X99... unless you're a content creator, there is zero reason to go X99.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

What are you using the system for? X99 is a waste of money unless you're a content creator. 

You won't have to switch to X99... unless you're a content creator, there is zero reason to go X99.

Apart from gaming I'm also going to be using Autocad and a whole lot.

Edit: plus 3DS max.