Air Cooler for i5-3570K

Odde

So i'll be doing a new build in the end of february, and i'm mostly done with the setup, but one thing i havent decided on yet is the cpu cooler.

I wont be overclocking the cpu much since im not much of an overclocker, i might rise it to 4.0 Ghz but not more. the budget is 160$.

However i do not want a too big cooler, the mobo is a AsRock extreme 4 heard its not the best for overclock so if i get a cheaper cooler i could also upgrade the mobo.

The case is a Fractal design arc midi, with side window panel.

Thanks for your answers and have a nice day!

BUDGET IS REACHED, THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR ANSWERS.

/ Odde

Case: Fractal Design Arc V2, CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.0Ghz, COOLER: Noctua Nh-D14, GPU: Sapphire Radeon Hd7970 Vapor-X 3GB, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 16GB,

PSU: Fractal Design Newton R3 800W Plantinum, SSD: Samsung Basic 840- 120GB, HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200 RPM, Fans: 3x Fractal r2 Silent series 140mm, 2x Corsair AF 140mm.

Well, uhm.. I kind of don't want to say this but you could (I did) get away with a 4.2 on the stock cooler (for lolz).

You won't have to increase the voltage to get 4Ghz. As we know, more volts=more heat. But not always, increasing the frequency does make a tiny bit more heat (not any really, kind of some, It doesn't).

Just get a 212 Evo and be done with it. It should fit in that case. If not a Hyper TX3 will fit, or any little 92mm fan cooler you like.

160$ for a CPU cooler, that doesnt really rule out anything :)

160$ for a CPU cooler, that doesnt really rule out anything :)

I know thats why i have that budget cause i can't decie ;S

Case: Fractal Design Arc V2, CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.0Ghz, COOLER: Noctua Nh-D14, GPU: Sapphire Radeon Hd7970 Vapor-X 3GB, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 16GB,

PSU: Fractal Design Newton R3 800W Plantinum, SSD: Samsung Basic 840- 120GB, HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200 RPM, Fans: 3x Fractal r2 Silent series 140mm, 2x Corsair AF 140mm.

Well, uhm.. I kind of don't want to say this but you could (I did) get away with a 4.2 on the stock cooler (for lolz).

You won't have to increase the voltage to get 4Ghz. As we know, more volts=more heat. But not always, increasing the frequency does make a tiny bit more heat (not any really, kind of some, It doesn't).

Just get a 212 Evo and be done with it. It should fit in that case. If not a Hyper TX3 will fit, or any little 92mm fan cooler you like.

yea i just dont like the standard cooler hence why i want another, and i think i will go with the Evo seems cheap and have good reviews, however any good tips on fans that could fit it? im thinking of the sp 120mm due to the blue ring, and i have black/blue theme in the case.

thanks for your reply=)

I'm also using a 3570K with an Extreme4, I use a Hyper 212 Evo to cool.

The SP120's are alright. I have the quiet editions and they're quiet, not silent like I wanted :[

Really though you could easily get away with the included fan. It seems like you're going for looks so yes get any awesome looking 120mm fan you want :P

The SP120's are alright. I have the quiet editions and they're quiet, not silent like I wanted :[

Really though you could easily get away with the included fan. It seems like you're going for looks so yes get any awesome looking 120mm fan you want :P

Yea have to pay some attention to it since i will buy the extra side panel with the window(dont like fan mounts on the side) so some pretty looks is nice :P

I'm also using a 3570K with an Extreme4, I use a Hyper 212 Evo to cool.
how are the temps?

NZXT fans are nice. Black and white.

I'm a little worried about what I suggested, I'd hate for you to get it and it not fit in the case. You might want to get a 92mm cooler for safe measure, unless someone else comes along and confirms a 212 will fit.

NZXT fans are nice. Black and white.

I'm a little worried about what I suggested, I'd hate for you to get it and it not fit in the case. You might want to get a 92mm cooler for safe measure, unless someone else comes along and confirms a 212 will fit.

the Arc Midi spec page says 180mm clearance for cpu cooler and the evo is 160? so that'd me 20mm spare

Ahh alright, sounds good. Oh and now I don't think the SP120's will fit on the Evo because of the fan mounts for the cooler. Do your research, I still think you could get away with the fan that comes with the cooler. GL

Ahh alright, sounds good. Oh and now I don't think the SP120's will fit on the Evo because of the fan mounts for the cooler. Do your research, I still think you could get away with the fan that comes with the cooler. GL
yea i'll look around for some fans, thank for your time!

i have the Basic Coolermaster Hyper 212+ (not the EVO) and it works wonders with my Scythe UltraKaze Fan. plus that Extreme 4 motherboard should be Fine for Overclocking. im useing the dumbed down Version of it. The Z75 Pro 3 (striped down Extreme 4). and i can overclock pretty high. ( got 5ghz stable but i have temp issues. 3570ks run stupidly hot...)

i wouldnt worry about Investing more into MOBO unless u specifically need more PCI slots or what to have a nicer looking mobo because of your side window or an easier BIOS/UEFI to work in.

just get a nice cooler and thermal paste and you should be good to go. :)

i5-3570k @ 4.5ghz at 1.2v (5ghz @ 1.4v max stable) , Radeon HD 7850 @ 1200/1450 Clocks http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/kasmr/, AsRock Z75 Pro3 Mobo, 8gb of 1333mhz ram @ 1600-8-9-8-16.

i have the Basic Coolermaster Hyper 212+ (not the EVO) and it works wonders with my Scythe UltraKaze Fan. plus that Extreme 4 motherboard should be Fine for Overclocking. im useing the dumbed down Version of it. The Z75 Pro 3 (striped down Extreme 4). and i can overclock pretty high. ( got 5ghz stable but i have temp issues. 3570ks run stupidly hot...)

i wouldnt worry about Investing more into MOBO unless u specifically need more PCI slots or what to have a nicer looking mobo because of your side window or an easier BIOS/UEFI to work in.

just get a nice cooler and thermal paste and you should be good to go. :)

yea i did a mistake, i did a shopping list on the stores website im buying from and i did by mistake yesterday remove the hdd so i thought i had more money over for some wierd reason. all back to budget now, and it'll be the evo which will be my cooler with 2 fractal silent r2. (having black white theme in case for clean looks)

With that budget, what ever you get put some Noctua fans on it to increase performance and lower noise.

NZXt Havik, NH-D14, Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme, are the top three air coolers right now. I know the NH-D14 (which is probably the best of the three), fits the Arc Midi.

Also that motherboard is a decent overclocker, btw.

Yea like Helltech said Get a Noctua air cooler like a D14 its a very good cooler and for your case fans you could get Noctua fans to make your computer quiet.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I'm running a 3570k with a Hyper 212; idle it stays around 30 degrees, max I've managed to get it to was around 65 on Prime95.

Edit: I'm also using 2 Corsair SP120 Performance edition fans in push/pull, but even with the stock fan the temps were almost exactly the same.