Dell Venue 8 Pro Doubt

sumitmak
Go to solution Solved by d3sl91,

Hello LTTF,

I will be buying a tablet, most preferably the Dell Venue 8 Pro, which will have windows 8.1 pre-installed. But should I buy it right now? or should I wait till windows 10 launches and get a tablet that comes with it.

And also, if I do get the aforementioned tablet, I have heard that I will be able to upgrade to windows 10 using an OTG cable and a pendrive. So will that be any beneficial at all?

The reason I am looking for tablets is that I will soon start my final year for my masters degree, and I will have be moving a lot for a couple of months. So I am looking for a tablet that will help me study(ebooks, lots of ebooks) and do some project work while I travel. And it seems that the Dell Venue 8 Pro is the best bet for now. Even it comes with its own stylus that may help me jot down some notes as well.

I will buy the tablet in this month (it just passed midnight so its May now) and if you guys suggest that I should wait till Windows 10 releases, I am fine with that as well. I am also open to suggestions for Android and iOS as well. I have even considered Nexus 7 as well, but the I will need to get a third-party stylus, mostly something from Adonit, but that will be hard to get as I couldn't find a seller for them here so I may have to get from international shipment. 

Please Help.

If its a good deal, just buy it. I just got an ASUS T100 - which is basically the same... just had a keyboard and 10" screen instead - and I will never buy another android or iOS tablet ever again. The ability to actually do.....whatever I want is quite a novel idea!

Don't pay more than $200USD for it though. 

Hello LTTF,

I will be buying a tablet, most preferably the Dell Venue 8 Pro, which will have windows 8.1 pre-installed. But should I buy it right now? or should I wait till windows 10 launches and get a tablet that comes with it.

And also, if I do get the aforementioned tablet, I have heard that I will be able to upgrade to windows 10 using an OTG cable and a pendrive. So will that be any beneficial at all?

The reason I am looking for tablets is that I will soon start my final year for my masters degree, and I will have be moving a lot for a couple of months. So I am looking for a tablet that will help me study(ebooks, lots of ebooks) and do some project work while I travel. And it seems that the Dell Venue 8 Pro is the best bet for now. Even it comes with its own stylus that may help me jot down some notes as well.

I will buy the tablet in this month (it just passed midnight so its May now) and if you guys suggest that I should wait till Windows 10 releases, I am fine with that as well. I am also open to suggestions for Android and iOS as well. I have even considered Nexus 7 as well, but the I will need to get a third-party stylus, mostly something from Adonit, but that will be hard to get as I couldn't find a seller for them here so I may have to get from international shipment. 

Please Help.

Can't beat the Nvidia Tablet but its your preference

http://shield.nvidia.com/tablet

I have even considered that, but I just feel that its mostly designed for gaming. Which I am not interested in a table. The shield apps are awesome, i did see a vid about it, but I wont be using them at all. And also, I will have to ship the shield tablet internationally and that would be my last resort if there isn't anything feasible at all.

I got a Stream 7, and its pretty good. Most of my problems are related to the gigabyte of RAM which is at 90% at boot (i'd install windows xp if i could). The Atom CPU is pretty good tho, but sometimes it kinda hangs there and you gotta wait, but that's a minor issue. Also, Google Chrome is not happening on these devices, stick to IE, it's way faster. Also, (on IE), it's fast enough to decode 4k on YouTube lol.

insert signature here

buy it and install windows 10 on it, if its anything like the asus t100 just use the windows 8 drivers

made my tablet so much snapier no more lag

Hello LTTF,

Please Help.

If its a good deal, just buy it. I just got an ASUS T100 - which is basically the same... just had a keyboard and 10" screen instead - and I will never buy another android or iOS tablet ever again. The ability to actually do.....whatever I want is quite a novel idea!

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I am actually getting the Dell tablet at $394, and the asus t100(the one with 500GB HDD) is also about the same price. Any recommendations for the ipad air 2?   :lol:

EDIT: Also, I just wanted to know, that I order a tablet (wifi version) from another country(like USA, if I import from amazon.com), I hope that I wont have any problems in upgrading the OS. So I hope these tablets aren't region locked.

Edited by sumitmak

I am actually getting the Dell tablet at $394, and the asus t100(the one with 500GB HDD) is also about the same price. Any recommendations for the ipad air 2?   :lol:

EDIT: Also, I just wanted to know, that I order a tablet (wifi version) from another country(like USA, if I import from amazon.com), I hope that I wont have any problems in upgrading the OS. So I hope these tablets aren't region locked.

I'd still stay with Windows tablet if you plan on being productive. 

For an e-reader.... you could go with a much cheaper Android tablet as well. But if you want to really be productive- windows. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I'd still stay with Windows tablet if you plan on being productive. 

For an e-reader.... you could go with a much cheaper Android tablet as well. But if you want to really be productive- windows. 

exactly what my thoughts were since I was looking for a tablet. just confirmed it :D

Thanks everyone

Venue 8 at $394? That's a massive price tag for such a low cost tablet. Which one to be exact?

Venue 8 at $394? That's a massive price tag for such a low cost tablet. Which one to be exact?

Its actually venue 8 pro 64 GB wifi version. And since I live in india, there is a little price increase.

for pure productivity i'd recommend a larger tablet, i have the venue 8 pro with keyboard, but it's too small to do usefull work on it, it works decently but it's not really productivity oriented (maybe the 11 inch venue?)

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

for pure productivity i'd recommend a larger tablet, i have the venue 8 pro with keyboard, but it's too small to do usefull work on it, it works decently but it's not really productivity oriented (maybe the 11 inch venue?)

Same thoughts, but I wont be doing much productive work in it, just some mild stuff. Actually, Im just waiting for the new tabs to come out after windows 10 releases. But if I get impatient I will just go grab either one. lol

Same thoughts, but I wont be doing much productive work in it, just some mild stuff. Actually, Im just waiting for the new tabs to come out after windows 10 releases. But if I get impatient I will just go grab either one. lol

in that case i can recommend it, it's a powerful tablet and quite speedy with some minor lag from time to time (not too bad) but the upgrade to win10 shouldn't be too difficult with a usb flash drive.

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

in that case i can recommend it, it's a powerful tablet and quite speedy with some minor lag from time to time (not too bad) but the upgrade to win10 shouldn't be too difficult with a usb flash drive.

Yes, but... I dont know. Time will tell. But its abt 85% confirmed that Im getting the venue 8 pro, maybe the venue 11 pro - but its a very low chance. Heck, I will finally have something from Dell  :lol: